Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What in the world is going on with my hair?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: What in the world is going on with my hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Kibrah View Post
    Thank you for the link. I am definitely more comfortable using one that you have had success with. They may not have anything ready made at the store as last time I went the shelves were very bare in the hair care and shampoo aisles. We shall see which I return with.

Like making gravy for your hair, lol
    Yeah, that! Hahaha!

Oh my, my phone ate this post twice.

I did the second clarifying wash today. Prior to washing the ends were still sticking together a little bit. That's all gone now. It is very very dry now though. I left the conditioner on longer as suggested. It was odd when I rinsed it out. It felt like I hadn't even put any conditioner on, it just felt squeaky clean. I applied a LOT, I guess my hair just soaked it all up. I waited until this evening to detangle and it went much better this time. Went slow and one section at a time. Only a few snaps.
    I think I will try the pre poo oiling and co-wash for the next wash day to help the dryness.

In the original post I had mentioned my hair seemed to be getting wavier on the new growth. Well, apparently, doing a super good clarify and long condish soak and now it's decided to be wavy everywhere except a few odd clumps. Of course the few odd clumps just had to sit on top in an odd way as well, haha. It's a mess in the picture as I hadn't detangled yet. The waves stayed after combing, just got super frizzy. I think it's definitely 2a at this point.

I was just about to say: WOW! Look at those wurls coming through! Amazing.

I'm glad it helped. I think your idea of where to go with next wash is *superb* and smart! Totally love it!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/WL/HL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Your hair is gorgeous Kibrah!

Length
    26 in/32 in/32 in
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by JasminxCat View Post
    Your hair is gorgeous Kibrah!
    Thank you for the compliment and the wonderful advice.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Yeah, that! Hahaha!

I was just about to say: WOW! Look at those wurls coming through! Amazing.

I'm glad it helped. I think your idea of where to go with next wash is *superb* and smart! Totally love it!
    Thanks! I am just using the advice from wonderful people here. Hopefully soon I will learn enough to help someone else in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Finda View Post
    Kibrah Looks beautiful! I'm not an expert on hair typing at all, but that could be 2b, especially on the back of your head.
    Do you really think so! For some silly reason that makes me happy. Thank you.

Length
    26 in/32 in/32 in
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Also, I found my silk scarf for hair. It was so nice to wake up this morning with no tangles.

Length
    26 in/32 in/32 in
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Did my pre poo oiling and co-wash. The conditioner surprised me at how well it got the coconut oil out. My hair is nice and clean without any shampoo. I did learn a few things. There is something in the VO5 strawberries and cream that makes me itch terribly. Anywhere it has touched is driving me crazy. I learned that my hair actually does like to be finger detangled when it has lot of conditioner in it, very surprised by that. I also learned that I need a heavier conditioner than the VO5 and one with more slip. My hair dried a whole lot faster than with regular shampoo, maybe because the pre oil kept it from absorbing so much water. I was pleasantly surprised by how well my hair responded to co-washing. It is softer and smoother feeling, but quite clean. Still kinda mushy feeling when wet though. My hair seems to have changed a lot lately. Apparently it being wavy makes it poof into a frizz ball when combed dry today. My DH found it quite entertaining and wanted to know if I had figured out how to fix that yet and get the nice waves back. It seems oil and braiding fix it somewhat. All in all I am very happy with how it went and I learned a lot trying something new. It will be about another week before we go to town and I can pick up something for the protein treatment. I'll probably pick up a different sulfate free shampoo and a better condish as well. I have the OGX renewing shampoo and condish, but I find it really harsh, DH does too and he puts anything in his hair. Plus I want something silicone free if I can and the OGX has amodimethicone in the shampoo and condish.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Did my pre poo oiling and co-wash. The conditioner surprised me at how well it got the coconut oil out. My hair is nice and clean without any shampoo. I did learn a few things. There is something in the VO5 strawberries and cream that makes me itch terribly. Anywhere it has touched is driving me crazy. I learned that my hair actually does like to be finger detangled when it has lot of conditioner in it, very surprised by that. I also learned that I need a heavier conditioner than the VO5 and one with more slip. My hair dried a whole lot faster than with regular shampoo, maybe because the pre oil kept it from absorbing so much water. I was pleasantly surprised by how well my hair responded to co-washing. It is softer and smoother feeling, but quite clean. Still kinda mushy feeling when wet though. My hair seems to have changed a lot lately. Apparently it being wavy makes it poof into a frizz ball when combed dry today. My DH found it quite entertaining and wanted to know if I had figured out how to fix that yet and get the nice waves back. It seems oil and braiding fix it somewhat. All in all I am very happy with how it went and I learned a lot trying something new. It will be about another week before we go to town and I can pick up something for the protein treatment. I'll probably pick up a different sulfate free shampoo and a better condish as well. I have the OGX renewing shampoo and condish, but I find it really harsh, DH does too and he puts anything in his hair. Plus I want something silicone free if I can and the OGX has amodimethicone in the shampoo and condish.
    Yeah, I learned my lesson not having conditioner touch my scalp (have SD, seborrheic dermatitis, hence let's call it "finicky" scalp). If you have oily or normal leaning towards oily hair, I just... wouldn't do it. You can easily do CWC lengths only. In fact, that is the only way I ever did it (before doing WCC).
    Last edited by lapushka; April 17th, 2021 at 03:36 AM. Reason: what is it with these typos

