Thread: New member! (Hip/TBL)

Length
    Chin/TBL/Term
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

Default New member! (Hip/TBL)

Hi, everyone!

This is the tale of sushiqueen:

Growing up, my hair was always "long" (mid-back length), but never past that, because my mom would take me to get it cut. At the end of high school, I decided to be a Punk™ and get it cut to shoulder length (donating the rest). Then I became even more of a PUNK™ and got it cut in a tapered bob for a play I was in. Then, I went through some friend group drama, became the Punkiest Punk of All™, and angrily cut it myself to chin length. I don't think I even cut it evenly. Lol. Then, I went away to college, and because I didn't know how to go to a haircut place without my mom (I have some mild social anxiety that makes me nervous about going to new stores/shops/restaurants/etc.) I just let it grow. And grow. And grow. And now that I'm about to graduate, my hair is hip length/mid-butt length. I didn't notice it was unusually long till recently. Haha.

Over the past year, I've acquired a few pandemic hobbies, including historically-inspired fashion, corsets, and long hair! I used to shampoo and condition every morning (yep, even when it was waist-length... -_-), but in January 2021 I started washing once a week, using a boar-bristle brush, and bunning my hair most days/nights. I can't tell if it's made my hair any different (except for training my scalp to produce less oil, or maybe shifting my standards for what "oily" is)...but man, it's so much easier now. I don't have to wash it most days, and I don't have to worry about tangles 'cause it's up. Who says long hair is more hassle than short hair?? ;) I don't completely remember how I stumbled across this forum (I think it was after finding Gossamer's hair tutorials on YouTube) but I've been lurking a lot recently and thought I'd join! And now that I've become hair-aware, I want to see how long my hair can possibly become. I'm excited because I'm only five feet tall, so my hair will become "longer" quicker. Haha.

I'd love to learn some new hairstyles! My go-to has been a nautilus topknot (hurts my scalp less since it's sitting on top of my scalp instead of pulling my scalp down) with spin pins (an absolute game-changer; bobby pins who?), but you all have so many cool braids and buns and hair toys and I want to be *Ariel voice* paaart of your wooorld!

Also, I've noticed that my scalp is really particular about the direction my hair is going (whether it's swept up for a topknot, or hanging down for a low bun/braid/pony). I think that whatever direction I let it dry after washes is the way it gets "stuck," and if I try to change the direction of the hair, my scalp hurts until my next wash. Not a big deal if I wear the same style all week, but annoying if I need to switch styles. Does anyone else experience that?

Length
    BSL/calf/floor
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Default Re: New member! (Hip/TBL)

Welcome to the Longhair™ club

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Welcome to the forum!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Welcome!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome!

I will crawl out from your screen

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/TBL/Term
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

Thank you, everyone! <3

Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Welcome!
    [Shaved | Pixie |Chin | Shoulder | APL |BSL | Waist | Onward...]

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Welcome!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Welcome, have fun. I wouldn't say that my scalp hurts when I change styles because I change all the time without noticing anything. However, there are days when NOTHING is comfortable.