Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Professional Hair Care Users Thread

Length
    CBL/HL/HL
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Red face Professional Hair Care Users Thread

I've been wanting a thread like this for a while, especially because professional haircare products is what I'm into and prefer for my hair. Thought I'd make this for those that do use salon brands as well that want to share what worked for them and didn't, so we can help each other out when choosing new products and make the most out of our money! Also a good place to keep it all together for referencing in the future.

I'd also encourage you to post what you're using right now, what you think of it and if you want to keep repurchasing it or are looking for something else to replace it with for better results.

Personally, I have seen the most difference with my hair ever since I started using them. Obviously they're not miraculous and I still do the capillary schedule method and use everything on a need-basis routine so my hair doesn't get saturated with one ingredient, and I rotate quite a few. It's what works best for me.

My favorite brand is Kérastase, and I think it's superior to L'oréal Professional line because I do visibly notice that the technology is much better and it's also more concentrated. With that said, if your hair doesn't need it, then you probably won't see the results you want.

Let's discuss!

(If you don't think expensive haircare products are worth the money, I kindly ask you to just please move on to another thread. There are many others you can comment on that are for you.)
    Last edited by pisinoe; April 17th, 2021 at 07:48 AM.
    Collarbone (12.08.21) | Armpit (16.10.21) | Midback (14.10.22) | Waist (06.02.23) | Hip (23.03.24) | Belly Button

Length
    CBL/HL/HL
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Professional Hair Care Users Thread

I'll start!

I've been stuck in South America for the past few months with some of my products, but not all of them. I bought a lot of local brands and at first it was okay but then my hair went back to what it was before... So I went back to my professional products, and my hair improved a lot again, but I have used some up that I did not plan to repurchase.

Shampoo

- Bed Head Resurrection: I recently usd up the last few ml I had brought with me. I like it a lot, it's creamy but not drying at all, yet it did not make my hair greasy. I would repurchase again since it's cheap and good but I do prefer Kérastase and I think I'd rather use scalp exfoliating shampoos from now on.

- Kérastase Thérapiste: I like this a lot. It's very thick, creamy and extremely concentrated. The only shampoo I can use and not use conditioner or mask afterwards and I get no tangles or hay texture. I would repurchase, if the new one by K. I got isn't as softening as promised on my hair to rotate. I really love using it with the mask from the same line.

I have 1L of Wella Fusion at home as well, maybe half a bottle left, but I haven't used it lately. Similar to the Bed Head one to be honest, but just more softening and richer. I like it enough, but not sure I'd repurchase yet. I ordered 1L of Kérastase Bain Riche Dermo Calm for my sensitive, ichy scalp and dry hair and have high hopes. I'll decide from there.

Conditioner

- Bed Head Resurrection: This has been my favorite one for years, it's super hydrating and if you leave it on for 5 minutes it acts as a deep conditioning (not treatment) mask. Good for dryness and frizz, it's amazing at detangling and softening the hair. I don't have any right now, but I would repurchase again because it's so cheap in case the others I have in mind aren't as good.

I have 1L of the Sebastian Penetraitt conditioner at home, butI didn't use it often enough. It seemed similar to the Resurrection one to me to be honest, and not sure it's worth more money. I'll have to assess that later, but I've been curious about Kérastase conditioners (Genesis, Discipline, Magistral) and Davines (Love smoothing and Love curl) lately but haven't decided yet.

Masks

Hydration

- Redken All Soft Heavy Cream: I'm surprised by how good this is since I don't really see results with hydrating masks most of the time because they give that 'feather light' look, and I like my mane to be controlled and frizz free. I do have to leave this on for 15 min at least to see the resuls I want because my hair is thick and dry, but it has given me the best result yet. It's especially good the day after, then my hair looks silky soft and shiny as hell, and not weighed down at all.

I did not like L'oréal Curl Contour or Inforcer for this, or Joico Blonde Life and Intense Hydrator enough to repurchase. Wella Fusion works a lot better, but still not my favorite. I want to try Sebastian Penetraitt, Kérastase Chroma Riche and Genesis next for this step. I got a travel size of Wella Brilliance as well so I'll report about that later.

Nourishing

- Sebastian Dark Oil: I've recently used this up and while it's good and better than most, it didn't leve me impressed enough to repurchase. It's nourishing, but it's light and doesn't give me that sealed silky result I'm looking for. Not exactly the product's fault since it does boast it's lightweight technology, so it's better for fine hair which is not my case I guess.

