Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Henna bleeding/washing out?

Length
    pixie/shldr/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Default Re: Henna bleeding/washing out?

Captainjanuary you might be right, I only wash my hair about once a week. I just hope it will have stopped fading when my roots get visible enough to do another application.

Length
    pixie/shldr/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by luzimerka View Post
    I think this can be caused by multiple things. From my observations, (and as mentioned above) Lush’s henna tends to fade quite quickly because of the oils that are part of the product. Was your hair dirty when you applied the henna? The oils in your hair could prevent the henna from penetrating the hair completely. How long did you keep the henna on for? I’ve noticed if you leave it on for longer there’s more fallout.
    Overall though, I wouldn’t worry about it. My first henna application bled like crazy, up to 2 months after the first dye, and the color was still there :-)
    Luzimerka, in the OP I listed my whole application method. I used pure henna on clean, virgin hair. Let the dye release for 3, kept the mud on my hair for 4 hours.
    Now, I'm interested about your case: during those two months, did you reapply the henna? Only on roots or length as well? Did it still bleed (but for a shorter time) after later applications?
    Thank you!

Length
    pixie/shldr/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Update for anyone interested: second wash, washed out a ton, again. Now, I'm not sure whether to wait for this to stop before the next application?
    At least now it has a really nice copper colour, not as red anymore!
    Lady Ysera, Mistress of Dreams in the Order of The Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

Since you’re looking for opinions, I would wait until the color stops bleeding before reapplying, because I would want to know the final tint to determine how strong I wanted the next application to be.

And I’m glad you’re happy with the resulting color so far!

Length
    pixie/shldr/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Jane99 View Post
    Since you’re looking for opinions, I would wait until the color stops bleeding before reapplying, because I would want to know the final tint to determine how strong I wanted the next application to be.

And I’m glad you’re happy with the resulting color so far!
    Thank you!

Length
    14/14/39
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

I am glad to find this thread! I just had the same problem with my henna. The color bleeds so much every time I wash my hair!

Length
    6/HL+/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Just as previous posters have stated: It may bleed with the first few washes and fade more with the first application. In my experience it is exactly like that: The henna I last applied fades the fastest, but the completely saturated henna on the length has hardly faded even after not touching up for three quarters of a year. It got more coppery with time but is still very very vibrant. I agree with others: If you dislike the fading but don't want it to get too dark, do some henna glosses of 15 to 30 minutes, wait two weeks between glosses because henna oxidizes and darkens within that period. This way, you get some henna build up and fade will lessen!
    Lady Bainwen, Scribe of Glorious Horizons in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Ear-Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL->Waist-HL-BCL-TBL-Classic

Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

I recently went back to henna after a year break. I experience more fading on my new hennaed hair, the older strands are saturated and solid. I plan to do 50/50% henna cassia mix for the third time and hope it will be enough to build the color.
    Anyways growing out for a year was great because now I know for sure next time I will have to cut the hair short if I decide to go back to my color. Blond next to henna for years and years is just too much for me personally. Since I'm not planing to go for a bob any time soon I do henna again

Length
    6/HL+/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    I recently went back to henna after a year break. I experience more fading on my new hennaed hair, the older strands are saturated and solid. I plan to do 50/50% henna cassia mix for the third time and hope it will be enough to build the color.
    Anyways growing out for a year was great because now I know for sure next time I will have to cut the hair short if I decide to go back to my color. Blond next to henna for years and years is just too much for me personally. Since I'm not planing to go for a bob any time soon I do henna again
    haha jep, I drew a similar conclusion. I missed my henna, and also I did not want to cut it all off and basically had Titian red/copper with blonde on top. It was okay, but only when I wore it half-up or braided. I'd rather have long, uniformly red, thick hair than wait another 3 years before I grow it out because I look just great with either red or blonde^^
    Lady Bainwen, Scribe of Glorious Horizons in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Ear-Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL->Waist-HL-BCL-TBL-Classic

Length
    pixie/shldr/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Hey everyone, a little update:

On the second application, I did my roots only, and then did a gloss on the lengths with the remaining henna.

It's still washing out, but significantly less. My theory is that it was washing out on my ends more, because my hair there is sun-bleached and very porous. Maybe that's why.

Now I almost don't notice the slightly orange water, unless I try to. xD When I do a conditioning mask, it also turns more yellow-y than usual. But again, the fading has plateaued.

Just thought It'd be useful/interesting to update!