Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here shed specifically because of liquid shampoo?

Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Does anyone here shed specifically because of liquid shampoo?

I'm asking for my mom. She's been shedding all her life ever since she went over to the US and started using liquid shampoo. Back in her native country, shampoo bars were the norm and she did not start her hairloss issues until moving to America and switching over to liquid shampoo.

At first, we thought it was because those shampoos had sulfates and parabens in them so we switched over to shampoo bars that were sulfate and paraben free and her hairloss stopped.
    Today, I had her try Maui Moisture (which is both sulfate and paraben free but is a liquid shampoo.) She shed so much...

Now, she vows to only ever use shampoo bars.
    ☼ ☽ CL - SL - Collarbone - APL - BSL - WL ☾ ☼ ​
    https://64.media.tumblr.com/b76820fe04c7a7abe7460af10e2e58f3/234c604de5aacec4-fe/s2048x3072/889011b4db3765321357dcdf1fe6cb7704e778ff.png

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Default Re: Does anyone here shed specifically because of liquid shampoo?

I shed much less with shampoo bars personally and have been using them for well over a decade now.

Is it Bồ Kết shampoo she was using previously? (Honey locust in English)

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    I shed much less with shampoo bars personally and have been using them for well over a decade now.

Is it Bồ Kết shampoo she was using previously? (Honey locust in English)
    Actually my mom's pretty outspoken against Bồ Kết shampoo because a good majority of them are heavily commercially manufactured. She says that Bồ Kết is best used organically. I hope that didn't sound too stuck up haha.

But no, she doesn't use that. She doesn't remember which shampoo bar she used back in Vietnam, but it did the job and didn't make her shed. The ones that I ordered for her here off of Etsy also does the job so long as there's no SLS.
    But the moment she touches any liquid shampoo, she sheds terribly. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that liquid shampoo is generally thicker in consistency than the bar lather? Her fine hair is super fragile.
    https://64.media.tumblr.com/b76820fe04c7a7abe7460af10e2e58f3/234c604de5aacec4-fe/s2048x3072/889011b4db3765321357dcdf1fe6cb7704e778ff.png

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

My scalp did not like nonsulphate shampoos either. My skin also does much better with soap-soap and not detergent soap or "bodywash". We do have a large shampoo bar thread which I highly recommend. I'm sure folks would love to know which Etsy bar she likes

Ironically, most honey locust shampoos I have seen in the the US and Canada are organic! But I do usually see them as a liquid instead of a bar.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    APL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Sounds like I need to try out shampoo bars

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by JasminxCat View Post
    You should try it at least once in your life. Seems like for many, they're game changers.

For me, I have tried and currently using both cause...Variety. Plus liquid shampoos - some just smell too good for me to give up (looking at you Herbal Essences, Maui Moisture, Not Your Mother's and VO5 lol.)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by JasminxCat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Death-Within-Me View Post
    You should try it at least once in your life. Seems like for many, they're game changers.

For me, I have tried and currently using both cause...Variety. Plus liquid shampoos - some just smell too good for me to give up (looking at you Herbal Essences, Maui Moisture, Not Your Mother's and VO5 lol.)
    I agree with, at least, trying it out one time. You might like it!

Other than that, I did try, but it's not for me. And no, I for sure did not shed less, about the same!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL+
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I used a shampoo bar a lot few times ago and I didn't notice any difference in shedding.
    Next Goal: TBL. Final Goal: CL+.
    26/07/2019 last bleach - 11/10/2019 last dye

Length
    APL/37/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Could it be a difference in how the hair is handled? I used soap bars for a while and that really taughed me how to handle my hair in a way that tangles didn't form in the first place, so I had a lot less breakage all of a sudden.

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Finda View Post
    Could it be a difference in how the hair is handled? I used soap bars for a while and that really taughed me how to handle my hair in a way that tangles didn't form in the first place, so I had a lot less breakage all of a sudden.
    I wish we could blame it on how she handled her hair, but she's always super gentle and careful. The shedding yesterday was massive. Usually, she loses around 1-4 hairs per wash.
    The shedding yesterday was over 32 hairs.

This may not sound like much compared to everyone else here, but for her, that's a lot because her hair is already naturally fine and thin in density.