Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soapwort-Infused Flaxseed Gel: Best Gentle DIY Shampoo EVER?

Default Re: Soapwort-Infused Flaxseed Gel: Best Gentle DIY Shampoo EVER?

Do you use any products for styling? I wonder if it will be enough to wash off the mousse.
    Thank you for the recipe! I want to try it if I can get a hold of soapwort.
    Last edited by Cyclamen; April 9th, 2021 at 09:28 PM.

Length
    SL-18/BL-28/KL-55
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclamen View Post
    Do you use any products for styling? I wonder if it will be enough to wash off the mousse.
    Thank you for the recipe! I want to try it if I can get a hold of soapwort.
    Personally I don't put anything on my hair except for my cleanser gel and the occasional few drops of olive oil, so I can't say for certain.
    But it definitely gets out olive oil and sebum perfectly well for me.
    BSL, 28” • WL, 31” • HL, 34” • TBL, 39” (personal best) • CL, 45” • FTL, 47” • MTL, 51” • KL, 54” •
    —2a, F, ii (2.5”)—

Length
    1/26.5/34
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Found some local soapwort; waiting for it to be delivered. Going to try out making some flaxseed gel with ground flaxseed in the meantime.

Length
    SL-18/BL-28/KL-55
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Flittingsis View Post
    Found some local soapwort; waiting for it to be delivered. Going to try out making some flaxseed gel with ground flaxseed in the meantime.
    Awesome! Please let me know how it works with the ground flaxseed, and if you use it with the whole flaxseeds sometime please also post a compare/contrast of the two different preparations. Thank you!
    BSL, 28” • WL, 31” • HL, 34” • TBL, 39” (personal best) • CL, 45” • FTL, 47” • MTL, 51” • KL, 54” •
    —2a, F, ii (2.5”)—

Length
    1/26.5/34
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I finally got my soapwort, however I could only get it powdered from a local source. I had been experimenting with flaxseed gel as a wash or in conjunction w/ a wash. I also got some reetha, amla, and shikakai powders and was experimenting w/ those. I found the flaxseed gel left my scalp flaky and the reetha, amla, and shikakai in different amounts all left my hair dry and piecy. I tried some reetha and slippery elm bark and it was better but not great. Once I got the soapwort I used it first w/ the slippery elm powder and it was ok. This past weekend I just did an egg wash and it was horrible the first day then was getting better, but I wanted to try the soapwort again. So the other day I steeped 1/2 Tbls of soapwort powder overnight in 6 oz of water then strained it. I made a separate rinse tea of green tea, catnip, nettle, lemon balm, and calendula. This has my hair feeling really nice after it air dried. No flakes, no residue, not piecy... some fairy knots... I will see how the week finishes and how long I can go before another wash, but I am optimistic!

Length
    SL-18/BL-28/KL-55
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Man, it's too bad you could only get powdered flaxseeds. Sounds like I should definitely stick with whole.
    I'm glad the powdered soapwort worked well for you! I think I heard somewhere that museums use soapwort teas to clean old textiles because it's so gentle.
    Thanks for getting back with your experience!
    —2a, F, ii (2.5”)—

Length
    Pixie/CBL/MTL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

Oooo I really want to try this recipe. I have been searching for a homemade shampoo option, and I already use flax seed gel a lot for detangling and as a gel, so maybe this could just fit right into my regimen!

Do you find that the shampoo has a good amount of slip?

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Just ordered soapwort will report back. My hair has been loving no sls so it might really like this.
    Current method: WCC ROO C LOC. trimming to TBL
    no SLS (but yes to SLES) Herbal rinses: catnip, fenugreek and just started using chagrin ACV rinse when needed scalp only to scalp happy (scalp prolly needs sls)

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I made it and washed with it today and my hair really loved it! I have the most waves I ever had so far! I have a whole rack of waves now at about shoulder length. Looks a bit weird but it will be good once they grow down.
    Current method: WCC ROO C LOC. trimming to TBL
    no SLS (but yes to SLES) Herbal rinses: catnip, fenugreek and just started using chagrin ACV rinse when needed scalp only to scalp happy (scalp prolly needs sls)

Thank you!