Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoyed with curly hair

Length
    APL/BSL/WL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

Default Annoyed with curly hair

I have 3b/3c curly hair and it's honestly so annoying. I know that I can stretch out my natural texture with buns and braids so I tried that but it wasn't sleek and shiny and nice (I mean, obviously). I just prefer straight or wavy hair by far, which is why I always brush out my curls.

I can't love my natural texture right now and haven't loved it for at least a decade so yeah. There are options. Braid waves, argan oil, straightening hair. And more. Braid waves make my hair far too wavy. I like to dry my hair in a tight ponytail, because it straightens the roots. If I had shoulder length hair, then I could get almost all of it straightened. I have BSL hair. And I can't figure out how to straighten the ponytail, so I braid the ponytail to end up with less poofy waves, and straightened roots.

I've heard of using a wig cap to pin hair to the head when it dries, so that it dries straight. I bet it does work. Honestly, I am considering shoulder length hair. I wouldn't actually do it for a long time. BSL has always been my dream length and I'm finally there but sometimes I also get a mushroom head. It's not so bad now my hair is long, but it can get poofy. I've been wondering if I should get my hair thinned or layered or something. I'm still planning on growing it longer, maybe to butt length... but my hair is a beast to deal with. Put it in a ponytail and it goes curly and poofy. I still have yet to find a hairstyle that actually feels like me, because I feel really limited with my difficult hair. I just don't really like my hair right now with its thickness and U-cut.

TL;DR: I have my dream length hair but am not satisfied with the texture or look of the actual hair.

Thoughts and advice please?
    Last edited by Stardreamer; April 20th, 2021 at 09:01 PM.

APL, BSL
    Last trimmed on 14/12/2020

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Annoyed with curly hair

Option A: Accept your hair for how it is and grow it do you dream length or
    Option B: Chemically or manually straighten your hair and accept you might not be able to retain to get to your dream length.
    three months heat free
    NL |SL | APL | BSL | WSL | HL
    flaws are the most advanced form of art.

Length
    12/16.5/50

Until 2016 my hair used to be 1b now it's more like 2b and I hate it too, it's pricey but I had mine keratin straightened, that could be an option for you, it compacts it too so gives the illusion of thinner hair.

Length
    buzz/tbl/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Stardreamer of the cosmic spirals, spirit superconductor, untameable wild loveliness, macro-helix sister, wishing you all the best in your journey.

Length
    2"/WL/hip
    Type
    4c/F/iii

I don't know, the only thing you can do is change the way you think. Curly hair and all other textures are beautiful creations of God.
    Plus, isn't it nice that you can have long hair? Some people have alopecia or cancer and their hair is gone...
    You're healthy enough to grow your hair out and that's wonderful.
    Started: 13/11/2014.Elapsed
    Clrbn :: APL :: BSL+ ::MBL:: WAIST :: hip :: TBL
    Lady Sarah of the Invisible Warlands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    SL/CBL/MBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I think layering is not the best option because it usually boosts wave/curl pattern
    I will not preach here that you should change your thinking and embrace your curls. The problem is that you are not happy with something that is not easy to change
    I have an article about natural methods of straightening and smoothing waves and curls but I'd need to translate it first I have lots on my head at the moment but I will certainly put some time on this later. Will be back
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

I can relate, totally. Mine is thin and curly, so not exactly the same, but still, I understand.

BSL might be an awkward length for you, your texture may be more pleasing to you at longer lengths. In the meantime, you can use any techniques you want to tame it, heat included. We all know heat is bad, but you have to be happy in the now too. If you're not a heat person, I'd suggest benign neglect, put it up and forget about it for a while.

ETA:
    thinning is not a good option, it increases poofiness as it grows.

Length
    1"/35"/42"
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

I'm sorry that you are struggling with your hair texture and that you haven't found a hairstyle that feels like you. I can relate because I struggled with my difficult hair for years. I finally embraced it and now I love it as it is. Because I didn't know how to take care of it and because I was always fighting it I couldn't see it's potential.

I'm wondering what hairstyles you have tried in the past. Maybe if you could just find a couple of styles that make you feel like yourself and maybe if you could also find some hair accessories that you love you would start to feel like yourself and enjoy your beautiful hair.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

This is what I would do in my late teens, early 20s. I would rough dry it with a blow dryer, about 70%, then paddle brush through it while drying some more. That would do it; granted I don't have that much texture. But if you then run a flat iron through it (not on the highest setting), it should be OK.

But that means damage. And possibly not getting the length you want.

I feel like maybe it's best to just go with it, the way it is. Length in and of itself will probably stretch out the curl quite a bit, especially if it's thick and has some weight to it (use a lot of moisturizing conditioners on the length to weigh it down too).

I mean... It's tough.

Or, you could keep it in updos about 80% of the time. So you don't have to deal with it, while it grows, but at least it'll be healthy.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/CL/?
    Type
    1a/F/ii

What about kardoune?

Oh what I would do to have some texture naturally in my hair, we always want the opposite, don't we?