Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Me Your.... Favorite Hair Toys

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Red face Show Me Your.... Favorite Hair Toys

Tell me about your favorite toys and post a pic of them either in your hair or grouped together please. I want to know the vendor, approximate length, why it's your fav, how you use it, and any other important details. You can show off your top 10, top 5, or just the very best one..you decide.

Let's see the pretties!

Length
    2"/58"/Ni!
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Cinnamon Hair .. You should start! lol I've been lost in the pages of your website, I know how awesome your hair toy collection is!

~♥~ Proud Member of the Renegray Gang ~♥~
    Lady Elishar of Light and Prophecy in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I haven't narrowed it down just yet, but will post as soon as I decide on a few favorites.

Type
    1b/F/ii

I'll have to think a little about the rest, but I can right now show you my absolute favourite hairsticks.

Quattro StarLite serpentines, 5" long. They can be used in most buns I wear and I just like the simpleness of the design. I'm not a very glittery kind of person, I usually prefer the more understated look and I love simple silver jewellery, these sticks match a lot of my jewellery.

Type
    1b/M/ii

This was my first fork and I ordered it from monkthemonk. It's my favorite by far and I use it all the time. It has 3 prongs and is made of tulipwood. 4 3/4 prong length the top is a little less then an inch tall and 1.5 inches wide. Obviously sturdy considering it's survived many a fall and is still beautiful. The length is ideal and it's slightly curved which I've discovered works for me the best. Even the wide prong set is perfect. I love it so much I think I'm going to order the exact same shape in maple and cocobolo.
    This is also by monkthemonk and pictures say more then enough. It's friggin gorgeous and I love how we collaberated on it's design. It's a straight fork almost 6.5 inches total and the wide set prongs are 5 inches.

I can't find it right now, if I lost it I'll cry, but I love my serpentine Quattro stick. It's the only thing I can use to wet bun. Thicker sticks are to hard to insert and the weight of a ficcare plus wet hair gives me headaches.

And I have a feeling that the leopard print ficcare I just ordered will be a favorite as well

Great topic Cinnamon Hair I can't wait to see what you post.

*sorry about the picture size you guys, photobucket is not working for me right now.

I did then what I knew how to do. When I knew better, I did better. Maya Angelou

Length
    17"/30"/50"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Hmm.. this was harder than I imagined!
    In my case there's a difference between the ones I love because of the way they look - or I love because they make secure updos..
    But this is the result - I think:

No. 1 Ladybird glass stick
    Vendor: a Dutch woman making pretties out of glass at Castlefest
    Appox. total length: 6"
    Why? It's just very special to me. I made the design for the stick myself and it reminds me of the fantastic vacasion I had in the Netherlands with CryssieWillow - and it's preeeeeetty and shiiiiiny!
    How I use it: I only use it on occasion - and mostly in plain cinnabuns..
    No. 2 Orangewood with lapiz bead
    Vendor:Catstyle_designs on Ebay
    Aprox. total length: 5,3"
    Why?Well, isn't it obvious? It's gorgeous! I'm so happy I got it! The color combination lightens up any updo and I can make updos last all day with it.
    How I use it:In cinnabuns, flipped up buns, braided buns etc.
    No. 3 Aqua dymondwood
    Vendor:60th st
    Aprox. total length: 4,5"
    Why? I love the bright color. It's a part of my "kit", I bring it everywhere because it's so easy to insert in a quick 'do.. no fiddling, it's just holds like a rock!
    How I use it:In KL knots, cinnabuns etc -- any bun basically..

Other pretties: I pretty much use these for buns mentioned above - the long ones (+6") in chinese buns)
    1) Another 60st street fork - 4,5" total
    2) Graydog "woodrose" - 6" total
    3) Graydog "emerald green" - 5,3" total
    4) Another unknown vendor from Castlefest: rosewood with moon stone danglies (my fav. stone!) - 7" total
    5) LongLocks - my first sticks ever - 5,7" total
    6) Graydog - "fiesta" - 5,7" total
    7) Unknown vendor i Odense - originally a part of a slide, but it makes a great single stick! - 6,5" total
    8 ) One of my home made sticks - I started again yesterday! :P this pic doesn't do it justice at ALL! - 6,5" total
    Last edited by Guenever; June 2nd, 2008 at 04:57 AM.
    - "If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable"

Length
    ??/Clsc/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

So, I went a little over the 10 limit, but not only do I have looks vs function sticks but I also have curly vs straight ones too, so I'm allowed alright?

