Thread: Newbie saying hello (:

Length
    2/2/35
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Newbie saying hello (:

Hi everyone (:

I started reading here after deciding to use henna/henna based dye sometime last September.

The decision to go with herbal dyes came as a result of having put my hair through all kinds of semi-permanent & permanent hair dyes, frequently switching colours, the occasional bleaching session in between, trying to become platinum blond and then right back to dark tones. Rinse and repeat and start over again after cutting it short eventually, for the better part of 20 years. It's just hair, was my thinking but the last bleaching session caused severe irritations on the scalp and that was a bit of a wake-up call.

My hair also grows quite slowly, so now (~5.5months later) there finally was enough regrowth to get a pixie cut to start over with no more bleach left-overs. My goal is to grow my hair out as healthily as possible.

My current routine is to wash it with conditioner every three days, using dry shampoo in between if needed, and avoiding styling products (I do have a natural cosmetics type mousse, but use that maybe once every other week) and the blow-dryer. I use henna/herbal red dye every three weeks, naturally I'm dark ashy blonde with some grey.

What I'm super thankful to have learned here is how to look out for henna and other mixes that are purely plant-matter, I had used a type that contained a chemical colour-enhancer for a lack of better knowledge before reading up on all that.

And oops, that got super long already, so have a lovely day everyone (:

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Newbie saying hello (:

Welcome here!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Buzz/-BSL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Hello and welcome!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Hi & welcome.

One thing came to mind reading your intro. If you don't mind me saying so. If you CO-wash, and your hair starts feeling "icky" or not its usual self, do such a thing as "clarify-wash", that means getting all the gunk out with a very simple sulfate shampoo, a nice good cheap one will do the trick, but you can also buy special formulas like the Neutrogena clarifying shampoo.

Anyway, maybe you knew and I'm just preaching to the choir.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    2/2/35
    Type
    1a/F/i

Thank you all (:

And lapushka, yes that is pretty much what I've been doing every once in a while with a clarifying shampoo I use before applying henna (that was recommended on the instructions of the first type I tried so I just went with it) but thank you for the advice , especially with the dry shampoo it is needed sometimes!

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Welcome here!

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Welcome!

I will crawl out from your screen

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Howdy, nice to meet you! It can sometimes be difficult, especially when buying in a brick-and-mortar store where you don't have all the options you do online, to tell if what you are getting is pure henna or mixed herbs or henna and chemical dye. If you run across a brand you don't recognize, you can always try searching the name of it in the "herbal haircare" thread. Many of them have already been discussed.

Type
    2a/F/M/i

Welcome