Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather haircare?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Cold weather haircare?

Skin is very much alive though, hair is just keratin, it's dead material. It's like saying a wool sweater or scarf suffers in cold weather. ETA/ At least that's my 2cts. I also think cold is not as bad as say hot temperatures are. Granted we're not talking -20°C here.
    Last edited by lapushka; January 15th, 2022 at 05:16 AM.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

My hair is usually more dry during summer when the air is really hot. During the winter time, my scalp is my main issue. I found that urea really helps.

Length
    20/24/??
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    …Granted we're not talking -20°C here.
    Funny you should say that as it is -20°C where I am. Heading out to walk the dog very soon (she has a huge fluffy coat and loves the cold). :-)

Winter hats don’t work well with buns so I’ve become a big fan of earmuffs for keeping hair up and away from coats, scarves and other winter clothes that pull.

I’m not very good at science stuff but this article on Science-y Hair Blog might be useful at explaining what helps hair in winter, and why. My understanding is that the amount of moisture hair holds is determined by the relative humidity of the environment. So when it’s cold and there is less moisture in the air, the hair holds less moisture too.

Generally I try and keep an equilibrium as far as possible. I protect my hair from the sun and from cold and only really leave it uncovered when nothing too exciting is happening weather-wise My hair is finicky and fragile so I got in the habit of tucking it away from environmental factors a long time ago, even when it was very short.

Length
    BSL/BCL/?
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I usually wear my hair under my coat when outside. But my winter are very humid, in the summer my hair dries more.
    26/07/2019 last bleach - 11/10/2019 last dye

Length
    27.5"/34”/41"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/iii

I always cover my hair completely in the cold. It really helps retain moisture in my experience. I have a big wooly hat that’s lined with satin. I love it!

For indoor dry air, I’ve just began doing ROO but using a good silicone serum every other day works well also for my hair.
    TBL now, current goal is Classic
    Weekly wash alternating SLES with sulfate-free, bbb enthusiast, sealing all the moisture in with *gasp!* baby oil! No trimming 2021 (first half)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I don't know why, but I keep my hair *very* much moisturized, oil rinse (which keeps the ends from drying out), double condition, and then added layers from my stylers. I think it helps, for some reason, it does. So we all might not have the same base to start from here. IDK. Cold doesn't bother me as much as my crimping iron ever did.

Length
    BSL/ankle/floor
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Huh, I've never thought to cover my hair going out in the winter, and it's regularly 20 below here. I haven't had problems. I'm only concerned with keeping it out of coat zippers!
    on to floor

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Posted this in the wrong thread, I think. She sometimes has good tips & tricks:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtCG...ist=WL&index=5

I might have been wrong on cold hair and such.

But like lapis, I just don't cover my hair... much at all.

Length
    APL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by knobbly View Post
    I always cover my hair completely in the cold. It really helps retain moisture in my experience. I have a big wooly hat that’s lined with satin. I love it!

For indoor dry air, I’ve just began doing ROO but using a good silicone serum every other day works well also for my hair.
    That sounds nice, I need one.
    I go outside often and I cover my hair with a hoodie to help retain moisture. If I don't then my hair always becomes dry. I have a lot of problems in the winter, worse season for my hair
    No trims since 11-25-21