(and I can't count)

l-r
    Speharb fork with blue swirly bead 10.5 cm prongs (not measuring curve) - great for curly, messy buns
    Nightblooming labradorite stick (pair) 13.5 cm usable - it's so darn pretty! (and doesn;t get worn anything like enough)
    Quattro bronze serpentine (pair) 13cm usable - holds like iron and looks good too
    Momma smurf green amber twist (pair) 13 cm usable - also so darn pretty! Love green amber and love twists and like the way the whole length is usable
    Quattro silver bronze twists 15cm total - great hold, and the twisty obsession

l-r
    60th Street bloodwood fork 11.5cm usuable - great hold, amazing wood
    Ketylo royal thingymabob blue 6" (pair) - stands for all my ketylos, great hold, twisty and great colours and it's blue
    Amadlife blue 12.5/13cm usable - it's chunky and blue and stripey, what's not to like?
    Greydog indigo 14cm usable - blue and elegant
    Amadlife aqua(?) 12.5cm usable - short, kinda stumpy and love the colour
    Arts in Crafts cocobolo (one half red, the other the paler colour you can see clearly) 13.5cm usable - love the colours and the shape, really well finished (like glass)
    Amadlife ebony and crystal 12cm usable - (see below)
    WoodbyC ebony, malachite and maple burl 12.5cm usable - my two special occaision sticks
    Whatever happened to my fighting, biting, lightning lioness ...
    I think I preferred it when your hair was in a mess ...
    They're not your real curls (XTC - 'Don't Lose Your Temper')

Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

It was extremely difficult to choose just 10. What took longest was deciding the best way to choose my 10.

The 10 toys I would want if civilization suddenly ended and I was left in the wilderness to fend for myself Survivor style --easy, 10 papadonh dymondwood or aquapearl pairs of sticks. Those will hold through anything, including a full day of moving heavy furniture and boxes into a 2nd story apartment. They're my go-to no-time-to-mess-with-the-hair toy. Nah not those.

The 10 toys that would be impossible to replace --not quite as easy, but probably a mixture of mamacat spirals, discontinued ficcares, my graydog non-BIN fork, and a quattro faux snakeskin huge slide. Nah not those.

The 10 toys I love the very most, assuming all my toys were irreplaceable. Probably 6 pairs of papadonhs, 1 ficcare maximas, 1 ficcare super clip, a dymondwood fork, and a mamacat spiral pair. Nah not those.

You get the idea. It was tough.

Finally I decided I should choose the 10 I would bring along to an LHC meet to share with other long hair aficionados. Otherwise, what I find the most impressive, most unique, and a good variety of types. Here are those 10...

(PSYCH! LHC is crazy this morning with server busy messages so I wrote this on notepad and copy pasted it in. I'll put them up as soon as I can sneak by the LHC Monster. Promise.)

ETA:

These are my creme de la creme toys ....I ended up choosing 11 (since shrimp already broke the rule ) There were about 15 in the running and on another day I probably wouldn't have chosen this exact set of 10..er 11. Anyway..

Natural wood unstained Heike Koehler (sp?) swirl slide, probably <3" or less hole-to-hole but very deep --log roll when my hairstyle powers are at their absolute strongest. Otherwise, decoration for a log roll.

Green leaf slide 4.25" hole-to-hole from Crafty Celts sister site Mythical Masks --log roll perfectly.

Blue speckeled Ficcare dolphin large --bee butt bun, folded braid, maybe a log roll.

Red primavera Ficcare maximas large --cinnamon bun, fig 8, probably more.

Horn whiteish carved slide from Turkey (Don't remember the site name but he's the guy who makes leather slides with carving in them and some have marbles imbedded too. Help?) hole-to-hole <2" --half up, decoration on a log roll or braided log roll, decoration on a ponytail.