I did not like L'oréal Nutrifier or Liss Unlimited for this step, and wasn't too impressed with Wella Luxe Oil either to be honest but it was the best one out of the 3 on my hair. I've recently acquired Keune Satin Oil and Vital Nutrition in big sizes to test, and a travel size of Wella Nutri Enrich. I'm still curious about Kérastase Magistral and Masquintense Thick, as well as maybe the Oleo-Relax one and Moroccanoil Smooth. Joico Moisture Recovery and Luster Lock were too heavy and too strong for my hair, they left my hair weighed down and kinda greasy but also dry thus rebound effect.

Repair

Ah, my favorite step because my holy grail mask is also here hehehe

- Kérastase Thérapiste: Ah, the love of my life. I compare everything to this simply because it raised the standard for me so much. It gives me perfect hair: silky, soft, frizz-free, shiny, moisturised and just luscious. It's extremely repairing but doesn't give that stiff/dry result from other protein masks and every time I use it, it leaves me blown away. It changed my hair to something else entirely. I wish I could use this every wash but it's strongggg. Will repurchase forever because nothing compares. If I could only have one mask, it would be this.

- Senscience Inner Restore Intensif: Damn, this is buttery AND concentrated. I need the least amount of product because it's so strong and a little goes a long way. I like to rotate this because it is heavy and it's hard to dose, but it really revitalises my hair. It doesn't leave my hair as silky as Therapiste, but it does make my hair look like it's reversed to it's natural state without damage. Heavy tho.

- L'oréal Gold Quinoa: It's fine really. The best one from the whole range I've tried, but not as good as Therapiste and therefore I won't repurchase. I will use it up though, but I wish it was as softening and sealing as Therapiste.... Argh, that one just raised the bar too high.

To be honest here I'm not sure I want to try anything else because I just love Therapiste so much lol but I might try Force Architec or Extensioniste, or one of the Bonacure ones just to rotate.

Leave-in

- L'oréal Liss Unlimited: This worked pretty well for frizz, and was a godsend for when my hair was dry and I was starting out in my salon haircare journey. Now that my hair has improved a lot more due to better masks, it is too heavy and I feel like it left my hair a bit stiff and not as bouncy as I now want it to be. I've used it up and won't repurchase. This is better for frizz control than Olaplex nr.6 imo.

- Kérastase Nectar Thermique: It leaves my hair looking like silk and extremely shiny and straight when I use this to blow-dry or straighten my hair. I probably will repurchase because I like it so much, although I'm curious about the one from the Discipline and Magistral range. It does not work well if you air dry because it's heat activated.

I have the new L'oréal Pro Longer leave-in waiting at home to try because it was compared pretty well to NT and some said it was better, and also worked without heat and we'll see. I'm still curious about Sebastian Potion 9, L'Anza Trauma and Healing Smooth.

Oils

- Sebastian Dark Oil: This is real good, but it's thiiiick. It will seal your hair and tame the frizz like nothing else, but it's super heavy. Since I use a lot of good products now, it's not as necessary to me but still one of the best I've tried.

- L'Anza Neem Silk Serum: My friend kindly sent me a biiig decant of this. It's lighter than the other two and works well but I do prefer heavier products because they tame my hair more, but this really works well for my dryness and leaves my hair light and soft.

- Kérastase Elixir Ultime: My favorite so far, it's not as heavy but it's still enough to seal my hair, make it silky and soft, shiny and diminish frizz. It leaves my hair bouncy and completely absorbs

I want to try Davines Oi Oil next just because I heard so much about it, otherwise I'll stay with Elixir Ultime.
    Last edited by pisinoe; April 17th, 2021 at 08:47 AM. Reason: format
    Collarbone (12.08.21) | Armpit (16.10.21) | Midback (14.10.22) | Waist (06.02.23) | Hip (23.03.24) | Belly Button

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

As my last conditioner I use a Paul Mitchell one. Either, the mirrorsmooth conditioner from the Awapuhi Wild Ginger line. Or the one from the marulaoil series. I also have the mask of that series, but in combination with the conditioner it's a bit too much. When I put them on, I can feel the hair start to detangle right away.

