Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: L'oréal: Elseve / Elvital / Elvive Products

Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: L'oréal: Elseve / Elvital / Elvive Products

Seconding comments about alcohols - the dose makes the poison! Especially when there are so many other moisturizing ingredients in a product - a dash of iso alcohol won't cancel out those benefits.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    What works for my hair

Length
    Waist/TB/FT
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Joules is right about the order of the ingredients list. If a drying alcohol is in the product, and it is low on the list, then more than likely it is some kind of preservative function, nothing to do with the product itself.

Don't worry so much; when I first got here I would freak out about ingredients too, and nitpick it to bits. Don't go that route, please! You'll make yourself crazy. You also have to see what it's like on the hair itself. If it does it good, if it feels great, then *do* not worry! And keep using it!

Just make sure you clarify your hair once in a while, but that is something you need to do in any case!
    It's easy to get overwhelmed in here! There are a lot of opinions, and I *love* rules... so I will always wan't someone to tell me exactly how to do everything. The "do what works for you" mentality is really challenging for me, but at the same time, very necessary. People do things all sorts of ways in here, and I will have to accept that there are many ways to care for hair...
    And after all - it's just hair, I will find something that works for me. Thanks!

I have an old Elvive full resist hair mask that I have used some times. I don't like how it feels as a conditioner. Anyone tried it as a leave in? The bottle says it can be used that way too. It's one of those products that are just left standing in my shower. I would love to use it up.

Length
    Waist/TB/FT
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ExpectoPatronum View Post
    Seconding comments about alcohols - the dose makes the poison! Especially when there are so many other moisturizing ingredients in a product - a dash of iso alcohol won't cancel out those benefits.

True! I used the K18 treatment four times. The alcohol content was really high, but they did that intentionally to get inside the hair shaft and deposit the good stuff. Used intentionally in that way only made the product more potent.

Length
    BSL/TBL/FTL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

My opinion is always that if it works for it, keep using it.

Just bought the Dream Length shampoo. I haven't used an Elvive shampoo in ages. Do you guys like it? I've read that someone experienced hair that gets oily faster. But it also seems good for tangle prone hair like mine.
    TBL
    101,7 cm/ 40 inches

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SeppV View Post
    It's easy to get overwhelmed in here! There are a lot of opinions, and I *love* rules... so I will always wan't someone to tell me exactly how to do everything. The "do what works for you" mentality is really challenging for me, but at the same time, very necessary. People do things all sorts of ways in here, and I will have to accept that there are many ways to care for hair...
    And after all - it's just hair, I will find something that works for me. Thanks!

I have an old Elvive full resist hair mask that I have used some times. I don't like how it feels as a conditioner. Anyone tried it as a leave in? The bottle says it can be used that way too. It's one of those products that are just left standing in my shower. I would love to use it up.
    It is surprising how little you need for a leave-in, so don't go overboard if you want to apply this to your ends after the wash. Just put a small dollop (coin size) in the palm of your hand, then rub both palms together (really well) and then smooth over the hair or scrunch in, which ever you prefer. Less is more!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    short/Waist/Class
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

I had trouble accepting "Do what works for you" too especially because I came from hair YT/IG where it wasn't about growth persay but it was about "do this and not this". After awhile I started to noticed that there's people around my hair length goal who have all kinds of routines and hardly anything in common other than doing what works for their hair so I started to realize it really isn't that deep, as long as it works it's right if not find something that does

That's kind of the fun thing, everybody's hair is unique in it's own way

Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I did my second wash using Extraordinary Oil shampoo and conditioner. I didn't wash because my hair needed it - I just need to have it styled nicely for tomorrow. I wouldn't say my hair gets oilier faster but it's too early to tell since I had to wash earlier than usual this week. I am loving the amount of slip the conditioner has. I feel like I'm damaging my hair less because it's not as snarly at the ends but time will tell if that holds true. I'd like to try the No Haircut Cream, but I'm also pretty happy with my current leave-in (Camille Rose Honey Hydrate). We'll see!

True! I used the K18 treatment four times. The alcohol content was really high, but they did that intentionally to get inside the hair shaft and deposit the good stuff. Used intentionally in that way only made the product more potent.
    Sometimes a "bad" ingredient is necessary to make the good stuff, well, good!

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    What works for my hair

Length
    CBL/APL/Class
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

You have to make a difference between drying alcohols and moisturizing alcohols. Only things like alcohol denat.(ured) is bad in essence, the rest of the alcohols typically found in conditioner are *very* very good!
    isopropyl alcohol is in the middle of the ingredients list im still going to use it up if it doesnt start making my hair feel dry because i hate wasting money, but im pretty disappointed. i shouldve read the label :l

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by elaina View Post
    isopropyl alcohol is in the middle of the ingredients list im still going to use it up if it doesnt start making my hair feel dry because i hate wasting money, but im pretty disappointed. i shouldve read the label :l
    No. Just use it. It's pointless blaming something that's dry on your hair, very narrowly on a mere ingredient when there could be other things going on with the hair. I did that, and you miss so much. My hair was... not that great when I read ingredients. When I let all that go, and just used... whatever, basically, silicones, sulfates, all of it. My hair thrived.

Just... don't get stuck, and I feel you are already, on that list.

Your hair might be dry just because you haven't clarified in a while, it could be *tons* of reasons.

It's hard to take it at face value, but don't throw that product out. Trust me.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/TBL/TERM
    Type
    2b/M/ii

No. Just use it. It's pointless blaming something that's dry on your hair, very narrowly on a mere ingredient when there could be other things going on with the hair. I did that, and you miss so much. My hair was... not that great when I read ingredients. When I let all that go, and just used... whatever, basically, silicones, sulfates, all of it. My hair thrived..
    Same. My hair looked fried and damaged, despite (literally) almost a decade of great care. But hey, I didn't use any "forbidden" stuff, so it must have been just bad genetics, right? (sarcasm)
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ TERM
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018