Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: having to submit a post Twice

Type
    2a/C/iii

Default Re: having to submit a post Twice

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    This past week, the only thing I have noticed, quite frequently when posting, is that it asks permission to "leave" the page, and then I get this you can't post twice in x-amount of time, when I only submitted my post once. It's weird. I then just go back the page I posted on and reload, and yep my post is there!
    The post went through, but the board hung before the window was refreshed. This is when you open another browser window to check.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

When that started happening (ages ago now) I selected the text from my post, copied it, then clicked 'yes' to leave. The copying text was insurance in case it hadn't gone through, but it always had. So now I don't bother and just press yes.

It would be nice if the glitches calmed down but hey, if it's the price we pay for still having the forum then I don't mind
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    When that started happening (ages ago now) I selected the text from my post, copied it, then clicked 'yes' to leave. The copying text was insurance in case it hadn't gone through, but it always had. So now I don't bother and just press yes.

It would be nice if the glitches calmed down but hey, if it's the price we pay for still having the forum then I don't mind
    I do this now, too. I lost my text twice when there was a glitch while posting.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by EdG View Post
    The post went through, but the board hung before the window was refreshed. This is when you open another browser window to check.
    Ed
    I could do that too, might be better than just going back & refreshing.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

I've had issues with double posting too.
    Kay , BSL > MBL > Waist > Hip

Length
    Bald/Pixie/Term

Glad to know it's not just me! The server is quite old, we might need a new server? Not sure how that works with vbulletin if it can be done and still keep the data would be a shame to loose post counts and topics
    Shoulder+ by my 40th (May 2025)
    Buzz>>>Pixie>>>Chin>>>Shoulder
    Growing to Bleached Terminal

Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Hairkay View Post
    I've had issues with double posting too.
    Double-posts result from the user clicking on "Submit" twice because the board froze after the first click. The post usually (but not always) went through.

To avoid losing a long post, compose it in a text editor and copy/paste it into the web browser. If the board freezes after clicking on "Submit", open another browser window to check whether the post appeared. There is a small possibility that the post only partially went through (i.e. it is visible in the index but not in the thread - the database is inconsistent). The next post will cause both to appear. These are long-standing bugs in the board's software.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by EdG View Post
    Double-posts result from the user clicking on "Submit" twice because the board froze after the first click. The post usually (but not always) went through.

To avoid losing a long post, compose it in a text editor and copy/paste it into the web browser. If the board freezes after clicking on "Submit", open another browser window to check whether the post appeared. There is a small possibility that the post only partially went through (i.e. it is visible in the index but not in the thread - the database is inconsistent). The next post will cause both to appear. These are long-standing bugs in the board's software.
    Ed
    I just usually compose it in the quick-reply, and then copy it from that, then click, especially after a couple of things like that happening. No need for a separate text editor. And then paste again, should it have not gone through.

But these things are age-old, right, from when I got here, there were some glitches once in a while; no biggie. It's a forum, things like this can happen once in a while, is my stance on it at least.

And we have fun with double posts, sometimes. LOL Even though you can always report a double, and the mods will clear that up for you, if they have time to spare!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)