Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 383

Thread: Homemade Conditioner Ingredients??

  1. #1
    Member K_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    1,359
    Length
    bob/Waist/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

    Default Homemade Conditioner Ingredients??

    I'm hoping someone can help me with this.
    Recently, I've tried probably 20 or more commercial
    conditioners and I'm just so frustrated. I thought
    maybe I could make something simple that had only
    what my hair needed in it? Could be wishful thinking
    on my part.

    I've never made anything like this before. And I was wondering how would I know what was safe to add to this? For example my hair likes glycerin. Can I add that to this? The company that has this product only gave FO/EO adds information. I just don't want to accidentally add anything that would fry my hair.

    Does anyone know what ingredients do the following in homemade/commercial conditioner?
    Make hair soft? Make hair shiny? Make hair wavy? Make hair detangled? Make hair full?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

    ETA: Links to places to buy ingredients for Homemade Conditioner

    In U.S.
    Aroma-Zone
    Aussie Soap Supplies
    Brambleberry
    From Nature with Love
    Garden of Wisdom
    The Herbarie
    Lotioncrafter
    Mountain Rose Herbs
    Nature's Gift
    Organic Creations
    The Personal formulator
    Pharmpress
    The Ponte Vedra Soap Shoppe
    Pvsoap
    Snowdrift Farm
    The Soap Dish
    Wholesale Supplies Plus
    http://www.camdengrey.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?
    Texas Natural Supply http://www.texasnaturalsupply.com/de...x?categoryid=0
    Majestic Mountain Sage http://www.thesage.com/
    Dandelion Botanical Company (bulk herbs) http://www.dandelionbotanical.com

    In Canada:
    Voyageur Soap & Candle
    Creations from Eden (in Edmonton)

    Recipes and Instructions:
    Swift Crafty Monkey


    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Last edited by K_Angel; September 16th, 2010 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Adding information. Adding links.

  2. #2
    has left the building
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    here
    Posts
    2,879
    Length
    short/22/waist

    Default Re: Homemade Conditioner Ingredients??

    This doensn't quite answer your question, but have you tried acv rinses?
    [SIGP

  3. #3
    Member K_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    1,359
    Length
    bob/Waist/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

    Default Re: Homemade Conditioner Ingredients??

    Hennaphile:

    Actually I have tried ACV. 5 years ago it was a dream come true when my Grandma told me they did that "back in the day." It made my hair look glorious.
    Today it just fries my hair to no end. Go figure, huh?

  4. #4
    has left the building
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    here
    Posts
    2,879
    Length
    short/22/waist

    Default Re: Homemade Conditioner Ingredients??

    Quote Originally Posted by K_Angel View Post
    Hennaphile:

    Actually I have tried ACV. 5 years ago it was a dream come true when my Grandma told me they did that "back in the day." It made my hair look glorious.
    Today it just fries my hair to no end. Go figure, huh?
    I've had both experiences with acv. Beer rinses are nice though, you might want to give those a try
    [SIGP

  5. #5
    Member K_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    1,359
    Length
    bob/Waist/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

    Default Re: Homemade Conditioner Ingredients??

    Quote Originally Posted by hennaphile View Post
    I've had both experiences with acv. Beer rinses are nice though, you might want to give those a try
    I had contemplated that, but I REALLY hate the smell of beer.
    And I"m not sure how well I'd do with it sitting on my hair or if it
    kept smelling like that afterward....

    But thank you very much for the suggestions! I appreciate it!

  6. #6
    Member pinchbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,114

    Default Re: Homemade Conditioner Ingredients??

    I share the same frustrations with you and will add that the expense of prepared conditioner is a bit much because I prefer the fragrance free all natural versions.

    Conditioner bases are available as are the ingredients that make them and some have reviews written about their performance. I have the websites in my bookmarks (will post them here later). I think they are a great idea. The websites point out what percentage of eo's can be added.

    Ingredients I have thought about adding to these bases are (not necessarily at the same time):
    -vegetable glycerin
    -essential oils of my choice (some impart shine)
    -molasses
    -honey
    -aloe vera in powder form (also available on these websites)
    -herbal infusions such as marshmallow, etc.
    -carrier oils of my choice (jojoba, camellia, borage, olive, etc.)

    I think it would be fun to experiment to find out what my hair needs are. On the flipside it could potentially be frustrating. I hope members who have already experimented come across this post to shares the pros and cons.

    ETA: I read that Broccoli Seed Oil behaves similarly to Silicone.
    Last edited by pinchbeck; December 16th, 2009 at 11:18 AM.

  7. #7
    Member CailinNua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Age
    50
    Posts
    247
    Type
    1c/F/i

    Default Re: Homemade Conditioner Ingredients??

    Hi there,

    I'm not sure if this site will be any use to you but it sells ingredients for making your own products and it describes what each ingredient is used for. It also has some instruction pdfs and courses in natural hair and skin care. I've no connection with them apart form having bought coconut oil etc from them.

    I've been toying with the idea of trying to make my own conditioner, just a small batch so I don't need preservative. I was going to include a bit of coconut oil as it seems to help shine, softness, strength and tangles. Honey seems to help with shine, softness and gives a good consistency when I add it to mixes. And it's a humectant so depending on humidity I guess it's moisturising.

    The only thing I've heard of helping with wave is amla - maybe I should use a bit of that as I'd like to improve my natural wave. My hair is so fine that the wave seems to drop out quickly. Maybe some yoghurt for protein - my hair seems to like protein, it gives a bit of strength and body to the fine roots especially. Knowing me, I'd add a wee drop of white vinegar although the honey, amla and yoghurt are acidic anyway.

