Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know how to get a cooler tone of red?

Default Re: Anyone know how to get a cooler tone of red?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina Fair View Post
    My current recipe:

4 parts henna (I use Raj)
    1 part chamomile;
    4 parts manjistha, simmered with tap water for 45 minutes to an hour, left to cool, and carefully sieved through cheesecloth to get out all the grit. Adjust the sieved liquid to mix up the henna, plus a little baking soda as necessary until the ph is alkaline;
    A good bloop of honey. My hair really likes honey, but leave this out if yours doesn't.
    This is the colour I get with this recipe, over ash brown with many grey streaks (the lighter colours are the grey streaks): https://i.imgur.com/D0aUhwM.jpg

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

You have beautiful hair Sabrina Fair. That’s a great shade of red too. I

Length
    HL/TBL+/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Sabrina Fair your colour is beautiful and your mix is intriguing to me!

I've managed to bring a more cherry tone to my henna by mixing it with strong hibiscus tea as my liquid. Like many others I've found hibiscus on its own doesn't have much staying power but combined with henna seems to uptake and hold quite well on me.

For reference: my avatar pic on the left is the truer representation of my actual colour - my signature pic below is a still from a dance video I made and processed in editing so that colour reads more heightened and saturated. The siggy pic however does give some sense of the colour temperature the hibiscus imparts, albeit exaggerated
    ▪daily washing▪monthly trimming▪top-down detangling▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the roots▪henna and hibiscus▪worn down and loose on the regular▪

Thank you both, School of Fish and Jane 99!

School of Fish, I have thought about using hibiscus in the mix, but I was worried about pushing the colour too far towards cherry cola - it's almost too blue for my colouring, I think? It has worked very well for you though, your hair looks beautiful. I may give hibiscus a try as a mixing liquid rather than just using it as a rinse afterwards!

I've tried using hibiscus powder in my henna mix, but I didn't notice a difference. Maybe I did it wrong or didn't use enough?