Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It's stupid to not get trims for years?

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL?
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: It's stupid to not get trims for years?

Yup, this is very person dependent. I wear my hair down a lot and daily wash. I know Iím someone that needs trims more. But even for me, I trim maybe twice a year, with S&D in between. Itís my compromise between wearing my hair how I like it, but still preserving the majority of growth.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/Waist/TBL+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    I wonder sometimes if hair stylists are actually taught misinformation, so they genuinely believe what they are saying. And of course their experience seeing heads of hair would confirm what they've been taught, because heat styling and dyeing ARE damaging and nobody seems to know about actually protective styles, or that mechanical damage is a HUGE factor for already-damaged hair. Perhaps the industry is designed to keep people ignorant, including the professionals who honestly think they are doing what's best for hair, thinking that the things they do to mitigate damage actually make up for it, and that the way they see damaged hair behaving is just the way hair is.
    Yeah, thatís a good point as well. It very well could be that a lot of hairstylists just go by what they are taught in cosmetology school, which is all teaching designed to make money. Maybe sometimes they mean well but are ignorant about what actually constitutes healthy hair. The entire industry is built around that kind of ignorance and unrealistic beauty standards... Kinda messed up when you think about it.

Length
    APL/APL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I don't think it's stupid if you like keeping up with having a blunt or clean cut. If you're trying to grow it out, you only need trims when it's necessary for you

Length
    bsl/mbl/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/iii

I'm not a fan of throwing around the word stupid, myself, in regards to anything that is individual to a person. Particularly something so VERY individual as haircare.

That said, I haven't trimmed in a year but I don't get splits. Low-po, babyfine hair here.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GordonMurphella View Post
    I'm not a fan of throwing around the word stupid, myself, in regards to anything that is individual to a person. Particularly something so VERY individual as haircare.

That said, I haven't trimmed in a year but I don't get splits. Low-po, babyfine hair here.
    Yes, exactly, that word had me go, "what?" for a second. It's kind of a clickbaity title isn't it? To be fair. Along the lines of the titles you often see on a YT video. Well, it reeled me in. Usually I go, "I'm not watching that!", or I skip the video in major parts because I know it's clickbait.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I have hair that loves to split, so for me it truly is a bad idea to go too long without trimming. When we moved from Washington to Ohio, I was busy and there was a lot to cope with and get used to so I didn't trim or even look at my ends for about 18 months. Then I examined my ends, and just about every single end was split. Some hairs were split so badly that they looked like feathers at the end.

Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

My hair likes to split (see username), but if I trimmed it, I would just gradually get shorter and shorter. Not to mention most of my splits aren't even at the ends, so trimming wouldn't do much anyway. I *still* want to try the "split-ender" despite it looking kind of scary, since I barely have the patience for S&D.

Length
    22/41/50
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

I haven’t trimmed in 2.5 years also. I probably won’t trim until around the 3 year mark which will be this coming November. But maybe not, we’ll see. I went from around BSL to tailbone in 2.5 years.

Length
    Buzz/CBL+/Long
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I only trim when I have extensive damage or need to freshen up my hemline.
    Otherwise I just S&D to deal with splits, my fine hair is somehow extremely resilient and rarely splits. I even stopped using my satin pillowcase and my hair is still perfectly healthy.
    More than halfway between CBL and APL!!!
    APL by New Years 2022!?!? Goal is classic+
    Art Blog on WordPress

Length
    ankle/calf/calf
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

No, I do not believe it is “stupid” to not trim for years. However, I am a big believer in trims, because:

1. Most strands grow at different speeds. Not trimming will encourage tapering out much sooner. By trimming, those fast growers are kept somewhat in line with the slower growers.

2. For my part, past knee created very rough and tangly strands, primarily because the strands were very old. Trimming back to knee really helped keep the tangles away. I think anything past classic is a challenge in this regard.

3. I trim every 3 months, no matter what length I am. This helps to minimize the taper and keep the ends from being so tangly.

Of course, if a person wants an uneven hemline more quickly, not trimming for a long time will produce that. However, I must add that hair texture and whether or not the hair is straight or wavy may be a factor. I really think it depends on what is beautiful to the person.