Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everyday Hair Care and How To Grow My Hair 30”/Waist Length.

Length
    APL/37/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Everyday Hair Care and How To Grow My Hair 30”/Waist Length.

Hi, that's a great hair color!

I second Aerya, one cannot generally say that sulfates or silicones are bad. Sulfates clean the scalp and silicones give the hair slip and protection. When I wash my hair with SLS I need a lot less product for instance than when I wash with a shampoo that has a different sulfate or non at all. When I was looking for a routine, I really tried a lot and with every phase I went through I learned something new. For example, I also went without silicones and sulfates fo a while, but I found out that my hair doesn't like to go without. So try it out, maybe even more than once, but keep an open mind. When something just doesn't work try something else.

I have breakage prone hair, so for me reducing friction as much as possible, was key to growing long hair, but others already mentioned protective updos day&night, silk and no heat. People with more resistant hair don't necessarily need to be so militant about it. Have you ever tried to grow your hair long before?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

My best word of advice is: avoid heat. Get rid of the straightener. If you blow dry, don't use the hottest setting.

Length
    15.75/18/25
    Type
    2b/M/i/ii

I'm far from an expert but this time around I'm going full dedication because someone on this site said years ago you have to treat long hair like delicate lace.

For me that means no blow drying or straitening
    Wash/rinse with coldish water
    Dry with a microfiber hair wrap, not a regular towel that can be too rough for hair
    Using only telephone cord style hair ties (no elastics)
    And under no circumstance highlights, bleach, or chemical hair dyes

Good luck!
    These pics were about 10 years ago... Trying again from similar to that short pic.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GraceSchweter View Post
    Yes, I do use a straightener, I don’t normally use a curling iron. I haven’t trimmed my hair in a bit, my hair really doesn’t have split ends.

Thank you! I appreciate it. My hair is all natural, no colour and no perms or anything. It’s naturally this curly.
    Reason I asked, is you wanted an explanation for the possible non growth. Well, breakage can do that, if you aren't trimming it all away (the growth) by doing that too often or visiting a salon too often.

Examine your hair for white dots. They are generally way up a strand of hair, and form a loose angle in the hair, making it a point of future breakage. If you have a lot of those, there's your explanation.

Could you possibly then, give up the straightener. Even sometimes one time can bring about a lot of heat damage.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/TBL/term
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Aerya View Post
    A little note on sulfates and silicones. You'll often hear advice to avoid it, but YMMV.

For me, no-sulfate shampoos simply don't work. I don't know why, but that just leads to a lot of scalp pain. If your scalp isn't happy, your hair isn't either. If sulfate-free doesn't work for you, just use sulfates. I have WL+ hair and use sulfates with every wash. My hair looks fine and my scalp is happy.

As for silicones, they're great for a lot of people. I have dyed/bleached lengths. If I don't use a heavy conditioner with a lot of slip (which silicones are great at providing), it's a tangly mess. Having to rip through tangles several times a day isn't good for my hair. If you have damaged hair, silicones can actually be a benefit to your hair care routine. I know a lot of people with curly hair avoids silicones though, so YMMV. My point is simply that this isn't black and white, and if something works for you it's probably fine.
    Seconding this. I've tried sulfate free shampoo many times and my scalp always gets so itchy. With sulfates my scalp is very happy

The best advice I learned from LHC when I first joined, as my hair wasn't growing past my shoulders was, well...no bleach/dyes/heat, once I finally accepted that my hair began to grow like a weed.

currently between waist and TBL

Length
    18”/18”/30”
    Type
    3b/3c/C/iii

Thank you!
    Yes I have had my really long when I was a child.
    & I have been trying to grow my hair super long for awhile but I had always started to get uncomfortable with it so I would end up getting it cut. This time, I’m not cutting it, or changing my hair style. I have a goal and I’m sticking with it!!

Length
    Bald/5"/Floor
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I'll tell you what I did religiously when I grew to waist (and again, this time around):
    -Little to no heat styling.
    -Cassia (or henna) treatments
    -Oiled daily (jojoba and argan work great for me)
    -Protective hairstyles daily with sticks (not hair ties) to reduce fatigue in the same spots.
    -Silk or Satin pillowcase. Some have great success with satin caps, but I move too much in my sleep.
    -Keeping my hair out of pools (chlorine) as much as possible.
    -Washing only once or twice a week.
    -Not rubbing my hair after washing. Pretty much putting on a microfiber towel, letting it dry-ish, and light combing.
    Lady Alcithoe, Weaver of the Silken Strands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Start: Aug.2020
    Bald-Chin-Neck-Shldr-BSL-Waist-Hip-TB-Classic-FTL

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Welcome! Gorgeous colour, like autumn leaves. The others have already given you good advice. Less is definitely more and be super gentle. Mine has finally hit waist and is healthy without washing, just sebum only, but I do Take My Time to detangle and wear it in protective styles like buns and braids.
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...