Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Applied Blurple on my Henndigo (Pics!)

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Post I Applied Blurple on my Henndigo (Pics!)

Goal
    I wanted black hair that would shine unnatural colors, green, blue, purple, ect however I didn't want to use chemical dyes. I had 2 step henndigo'd black hair already so all I needed was the deposit dye for the fun colors. Cool, that's easy enough. I had no idea if the color would even show up on my hair but at least it wouldn't be damaging. I decided on trying Joico Color Intensity Indigo aka BLURPLE for my first attempt since I have prior experience with this brand and it seemed logical. Orange henna base + blurple should be close enough to stain something noticeable, I hope. I was worried green or straight blue would simply make brown or black and I already have that color.

Process
    I applied the dye to washed, dried and clarified hair. I left the dye under a shower cap for approximately 25 minutes. Wow this stuff sure is smooth. Seriously, I felt like I was applying purple conditioner to my hair. Awesome. At this point I'm wishing I had bought two bottles of dye because one barely covered my hair. It felt mostly saturated but I know I didn't have 100% saturation everywhere. I'm also terrible about sectioning my hair into small slices. I don't know why I insist on doing these things to myself. Moving on,​ I then washed it out mainly with warm water and some conditioner at the end. It stained everything it touched and oddly enough the stains would leave pink, purple and blue behind. It's possible I should have squeezed it all out at once in the bowl and mixed it but the dye itself seemed all the same color.

Results
    My hair is flashing an insane multitude of colors. Light cherry cola seems to be the most common and the main one showing up on photos along with the occasional blue black. I've also seen rusty pink, gray-blue, purple, blueish brown() and regular warm brown which is likely just the henna base. Sometimes I don't get anything but straight black! The photos are woefully not able to show the full spectrum of colors but I have uploaded them anyways. I swear I'll get real pictures of my hair outside some day but for now, for your viewing pleasure, here are some photos of me in my pajamas with bedhead post cinnabun

Final Thoughts
    I don't know how to feel about this. My boyfriend said he likes it but he thinks I look good in everything. I am predicting that a lot of the random elusive colors are going to disappear the first time I shampoo. I was expecting one or two solid colors at most but I certainly got what I asked for, "Black hair that flashes different colors". The pinkish cherry cola is what I find most surprising, I really thought it would darken to more of a subdued purpley brown. I like uncertainty though and I've never dyed over henndigo, only virgin or bleached hair.
    I want to try this again in other colors I still have so many questions. Will repeat applications build up the color? What will happen when I henndigo again? Will this all wash out in 2 shampoos and be utterly nullified? I need to let what I currently have fade first but this sure was interesting.
    Lady Kaname of the Chaos Realm in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Default Re: I Applied Blurple on my Henndigo (Pics!)

Cool!! I want to know how this goes... I use henna because of grey streaks, but I miss having dark hair (the streaks are now orange and in the sun people have mistaken me for a redhead). I've been afraid that if I henndigo, the roots will be too obvious. But if this stuff fades and leaves henna orange behind, maybe it is a solution?

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Wow! Certainly interesting results and I’m very curious how it goes over time! As someone who dabbles in the ballpark (Pravana black and lime crime blue conditioners), I’d love to see how it goes for you and if you have success preserving your temporary colors.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Well I think it's nice & subtle; I like it!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Thanks everyone! I don't henndigo very often, maybe every couple of months since my roots are relatively dark so I should have plenty of time to watch what happens or try other ideas.

shterntikhl Henna is amazing and frustrating lol! It's so hard to get a specific color and keep it. My biggest worry with my method is that it'll accentuate the warm henna color even more or just turn...odd. Indigo can certainly get a darker tone but I've never tried it for anything other than straight black. I know I've seen henndigo threads for darkening but I don't blame you for being hesitant. That stuff is very permanent

C_Bookworm I considered the doing black dye then blue something on top but I've had black dyes go...strange on my hair unless they were the chemical ones. Granted black-green is something I might enjoy now versus when I was 16 How is the blue conditioner working out? Do you use it every wash?

lapushka Much appreciated!

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Inber View Post
    C_Bookworm I considered the doing black dye then blue something on top but I've had black dyes go...strange on my hair unless they were the chemical ones. Granted black-green is something I might enjoy now versus when I was 16 How is the blue conditioner working out? Do you use it every wash?
    Oh man, yes! I haven’t tried a bunch but my experience with Manic Panic black was that it went greenish real quick.

I am continuing to use the blue because I own it, but I don’t think it does much. Judging from my hands, the Pravana black sticks a lot better than the Lime Crime blue does. I am not sure it is worth the extra effort. I have been using them in the shower, sitting on my head 10-15 minutes while I do other stuff. I think for me it might make more sense to henndigo more often (or maybe do like a quickie 1-step henndigo in between my usual 2-step?). But it feels like I’m not getting a lot of return on the conditioner.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I think the color variation is very pretty! The different hues melt together in a lovely way, I agree with lapushka that the color looks very nuanced but still quite subtle
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

It looks nice, the purply color is pretty. Have you seen oil slick hair? Its basically doing rainbow on dark hair so it looks like a oil slick on water, its awesome.
    Overtone makes colors for dark hair, they might work really well on black

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bookworm View Post
    Oh man, yes! I haven’t tried a bunch but my experience with Manic Panic black was that it went greenish real quick.

I am continuing to use the blue because I own it, but I don’t think it does much. Judging from my hands, the Pravana black sticks a lot better than the Lime Crime blue does. I am not sure it is worth the extra effort. I have been using them in the shower, sitting on my head 10-15 minutes while I do other stuff. I think for me it might make more sense to henndigo more often (or maybe do like a quickie 1-step henndigo in between my usual 2-step?). But it feels like I’m not getting a lot of return on the conditioner.
    Yep, it was Manic Panic Raven that went green on me as well. And sorry to hear about the conditioner not working out. If I had to guess, the conditioner probably doesn't have enough pigment to truly alter color except in cases of very light hair. Although it could be Lime Crime in specific that isn't giving you good results. It was certainly worth a try though

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTangles View Post
    I think the color variation is very pretty! The different hues melt together in a lovely way, I agree with lapushka that the color looks very nuanced but still quite subtle
    Thank you SleepyTangles, you rock purple! Which brand have you been liking most lately? If anyone knows which purple product is most vivid I imagine it would be you

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    It looks nice, the purply color is pretty. Have you seen oil slick hair? Its basically doing rainbow on dark hair so it looks like a oil slick on water, its awesome.
    Overtone makes colors for dark hair, they might work really well on black
    I have not heard of oil slick hair before, I just looked it up and I love that coloring over dark hair is catching on. It looks like minimal bleaching might be used in some cases but it sure beats 2 high level, full length bleaching sessions. I think it's fair to say I'm pushing towards a flashing oil slick
    Overtone is currently out of my budget especially since I've heard mixed things but it could be worth a try once I have a rainy day fund

Update #1

I did a CWC last night and now I'm wondering if the color has gotten brighter?? My hair is still black overall but I think some of the darkness from the dye dropped out and the overall effect "lightened" because it's flashing much brighter today than it did yesterday. Even right out of the shower I thought I was catching more glimpses of color in the mirror. It's truly bizarre to me how unpredictable the color flashes are. Sometimes it's full on color like the photos below and other times it's just neutral black and refuses to do anything. I must admit that it's quite exciting, I kind of enjoy the lack of control lol!

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

WOW!!! What a difference a CWC makes