Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help to name this hairstyle?

Default Help to name this hairstyle?

I've been doing variations of this hairstyle but can't find it in the LHC hairstyle thesaurus thread. Can someone name it for me? I think of it as "sewing a hole closed" but it's like lazy Amish braids with only one English braid. It looks like a low bun with braid tail sticking out.

I start with an English braid tied off with an elastic band with some thickness (maybe 5mm). I use the braid to tie a knot very high up close to my head, it looks like a ponytail tied with a scrunchie. At this point there's the circle of the knot, and the tail of the braid poking out of the middle to one side. I tighten the knot. I pull the tail of the braid back through the middle of the circle very close to the previous pass, now it's poking out the other side. I tighten the knot. I continue weaving it back into the middle from side to side until I run out of braid in a "shoelace" sort of fashion. If I did it right, the knot is now so tight that the elastic band will prevent the last bit of braid from falling out.

I find myself doing this style a lot for me and my girls because it's almost an updo but only requires an elastic band and is compatible with naps (important in my world!) as well as gymnastics. It does produce a lot of kinks and requires a reasonably tidy braid as there's a lot of pulling through the reverse direction.
    Last edited by ccsdg; April 16th, 2021 at 10:34 PM.

Length
    15/28/35
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Default Re: Help to name this hairstyle?

Sounds like a braided knot bun, with some additional knots to deal with the tail. Certainly sounds secure, especially if it works pinless as well.
    ​So...knee?

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ccsdg View Post
    I've been doing variations of this hairstyle but can't find it in the LHC hairstyle thesaurus thread. Can someone name it for me? I think of it as "sewing a hole closed" but it's like lazy Amish braids with only one English braid. It looks like a low bun with braid tail sticking out.

I start with an English braid tied off with an elastic band with some thickness (maybe 5mm). I use the braid to tie a knot very high up close to my head, it looks like a ponytail tied with a scrunchie. At this point there's the circle of the knot, and the tail of the braid poking out of the middle to one side. I tighten the knot. I pull the tail of the braid back through the middle of the circle very close to the previous pass, now it's poking out the other side. I tighten the knot. I continue weaving it back into the middle from side to side until I run out of braid in a "shoelace" sort of fashion. If I did it right, the knot is now so tight that the elastic band will prevent the last bit of braid from falling out.

I find myself doing this style a lot for me and my girls because it's almost an updo but only requires an elastic band and is compatible with naps (important in my world!) as well as gymnastics. It does produce a lot of kinks and requires a reasonably tidy braid as there's a lot of pulling through the reverse direction.
    Sounds intriguing, can you post a picture?
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I cannot understand it at all from the description, but I’m a bit thick, a visual would be helpful.
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Pic would be most helpful here

Haha, so I seriously can't upload photos for some reason but here's a video..

Length
    WL/FTL/FTL?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I don't know if this style has an official/actual name, but if I were going to name it myself, I'd call it a multiple overhand knot bun, as that appears to be the kind of knot you're making with the braid in the video. There's an example of what a multiple overhand knot looks like at the end of the page here, but with rope: https://www.indoorclimbing.com/Overhand_Knot.html
    waist / hip / tailbone / classic / fingertip / knee / calf? / ankle? / floor? / terminal??
    knee by 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by Elodea View Post
    I don't know if this style has an official/actual name, but if I were going to name it myself, I'd call it a multiple overhand knot bun, as that appears to be the kind of knot you're making with the braid in the video. There's an example of what a multiple overhand knot looks like at the end of the page here, but with rope: https://www.indoorclimbing.com/Overhand_Knot.html
    Knots! Brilliant! That's totally the world I'm looking for. I feel like this isn't the same structure though - the weaving goes from one side of the circle to the other, effectively removing the hole in the middle, rather than encircling it. In another breakthrough...finally figured out how to upload images, so here's a photo + rather novice diagram. Still don't know how to embed: https://imgur.com/a/KGvRYY6
    Last edited by ccsdg; April 17th, 2021 at 08:58 PM.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ccsdg View Post
    Knots! Brilliant! That's totally the world I'm looking for. I feel like this isn't the same structure though - the weaving goes from one side of the circle to the other, effectively removing the hole in the middle, rather than encircling it. In another breakthrough...finally figured out how to upload images, so here's a photo + rather novice diagram. Still don't know how to embed: https://imgur.com/a/KGvRYY6
    Oooh your diagram made me think of lace - tallies, I think they're called, although usually between two parallel threads instead of two sides of a single loop. I'll see if I can find an example ... Okay not quite, they're worked between 3 threads not 2. I don't think a half tally exists (because bobbin lace is worked in pairs of threads, so you wouldn't have 3 strands) but maybe you've invented it for hair https://www.theedkins.co.uk/jo/lace/...tion/tally.htm diagram on this page https://www.theedkins.co.uk/jo/lace/sttally.htm

Or is there a braid that uses that weaving between two strands kind of construction?

Back to sewing - could it be called ladder stitch, just without the side stitches? https://www.positivelysplendid.com/s...ladder-stitch/

Edit: or like figure-8 weaving perhaps. I think if a braid technique matches this though it could be a logical starting point for a name.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

It's beautiful! I think there's an embroidery knot that sort of resembles it, or just the technique of going over an existing line or circle to cover the existing thread, giving it a raised, rounded appearance. That sort of matches the technique, but not the final appearance. I'll look for knots later.