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

If I'm not mistaken, the VO5 product that made you itchy contains methylisothiazolinone and methylchloroisothiazolinone. These preservatives are known to be common allergens. I, for example, get an itchy rash if I have prolonged skin contact with them. So if your scalp generally responds fine to co-washing, it might just be these preservatives that are the issue.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    26 in/32 in/32 in
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Yeah, I learned my lesson not having conditioner touch my scalp (have SD, seborrheic dermatitis, hence let's call it "finicky" scalp). If you have oily or normal leaning towards oily hair, I just... wouldn't do it. You can easily do CWC lengths only. In fact, that is the only way I ever did it (before doing WCC).
    The thing is, it's not just my scalp. It's anywhere the conditioner touched, back, neck, a few places on my face, and the back of my hands. I was a bit itchy last time, but this second use of it it worse. I really think it's what Ylva is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the VO5 product that made you itchy contains methylisothiazolinone and methylchloroisothiazolinone. These preservatives are known to be common allergens. I, for example, get an itchy rash if I have prolonged skin contact with them. So if your scalp generally responds fine to co-washing, it might just be these preservatives that are the issue.
    Yes, I think that is it. I did some internet searching last night on it and came to that conclusion. My scalp doesn't have a rash, but my back and a few places on my face where a clump of hair smacked me do have a bit of red bumpiness. It's better today, but I am throwing out the rest of the bottle, good thing it was cheap.
    Last edited by Kibrah; April 17th, 2021 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Typos

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Yep, making a little "puddle" of a tiny bit of cornstarch & water (make "soup" of it as it were, a little cornstarch soup LOL) and then adding it in, don't make it too runny or use too much, though... less is more and it doesn't need much to thicken.

It's typically used to "bind" sauces.
    Search function is not working well for me and Advanced Search doesn't work at all so I can't find the original thread where you mentioned this to me, but I just tried this as today is wash day and it's close enough to May to call it May, and IT WORKS! The mix is soluble in water so no problems rinsing it out or clogging my drain with lumps, although if it "dries" it can take a lot of water.

So ... thank you lapushka!
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    Search function is not working well for me and Advanced Search doesn't work at all so I can't find the original thread where you mentioned this to me, but I just tried this as today is wash day and it's close enough to May to call it May, and IT WORKS! The mix is soluble in water so no problems rinsing it out or clogging my drain with lumps, although if it "dries" it can take a lot of water.

So ... thank you lapushka!
    And to mention I saw someone make their sauce thicker that way. My mom uses a cornstarch "mix" called "Maïzena" here in Belgium and it's a good binding agent. Makes any liquid a bit more of a substance, and yeah... it's smooth! Very smooth.

Happy to help!