Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Braids versus Buns - For daily wear

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

Question Braids versus Buns - For daily wear

Okay pardon me, but Google and the search bar is not working for me today. I would like to wear my hair in a single English braid everyday. This is appealing to me because some people say that they have grown down to calf length just by simply wearing hair in one single braid everyday. I don't know if that is a myth, but it's hard not to believe when I saw a pretty old woman at Walmart wearing a single braid as long as classic length. Is it a good idea to do so?

I am a daily bun wearer and I'd like to look for a more simple routine (if simplicity exists). I don't like changing my hair style everyday, even though it is recommended, and so far I haven't had any problems with my everyday nautilus bun. I just want a simple routine I can do to protect my ends to give my expensive hair toys a break, and also because i'm at a length where I can't do pin-less buns at the moment. I know it's different for every hair type, and the point of this thread is to observe what the "general" consensus of opinions are when it comes to "braids vs. buns."

What worries me about single braids:

1) I can really feel some of the shorter ends sticking out hitting my back and so friction is an issue. But will that friction damage those exposed hairs hitting my shirt all day?

2) If you don't tie the braid right it can encourage fairy tale ends. I've heard you need a pantyhose material to tie the ends with or something silky or silicone? Or tie it at different lengths everyday?

Similarly for buns:

1) wearing it at the same spot will cause breakage, and you need to shift it during the day to balance stress points. (This is a lot of work for me on a busy day).

2) you have to be careful with the placing of sticks, forks, in order to as much avoid hair snapping if you are the type that likes to weave in these tools.

What are your thoughts? Which causes more damage a bun or a braid? Do you like to braid your hair everyday or bun your hair?
    Last edited by rowie; April 12th, 2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: added more

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Braids versus Buns - For daily wear

Right now I'm trying to mix it up. I'm currently wearing a folded braid, sometimes I wear an English braid down my back, or a bun. As I learn more styles I can mix it up even more. Some days I find my hair just will not do whatever it is I want it to do and I have to resort to something else.

Shoulder--APL--BSL--Waist--Tailbone+
    Disc bun tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelee View Post
    Right now I'm trying to mix it up. I'm currently wearing a folded braid, sometimes I wear an English braid down my back, or a bun. As I learn more styles I can mix it up even more. Some days I find my hair just will not do whatever it is I want it to do and I have to resort to something else.
    On those days where you wear your hair in a single English braid, have you had any issues with friction or breakage to your ends?

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

I'm starting to think that maybe at different lengths it might be different. Like I've heard some people say that what worked was the single braid down the back helped him or her get through the evil phase of BSL and MBL abyss, but bunning will come in handy at classic and beyond. Or maybe their is a technique i'm missing when it comes to braiding such as oiling the braid. hmmmmmm i've got my thinking caps on but so far I haven't found an answer I like. hehehe

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

i wear my hair in a french braid daily. i usuall put some oil in my the length. I tie the briad off with a pony tail holder i made from panty hose and then the remaining hair from the holder down I coat with oil to 'seal' my ends. I dont have any breakage.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

You can grow as long as you want with braids! However, I find that at hip+ braiding just takes longer than bunning, even if you are fast. When I joined LHC I couldn't do any buns (but I braided a lot) and updos always hurt my head and were extremely awkward and uncomfortable, but now I got used to them and I love them! I don't see any difference in protective quality between buns and braids, except you get to tuck ends with buns and your hair is less likely to be caught on chairs, etc.
    I really love braids because they show thickness and length while protecting hair.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I find at BCL it is much faster to bun than to braid and that a loose braid ends up flopping around and getting in the way more at this length, so those factors and an effort to minimize damage from hair ties leads me to mostly bun, but my scalp complains if I exclusively bun so sometimes I wear a braid to sleep or during the day.

I'd say you can certainly grow to any length with no style other than a braid, just be aware of how you tie it off as you said to minimize thinning of the ends.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I think for very long hair (hip+) buns would be much better because your ends are protected. For finer hair especially, braids are kind of risky, because I do feel that the shorter hairs that stick out around my neck/crown get damaged from friction when in a braid.

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I think unless you do something crazy with the braid tassel,it's quite possible.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

This:

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    You can grow as long as you want with braids!
    Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    I'd say you can certainly grow to any length with no style other than a braid, just be aware of how you tie it off as you said to minimize thinning of the ends.
    is certainly not true for me. Past TBL, I cannot gain any more length without daily bunning. Once I start to sit on my hair, the extra wear and tear means the bottom wears off as fast as the top grows in.

Whether this is true for you ... you'll just have to find out. However, certainly for some people and particularly and more extreme lengths, buns and plaits are not equally protective.

(Btw, I wear a low English plait cinnabunned every day and have for about 1.5 years. Same style, same spot on the head, no problem. I've grown to knee and am still going, despite having fine hair. I think the whole thing about changing styles and moving the style around your head is ... over-rated. Yes, I have nape breakage, but that's from having to wear a cycle helmet, not from wearing the same bun every day.)