Bamboo Ficcare millenium large --fig 8, celtic knot, probably more.

Abalone aquapearl papadonh sticks 5.5" --cinnamon bun, celtic knot, fig 8, almost anything.

Cat head bead on white polypearl shimmery fat stick 6.5" from SonShapes on eBay who no longer makes hair toys (this started life as a crochet hook but I asked for it to be a stick instead..was given grief for it too but the stick is totally worth it) --awesome in cinnamon buns, maybe other round buns too. Needs some help from Good Days pins.

Topo style Joseph Coat dymondwood 3 prong Graydog fork 5.5" --snug in a fig 8, cinnamon bun, other round loose buns.

Vermont marblewood dymondwood ribbon spiral Mamacats 7" --fig 8, infinity, cinnamon bun, anything really.

Ketylo orange & black wavy fork 6". --cinnamon bun or celtic knot.

orange ketylo, large dolphin but not the one I pictured sorry, mamacat vermont marblewood sticks

graydog topo fork, white cat stick, bamboo millenium ficcare

Heike Koehler slide, red primavera maximas ficcare
    No hair photos of the horn carved slide, abalone papadonhs, or green leaf slide and none forthcoming today since I'm currently wearing my turbie with wet hair.

For newbie LHC'ers I would bring something different.. a more general set of toys that I appreciated/drooled over when I was newer. Blue jean maximas, superstar ficcare, some kind of wood fork (tulipwood or snakewood probably), dymondwood ketylo sticks, dymondwood papadonh, mei fa pair, maiden's treasures pair, metal slide, a buff, etc.

I hope this doesn't sound stuck up. I don't mean it that way... it's just that after a while the things that interest you change from the basics to the unique. I still love/wear the other toys, infact I rarely wear the ones I photo'ed compared to my basics, but they're not as *special* to me. Hard to explain.

It's like that dress you see in a store or a magazine and love, but don't buy because the chance of you wearing it enough times to get your money's worth is about zero. You'd look really stupid wearing that beautiful gown on a regular day. The difference with hair toys is you can wear the classiest toy to the grocery store and chances are nobody will notice. That makes collecting them feel less dumb. If I bought 20 dresses I loved I would never have anywhere to wear them, and when I finally do they will have either lost their appeal to me or won't be the right size anymore.
    Last edited by Cinnamon Hair; May 26th, 2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Added photos after escaping the server monster's wrath.

Length
    -/19/30
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Well the server monster ate my reply...twice so I give up. But my favorites are Quecraft, Bine forks, Ficcares, and Ketylo sticks. And I have pics of my hair toys in my album.

~Hopeless Ficcare and hair dye addict~

Length
    pixie/22.5/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii

1. Favourite of all time (for looks, hold, wearability, value): Etta Mae tulipwood fork. I've only had it for a week or so but I love it. Swapped from wendyg.

2. Favourite for looks, worn often: Green dymondwood fork. Swapped from Hypnotica, think it may be 60th St.

3, 4 and 5. Favourites for usefulness:
    - Quattro starlites in the pic above.

- In the pic below, second pair on the right, steel sticks which I use in wet hair. No idea where they came from, received in another LHC swap.

- Plastic black stick with skull bead which was part of a stick barrette I received from Secret Hair Twin; the slide was damaged but the stick is brilliant. Last stick on the right.

6. Favourite for looks, but rarely worn yet: Wizard's wand solo stick, in the middle of the 'sticks' photo below. Another swap from Hypnotica.

7. Favourite for fun: "I haz a corms" corn-ear stick by Keoma, in the middle of pic.

8, 9 and 10: Favourites to use everyday: Masterpiece Brown, Emerald and Golden Pearl Ficcare Maximas, on the right of the picture.

It was actually hard to pick 10. I would maybe have only gone for 6 and not counted two of the Ficcares, the plastic skull stick and the wizards' wand.
    1" (03/13), 18" (05/14); 6yrs off LHC, pixied 10/17, now 22
    Maybe goals: BSL 28, WL 36, TB 42, CL 50, Knee 62