Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camila clips?

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Camila clips?

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Don't get me wrong; willing to spend on hair accessories, but I think... for claw clips? I don't know. I'm cheap on those, because I break them a lot.

Had never heard of the brand. We have "Zenner" as our most popular claw clip maker in Belgium.
    Back in the day claw clips would last for many years, now they break almost immediately. The material got cheaper. If I spend $5 a year replacing the clips that die within a year but I could spend $15 for a clip I could trust to last five years I'd pay $15 without hesitation. Heck, even $20 would save $5 in the long run. The question is, how long do they hold up?

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    Back in the day claw clips would last for many years, now they break almost immediately. The material got cheaper. If I spend $5 a year replacing the clips that die within a year but I could spend $15 for a clip I could trust to last five years I'd pay $15 without hesitation. Heck, even $20 would save $5 in the long run. The question is, how long do they hold up?
    Yeah, I almost am not willing to risk it... I mean the clip in the private album I dropped... a lot. And it was €1 (shop about to close down and a discounter at that, called, "Saldo"), but hey yeah, there is that dilemma. Definitely.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    27.5"/35"/36"
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I can tell you that they are decently sturdy enough, I will post a picture of the four I got with a detailed review on each. I definitely have already concluded which of them are better than others, but I can say with confidence that all the ones I got to hold my buns securely as much so as the ficcare miniature claw clips that my husband paid $26 each for. More to come.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Oh that's awesome.

Length
    27.5"/35"/36"
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Okay so I took photos, I will post them here with my thoughts. BUT - my over arching argument to spending a LITTLE more on clips is that 3 out of 4 times it is worth it. They DO last longer. When I buy Wal-mart clips I get Wal-mart experience. They don't last long and the spring is crappy and hairs get caught in them and they are a nightmare. I regret buying them.

Spend more = get more. Smoother texture *usually, and protected springs to where there is no snagging and don't snap when me or my children drop them. Also they tend to look nicer which is a huge plus since I wear them a longer time. If I am wearing something a lot, it is worth it to spend more money for one I really like that is better quality.

NOW - that is not to say that some companies don't charge a lot for crap clips. I work hard to avoid that mess, but it still occasionally happens.

CLIP 1

This clip is easily the best of my purchases. Holds like a dream and is super smooth. The spring is ABOVE the rotation point of the clip so no hairs can get caught also. My husband gets 5 stars on this one.

CLIP 2

This one is the epitome of why you should be careful buying expensive clips. The inside is ROUGH. I love the rest of the clip though. I have no idea why they would rough up a clip like this. If anyone wants it or think they can fix it, LET ME KNOW. I will even mail it to you just to be nice - keep it.

CLIP 3

This one is FABO. It holds a great French twist the long hair way, twisted on itself for length reasons. It also does a super chic half-updo or low ponytail. I love this clip. So fun!!!

CLIP 4

Another great one, this one holds a cinnabun from the outermost wrap really well, similar to how I like to use my ficcare miniature clips. I think it would also do other buns well, as well as half ups.
    Last edited by Strands; May 17th, 2021 at 06:11 PM.
    I am Christian. This said, if you post to me in an effort to make a micro-aggression against my faith, values, freedoms, or against my religion; refrain. I do not tell others what to do and expect the same respect in return both on LHC and IRL. Thank you.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I think I like the 3rd one the best. Looks like it can hold a *lot* of hair.

Length
    27.5"/35"/36"
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I think I like the 3rd one the best. Looks like it can hold a *lot* of hair.
    It does. It holds my entire French twist that I twist on itself in a nautilus type of situation. Pretty impressive for a smaller clip in terms of prongs/length.

Oh well. That second one that is just a disappointment is up for grabs to anyone who wants it or thinks they can fix it. (within the USA because shipping and I will mail it myself.)
    I am Christian. This said, if you post to me in an effort to make a micro-aggression against my faith, values, freedoms, or against my religion; refrain. I do not tell others what to do and expect the same respect in return both on LHC and IRL. Thank you.

Length
    13/34/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Oh Camila Paris! Yes I like them. I bought some from Hair Boutique a long time ago. The material is sturdy and none of mine have broken. Although I would say when it comes to the strength of the hinges Ficcare is still the best. Mostly because they're metal and can withstand the pressure. Some plastic clips have really strong springs that would crack the claws if you closed it too quickly.

Length
    27.5"/35"/36"
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire-o View Post
    Oh Camila Paris! Yes I like them. I bought some from Hair Boutique a long time ago. The material is sturdy and none of mine have broken. Although I would say when it comes to the strength of the hinges Ficcare is still the best. Mostly because they're metal and can withstand the pressure. Some plastic clips have really strong springs that would crack the claws if you closed it too quickly.
    Iím glad to hear a good report! I really like the three good ones I got. 😁 I saw a ficcare look a like by them so I might try that one next.

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    I stopped buying plastic claw clips a few years ago. After investing a small amount of money in some metal claw clips from Kitsch and maybe another brand, I don't have to keep replacing broken plastic ones. The metal ones are also much better for transporting in a purse or suitcase. They also don't have seams.