Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair Mishaps and Funny Accidents

Length
    16/38/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Hair Mishaps and Funny Accidents

Definitely more of a mishap but hopefully I'll be able to laugh about it once the pain is gone and my hair re-grows... this will be long so please bear with me while I set up the scene.

I'm really into houseplants and have about 150 currently. We are always trying to find clever ways to display them and keep them from taking over the house. My husband hung a cute, antique ladder in my kitchen by the bay window and I have about 20 plants hanging from chains with hooks. My ceilings are very tall so I have to climb on a step ladder to take them down and carry them to the sink to water and yesterday was that day. The day before I went to the eye doctor and got mono vision contacts (one eye for close, one eye for distance). They are making me dizzy so I'm wearing them around the house trying to adapt before driving or going out in them. Welllll, I was on the ladder removing the last plant and one of the hooks got caught in my hair which was pulled back in a tight spock bun. The hooks are medium sized so it had a nice chunk of hair. I had a plant in one hand and reached up to remove the hook from my hair and lost my balance. I was literally hanging by my hair for a few seconds, and I heard a horrible sound (my hair breaking) and was able to grab the ladder and get my footing. It was very painful, I honestly though I had ripped my scalp open. Several follicles bled and I lost a gob of hair, probably the equivalent of six months of shed hairs. I had to ice my scalp because it was so swollen and painful but thankfully it's feeling little better today. From now on, I will put on a buff or satin sleep cap when working around these hooks.

Lesson learned!
    CBL/APL/BSL​/MBL/Waist/Hip/TBL

Length
    26 in/32 in/32 in
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by sipnsun View Post
    Definitely more of a mishap but hopefully I'll be able to laugh about it once the pain is gone and my hair re-grows... this will be long so please bear with me while I set up the scene.

I'm really into houseplants and have about 150 currently. We are always trying to find clever ways to display them and keep them from taking over the house. My husband hung a cute, antique ladder in my kitchen by the bay window and I have about 20 plants hanging from chains with hooks. My ceilings are very tall so I have to climb on a step ladder to take them down and carry them to the sink to water and yesterday was that day. The day before I went to the eye doctor and got mono vision contacts (one eye for close, one eye for distance). They are making me dizzy so I'm wearing them around the house trying to adapt before driving or going out in them. Welllll, I was on the ladder removing the last plant and one of the hooks got caught in my hair which was pulled back in a tight spock bun. The hooks are medium sized so it had a nice chunk of hair. I had a plant in one hand and reached up to remove the hook from my hair and lost my balance. I was literally hanging by my hair for a few seconds, and I heard a horrible sound (my hair breaking) and was able to grab the ladder and get my footing. It was very painful, I honestly though I had ripped my scalp open. Several follicles bled and I lost a gob of hair, probably the equivalent of six months of shed hairs. I had to ice my scalp because it was so swollen and painful but thankfully it's feeling little better today. From now on, I will put on a buff or satin sleep cap when working around these hooks.

Lesson learned!
    Oh my! That sounds very painful. I hope you are feeling better.

Length
    16/38/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kibrah View Post
    Oh my! That sounds very painful. I hope you are feeling better.
    Thanks so much Kibrah, it's still a tender but a big improvement from yesterday. Today I'm just bummed about the wad of hair I lost.
    CBL/APL/BSL​/MBL/Waist/Hip/TBL

Length
    26 in/32 in/32 in
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by sipnsun View Post
    Thanks so much Kibrah, it's still a tender but a big improvement from yesterday. Today I'm just bummed about the wad of hair I lost.
    I totally understand that. I'm not happy about the amount I lost in mishap and it was only about as much as I'd shed on a wash day, yours sounds much worse.

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

W.ow that hurts even reading. +1 on the buff. When working around grabby things any exposed hair makes you vulnerable. I'm glad your injury was not more serious and that hindsight is now foresight
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    12/30"/38 "
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Oh my goodness sipnsun! I hope that heals quickly- it could have been a very serious injury, I'm glad it wasn't worse.

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kibrah View Post
    I need to remember next time I am hand grinding wheat berries for flour to wear a bun NOT a ponytail. Some how some hair got stuck behind the bolt that holds the handle on. I'm now missing those hairs and have a stinging scalp. It wasn't to many thank goodness, but enough to hurt. I should know better. I rarely wear a ponytail anymore. I guess I needed a reminder on why.
    Ouch!!

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Ugh, a new one for me. Measured my head circumference and ended up with the tape measure stuck, pulled a few hairs out before I even realised what had happened
    I've done that!
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    APL/WL/HL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I once got baby crap in my hair when bending over to change my son's diaper. It's not long enough for that to happen now. But yeah, pretty gross

I think I've probably had the end of my braid fall into the litterbox before (now it gets tucked down the back of my shirt). "Braid falling in front of my shoulder when I bend over" is the bane of my existence... it falls into whatever it is I'm bending over (litter box to clean it, cleaning buckets, sink, etc.), flops in the way of my line of sight as I'm trying to tie my shoes, etc.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

I've tried buns, hats, and scarves to keep hair protected but, I always seem to get caught in my rose bushes. My daughter usually has to come to the rescue because I just make it worse.