Length
    HL/BCL/IDK
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I don't use this type of products usually, but I recently bought two Bed Head products on sale: the resurrection mask and the recovery conditioner. For now I've only used the mask. It's very thick, I need to mix it with some water to distribuite it into my hair (it took me some washes to understand this) but I like it! But I expected it was heavier. I'd like to try all the line one day!

Length
    CBL/HL/HL
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Chan View Post
    I don't use this type of products usually, but I recently bought two Bed Head products on sale: the resurrection mask and the recovery conditioner. For now I've only used the mask. It's very thick, I need to mix it with some water to distribuite it into my hair (it took me some washes to understand this) but I like it! But I expected it was heavier. I'd like to try all the line one day!
    You’d probably love the conditioner then! It’s the same product but less concentrated and spreads a lot better (also, 750ml for the same price!).

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I love Kérastase too, it is by L'Oréal, and even "just" their drugstore line, man... you (general you) really should check that out if you can, at least once. Their masks are a-mazing! I particularly like the Elsève line (called Elvive almost everywhere else). They have tons and tons of shampoos, especially like the clay one (pastel green bottle).

But anyway, onto the pro-stuff. My dad for years had the anti-dandruff line, and loved it to bits. He has SD like me, and this worked really well for him.

Also like Davines, on the whole. Only mentioning brands that I like on the whole. Can't go wrong with anything of theirs either!

That's about the extent of my more expensive taste.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

My only experience with professional haircare products (I think) has been for braiding so I guess this note would fall under the category of "Styling Aid". I've tried both Oscar Blandi Braid Paste and Redken Braid Aid 03. The Redken prodcut is more like a gel which I prefer but its "fragrance" is very intense and long-lasting, definitely unsuitable for a guy. BTW I'm not a professional
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    HL/BCL/IDK
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by pisinoe View Post
    You’d probably love the conditioner then! It’s the same product but less concentrated and spreads a lot better (also, 750ml for the same price!).
    I'd like to try both shampoo and conditioner! But I have enough things to use up atm, so I'll wait.

Length
    CBL/HL/HL
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I love Kérastase too, it is by L'Oréal, and even "just" their drugstore line, man... you (general you) really should check that out if you can, at least once. Their masks are a-mazing! I particularly like the Elsève line (called Elvive almost everywhere else). They have tons and tons of shampoos, especially like the clay one (pastel green bottle).

But anyway, onto the pro-stuff. My dad for years had the anti-dandruff line, and loved it to bits. He has SD like me, and this worked really well for him.

Also like Davines, on the whole. Only mentioning brands that I like on the whole. Can't go wrong with anything of theirs either!

That's about the extent of my more expensive taste.
    Yeah I agree, In my experience Elseve is still the best available in the drugstore but still doesn't really compare to me. I even see such a big difference between L'oréal Pro. and Kérastase that my god... :'). They sell this shampoo here in South America that is for greasy roots and dry ends that I think you'd like. My scalp was really clean with it.

Which shampoo from the dandruff line did your father use? The Specifique one?

I have never tried anything from Davines but I'm dying to. I need to get my hands on some small bottles or travel sizes bc I'm curious about so much!

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    My only experience with professional haircare products (I think) has been for braiding so I guess this note would fall under the category of "Styling Aid". I've tried both Oscar Blandi Braid Paste and Redken Braid Aid 03. The Redken prodcut is more like a gel which I prefer but its "fragrance" is very intense and long-lasting, definitely unsuitable for a guy. BTW I'm not a professional
    Oh my, I never thought of using any styling products for braiding. How do you use those if you don't mind explaining, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Chan View Post
    I'd like to try both shampoo and conditioner! But I have enough things to use up atm, so I'll wait.
    Both are amazing! The jumbo duo is sooo worth it, I think you'll like it

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pisinoe View Post
    Yeah I agree, In my experience Elseve is still the best available in the drugstore but still doesn't really compare to me. I even see such a big difference between L'oréal Pro. and Kérastase that my god... :'). They sell this shampoo here in South America that is for greasy roots and dry ends that I think you'd like. My scalp was really clean with it.

Which shampoo from the dandruff line did your father use? The Specifique one?

I have never tried anything from Davines but I'm dying to. I need to get my hands on some small bottles or travel sizes bc I'm curious about so much!

Oh my, I never thought of using any styling products for braiding. How do you use those if you don't mind explaining, please?

Both are amazing! The jumbo duo is sooo worth it, I think you'll like it
    Yep that one!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)