    If I get around to trying it, I'll let you know if it does anything good to my hair! I'd be interested to know how you get on too. Good luck!

  8. #8
    Member K_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    1,359
    Length
    bob/Waist/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinchbeck View Post
    I share the same frustrations with you and will add that the expense of prepared conditioner is a bit much because I prefer the fragrance free all natural versions.

    Conditioner bases are available as are the ingredients that make them and some have reviews written about their performance. I have the websites in my bookmarks (will post them here later). I think they are a great idea. The websites point out what percentage of eo's can be added.

    Ingredients I have thought about adding to these bases are (not necessarily at the same time):
    -vegetable glycerin
    -essential oils of my choice (some impart shine)
    -molasses
    -honey
    -aloe vera in powder form (also available on these websites)
    -herbal infusions such as marshmallow, etc.
    -carrier oils of my choice (jojoba, camellia, borage, olive, etc.)

    I think it would be fun to experiment to find out what my hair needs are. On the flipside it could potentially be frustrating. I hope members who have already experimented come across this post to shares the pros and cons.

    ETA: I read that Broccoli Seed Oil behaves similarly to Silicone.
    It's true it could be frustrating, but at least I would feel I was on the right side of trying. You know?

    With commercial brands it seems that they have most of the ingredients that are great for my hair, but they just had to add that one thing that doesn't work....

    I think because I've gone through bottle after bottle of trying so many... I think I"m ready for a little experimentation. Or at the very least I don't feel so afraid to try it now. Before I would have been so intimidated by it. Now I sort of welcome just adding one ingredient at a time to see what works and what doesn't.

    Like you, I really want to add some lovely glycerin into the mix. And I'm not a big color/fragrance person, so I like the idea of it being stripped down to basics. Besides, I could make it smell like coconut or roses... and that would be soooooooooooooo nice!

    I also like the idea of adding only a little camellia japonica oil, which is the only one that doesn't do funky things to my hair.

    I've never tried broccoli oil.... and to tell the truth, I find it somehow very funny to think of someone squeezing a broccoli to see if it had oil they could use. Ok, maybe it's just late and it hit my funny bone???

    Quote Originally Posted by CailinNua View Post
    Hi there,

    I'm not sure if this site will be any use to you but it sells ingredients for making your own products and it describes what each ingredient is used for. It also has some instruction pdfs and courses in natural hair and skin care. I've no connection with them apart form having bought coconut oil etc from them.

    I've been toying with the idea of trying to make my own conditioner, just a small batch so I don't need preservative. I was going to include a bit of coconut oil as it seems to help shine, softness, strength and tangles. Honey seems to help with shine, softness and gives a good consistency when I add it to mixes. And it's a humectant so depending on humidity I guess it's moisturising.

    The only thing I've heard of helping with wave is amla - maybe I should use a bit of that as I'd like to improve my natural wave. My hair is so fine that the wave seems to drop out quickly. Maybe some yoghurt for protein - my hair seems to like protein, it gives a bit of strength and body to the fine roots especially. Knowing me, I'd add a wee drop of white vinegar although the honey, amla and yoghurt are acidic anyway.

    If I get around to trying it, I'll let you know if it does anything good to my hair! I'd be interested to know how you get on too. Good luck!
    Oh thank you very much for the URL! It's exactly what I was looking for. I'm trying to "educate" myself on what is what... and that's the kind of thing that explains how it all works!

    I wonder how one would add amla to a conditioner? Would you have to make it a paste and add it or??? Hmmmmm....

    I noticed on one of the sites that sold "make your own" conditioner that they had some sort of protein you can buy to add to your mix. I was thinking, since my hair likes a little bit of protein, that I would try that too.

    I think I"m getting more and more excited about the idea of trying to make a "formula" just suited for my hair. Plus, I was thinking the advantage would definitely be that since seasonally I have slightly different hair needs... I could adjust that too.

    After a bit more research... I really think I'm going to try it!

    Also, just FYI, there's a 2a/F thread and I know they'd be interested in hearing what all you've tried and has worked or not worked.
    Last edited by Teacherbear; March 4th, 2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: merge 2 posts

  9. #9
    Member karli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Age
    51
    Posts
    267
    Length
    26/waist/tb
    Type
    2a/F/ii

    Default Re: Homemade Conditioner Ingredients??

    450 ml destilled water
    20 g stearamidopropyl dimethylamine(emulsifier)
    12 g cetylalkohol
    10 g jojoba
    5 ml glycerin
    paraben
    lactic acid

    This is what I am experimenting with. Right now, I use shea instead of jojoba and an other preservative. There are so many things you can change and by adding and removing small quantities you get big differences in the result.
    Last edited by karli; December 17th, 2009 at 05:06 AM. Reason: wanted to add all ingredience

  10. #10
    Member K_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific NW, USA
    Posts
    1,359
    Length
    bob/Waist/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

    Default Re: Homemade Conditioner Ingredients??

    Quote Originally Posted by karli View Post
    450 ml destilled water
    20 g stearamidopropyl dimethylamine(emulsifier)
    12 g cetylalkohol
    10 g jojoba
    5 ml glycerin
    paraben


    This is what I am experimenting with. Right now, I use shea instead of jojoba and an other preservative. There are so many things you can change and by adding and removing small quantities you get big differences in the result.
    This is the base conditioner I was thinking of using:

    Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Dimethyl Stearamine, Lactic Acid

    And then adding from there.

    I'm wondering how do I know when I am done adding things if it safe to put on my hair? Is there a pH that I have to be careful about?

    Off topic: The picture of you and your daughter in your siggy is absolutely darling!

    Thank you for your recipe!
    Last edited by K_Angel; December 17th, 2009 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Forgot something.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •