Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Annoyed with curly hair

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Annoyed with curly hair

Roll it on really big rollers and dry under a bonnet dryer?

Length
    chin/hip/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I remember seeing a video of a woman who was wrapping her hair when wet, around her head and pinning it down to straighten it - she then, if I recall correctly, put it back up that way at night to maintain straightness. Have you gone through the mountain of YouTube videos on heatless straightening? I’m sure it’s there somewhere!

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

The most effective way I have of drying my hair straight is to put it up in a bun in which the hair is only wrapped, not twisted. A nautilus bun does pretty well for this. there is still a slight wave at the nape and at the very tips of the hair, but it works out to a basically straight, if slightly poofy texture. This is what I do beforehand if I'm planning to do some kind of fancy braiding that can't be put in wet.

When I do this, I put it up while still in the shower, immediately after brushing it. (My hair starts "locking" as soon as it isn't absolutely soaked.) The downside is that it takes a day or more to dry that way.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I should add: I also find the texture of my hair a little exasperating--in my case, because it's a kind of wishy-washy not-quite-curly not-quite-straight kind of affair. I wish I uncomplicatedly loved my hair (and everything else about my body), but I don't. Learning different ways to deal with it does help. I can do the dry stretch thing if I want it as straight as I can get it, but I can also put in finger curls on the rare occasions when I want it max curly. Having and knowing the options is nice.

Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Have you tried rope braid waves? Plus they go straighter more easily than the 3 strand crinkle waves if you don't like them. I hope you find something that works for your hair and makes you happy!

Length
    SL/CBL/MBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Natural methods of straightening wavy and curly hair.
    1. Oils.
    Some oils can make hair straighter. Olive oil, shea butter can work here. Straightening effect will have oils and butters with bigger molecules- saturated oils like shea, cocoa, mango butter, argan and rice seed oil.
    Also lanolin can have the straightening effect.

2. Some proteins.
    Bigger molecules too- here counts homemade protein treatments with yoghurt, egg, gelatin, beer.

3. Starch.
    Adding starch to the deep treatment will make hair smooth. You can use potato, corn, rice starch.

4. Herbs.
    Sage rinse has straightening effect - works best for dark hair since it can add colour too.
    For lighter shades - linden rinse.
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.