Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If you HAD to wash your hair every day...

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: If you HAD to wash your hair every day...

Quote Originally Posted by bparnell75 View Post
    I also recommend scalp washes
    I would do that if I was OP, for sure. And then wash it fully end of the week. Seems like it is the best example of a "case" where it would work very very well!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/CL/?
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Apart from what others mentioned, there are also a lot of 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner products, that are more gentle than shampoos. Just in case the CO wash doesn't work for you.

Length
    waist/TB/long

This could be a good time to try water-only washing. If that's not enough, conditioner-only washing should work. You could also switch back and forth between the two.

Best of luck with whatever you try.

Length
    12/27in/36 in
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lakhesis View Post
    Apart from what others mentioned, there are also a lot of 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner products, that are more gentle than shampoos. Just in case the CO wash doesn't work for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakhesis View Post
    I agree. I used to do a fairly harsh shampoo wash every other day, because my scalp would get greasy and I'd get a lot of the gritty white stuff forming. I found that changing to a combination poo/conditioner has helped me stretch my washes to four days - no itchy scalp after two days, and grease has lessened. Seems to add some volume as well.

I just scalp wash most of the time: protecting the ends with conditioner before scalp washing. I've found I hardly ever get splits (I wear updos every day and braids in bed). I have very fine semi-wavy hair.

Having said all that, I don't think washing every day or every other day damaged my hair: I was not wearing protective styles or braids in bed, I believe that's what did the damage.
    Last edited by ZoeZ; May 31st, 2021 at 09:57 AM.

Length
    ChinL/MBL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

If it were me I would CO wash everyday not use shampoo everyday. Now, before CO-washing got popular I used to wash or use shampoo on my hair every single day and it didn't dry it out at all. Because, I replenished it with an oil right after every wash. Plus, I would do hot oil treatments every other week and deep moisturizing conditioning treatment also every other week to keep my hair and scalp well-moisturized.
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

Length
    Bob/28"/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

What I would do in a situation like you have described (hot sweat helmety horse work all day long, slow drying hair) -

Get up, braid hair, put helmet on, do horse things all day long. (sounds fun!!)

As soon as work day is over, make weak ACV solution, hit the shower.
    On Sundays and Wednesdays, shampoo and condition. On all other days, ACV and rinse only.
    Leave hair down and open as you go through the rest of the late afternoon/evening - dinner, chores, campfire, post dinner walks, whatever (as safety allows - if camp safety doesn't allow for very long loose hair, consider maybe a long hair snood or net - something that will allow air in to your hair, so it can dry a bit)
    Loosely braid for bed
    Get up the next morning, repeat.
    Last edited by Saldana; June 5th, 2021 at 09:07 AM.

Start October 25, 2020: 24", Goal #1: 32", Goal #2: terminal

24"...25"...26"...27"...28"...29"...30"...31"...32"

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89 View Post
    I would probably just rinse my scalp with water or maybe an ACV rinse. That would be much gentler than anything else and should still clean it well enough.
    This. I grew up in the tropics accustomed to water washing hair every time I took a shower. Since it's so hot some days I did it twice. I kept that habit even though I live in a temperate zone now. It works well enough. I did it going to holiday camps as a teen where daily activities would be hiking and wild games.
    Kay , BSL > MBL > Waist > Hip

Length
    ChinL/MBL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by florenonite View Post
    Would CO washing work? That's what I did when I was a swimming instructor and had to wash my hair every day after being in the chlorinated pool. I washed with shampoo if my hair was greasy before going in the pool, and otherwise washed with just conditioner after being in the water.
    Oh yeah, CO washing will definitely work! Especially as you are in the pool every single day. Because, like the saying goes, "Chlorinated water is not good for the hair," and that's why you do have to wash your hair everyday.
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

hair-brained
    Length
    pixi/butt/butt+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by bparnell75 View Post
    I also recommend scalp washes
    Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I would do that if I was OP, for sure. And then wash it fully end of the week. Seems like it is the best example of a "case" where it would work very very well!
    I'm going to be contrary because horsies are the sweetest, but stables are smelly personally I'd prefer getting the smell out of the whole hair, not just washing the sweat off the scalp. Though some are not as smell-senstive, so ymmv of course!

Also I wash about every 2-3 days with sulfates, and don't see much of a difference in my hair from stretching washes or washing daily, so all-in-all I'd probably just go at my hair with shampoo and conditioner every day. I think one theory why one should stretch washes and not wash daily is "hygral fatigue" but I'm not sure how common this actually is or if it should be a concern if you have otherwise healthy hair
    ᛃ 2008: 24cm/10" ᛃ 2015: 41cm/16" 2021: 104cm/42"
    instagrampre-poocwc wccpuppy

Length
    SHL/34.5/35.4
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Depends on your scalp. Mine is super sensitive, meanin I can't put conditioner anywhere near my scalp or it will blow up. But if you're not as sensitive that may be an option? Also, some milder shampoo would probably be an ok option?
    Growing virgin hip length