Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soapwort-Infused Flaxseed Gel: Best Gentle DIY Shampoo EVER?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    SL-18/WL-31/CL-45
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Soapwort-Infused Flaxseed Gel: Best Gentle DIY Shampoo EVER?

Sooo...about a year ago I was looking for a low-chemical or chemical-free way to wash my hair. I've tried WO (even SO), they just didn't work for me. I tried diluting shampoo, Chagrin Valley bars, lots of stuff. I liked the CV bars the best, but found it built up more frequently than I liked, forcing me to use the dreaded baking soda rinse to cleanse myself of the dreaded waxies every month or two.

I really liked the idea of using flaxseed gel as my shampoo (I find it to be very slightly cleansing). But I couldn't get that to work by itself, so I gave up for a little while. Then eventually, on random inspiration, I decided to try infusing my flaxseed gel with soapwort instead of plain water with herbs. It worked AMAZINGLY well, and I've been using it exclusively to shampoo my hair once a week ever since. It makes my hair perfectly clean, and so well nourished I almost never have to add oil.
    My hair is SO soft, manageable, and smoothed (by which I mean it basically never gets frizzy.) It’s pretty much the perfect all-in-one shampoo and conditioner. Soapwort is a very gentle–yet effective–cleanser and flaxseed is super nourishing. DREAM TEAM.

What I do is:

INGREDIENTS:
    • 3 Tbsp fresh (or 1Tbsp dried) soapwort per cup water
    • 6 cups water (calculate to fill your preferred container)
    • to ½ cups flaxseeds (for the above mentioned 6 cups, use more if you want your washing gel to be thicker/goopier. I like it rather thin.)
    OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS:
    • 1 Tbsp each other hair herbs for scent/other benefits (marshmallow, horsetail, nettle, lavender, rosemary, chamomile, etc)
    • 5 drops of any desired essential oils

DIRECTIONS:
    1.) Boil the water
    2.) Add the soapwort, flaxseed, herbs
    3.) Cover the pot and lower temp to allow a consistent gentle simmer (15min for fresh soapwort, 20min for dried.) Stir occasionally.
    4.) Leave to cool (add essential oils, if desired, when the gel is room temperature)
    5.) Strain with nylons/cheesecloth/fine-mesh sieve (depending on gel thickness)
    6.) Freeze excess in 1oz ice cube trays
    7.) Thaw 2 ice cubes per shampoo, I do this once per week.
    8.) *OPTIONAL* I follow with an ACV rinse just on principle (I have slightly hard water.)

I haven't tried this recipe with soap nuts yet, but theoretically it should be a similar experience. (As I understand it, if you wanted to use soap nuts you'd replace the soapwort in the recipe with 2-5 soap nuts per cup water, and mash them while boiling to release sufficient saponins.)

OBVIOUSLY YMMV.

**Please treat each unfamiliar ingredient with all due caution in case of skin sensitivities/allergies.**

If you read this and end up trying it, I'm interested to hear about your experience.

Good luck, and thank you for your time!
    • APL, 22” • BSL, 28” • WL, 31” • HL, 34” • TBL, 39” (meh) • CL, 45” (good) • FTL, 47” • MTL, 51” • KL, 54” (awesome) • UCL, 57" • CFL, 61" • AL, 67" (VALHALLA) •
    —1c/2a, F/M, ii (2.5”)—

Default Re: Soapwort-Infused Flaxseed Gel: Best Gentle DIY Shampoo EVER?

Wow. Kudos to you for dedication I would need the Half-Blood Prince's potions book.

Length
    SL-18/WL-31/CL-45
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by GordonMurphella View Post
    Wow. Kudos to you for dedication I would need the Half-Blood Prince's potions book.

I can be a total R+D freak when properly inspired, lol
    • APL, 22” • BSL, 28” • WL, 31” • HL, 34” • TBL, 39” (meh) • CL, 45” (good) • FTL, 47” • MTL, 51” • KL, 54” (awesome) • UCL, 57" • CFL, 61" • AL, 67" (VALHALLA) •
    —1c/2a, F/M, ii (2.5”)—

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Thanks for sharing this. Do you just apply the solution to your scalp like you would shampoo, I assume it doesn’t lather? I’m successfully doing SO but if I ever go back to shampoo I will certainly give this a try
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Length
    SL-18/WL-31/CL-45
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    Thanks for sharing this. Do you just apply the solution to your scalp like you would shampoo, I assume it doesn’t lather? I’m successfully doing SO but if I ever go back to shampoo I will certainly give this a try
    Hi Feral_!
    That's correct, it doesn't lather/suds up much at all.
    I thaw my 2 ice cubes, put the gel in an application bottle I bought from Sally's beauty supply, and shake the gel vigorously until it's foamy (the soapwort does contain saponins so it will get nice and foamy when shaken.)
    I pour a puddle in my hand (it's pretty much shampoo consistency the way I make it, so it's easy to handle) and kinda just smoosh it into my scalp hair all over, and gently massage it in, then rinse well. It doesn't take much rinsing to be completely clean. Then I follow with the ACV rinse.
    —1c/2a, F/M, ii (2.5”)—

Length
    1/26.5/34
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Now researching soapwort verses soap nuts and where I can locally purchase both/either.
    If/when I gather my ingredients and give this a try, I will report back.

Do you use whole or ground flaxseed?

Thank you!
    I love homemade concoctions that work!
    Last edited by Flittingsis; April 1st, 2021 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Emoji didn't work

Length
    SL-18/WL-31/CL-45
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Flittingsis View Post
    Now researching soapwort verses soap nuts and where I can locally purchase both/either.
    If/when I gather my ingredients and give this a try, I will report back.

Do you use whole or ground flaxseed?

Thank you!
    I love homemade concoctions that work!
    I use whole flaxseeds. (I really dislike gritty things in my hair, I never even thought to try it ground, hahaha)

Could be either golden or brown flaxseeds, whichever you have on hand. (My mix is currently half-and-half for no particular reason.)

I'm interested to hear how it works for you!
    Last edited by H.e.L; April 1st, 2021 at 10:19 AM. Reason: specificity
    —1c/2a, F/M, ii (2.5”)—

Length
    pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Oh wow! I'd love to hear about results from more people! Definitely going to my pending projects/experiments list!
    Lady Ysera, Mistress of Dreams in the Order of The Long Haired Knights

Length
    SL-18/WL-31/CL-45
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I hope you like it, LemonadeCandy! My hair/scalp has never been happier.
    Last edited by H.e.L; April 4th, 2021 at 01:54 PM.
    —1c/2a, F/M, ii (2.5”)—

Length
    APL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I'd also love to hear results from more people. I have sensitive skin so I would love to try this