Thread: Newbie!

Default Newbie!

Hi!

I'm a newbie (ish, I used to be a member maybe six years ago, but have no idea what my account was, or even what email I used...). After a lot of shorter cuts and crazy bleaching, I'm now growing out mostly natural (there's still a little bleach at the ends, and I may wind up dumping semi-permanent dye on it soon for an interesting sheen), and my hair is currently around shoulder length. I'm not sure about my hair type, but it's curly.

Looking forward to getting it long enough for some interesting styles, but for now I will be just admiring all the pretty pictures people post here! Lastly, any tips for learning to do braid styles other than english? Even with my fairly short hair, my shoulder starts to hurt really badly when I try to do any more complicated braids.

Length
    Buzz/SH/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Newbie!

Welcome! I'm right there with you on the shoulder pain, I've found that my arms do get more used to it the more I practice, but often I'll just hold the hair in one hand while I take a break and then swap hands to rest the other (my hair isn't even that long, french braids are just such a pain!) I really envy people who are good at them, haha.
    I have found them easier with longer hair though weirdly enough, it just seems that bit easier to control with a little more weight in the sections. Apparently it's good to learn while hair is wet, but I'm not too keen on that as then the hair takes longer to dry which can make it more vulnerable to damage (though I don't know how damaged it may get in a plait anyway, so perhaps I'm being a bit over cautious). Good luck anyways

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by venturus View Post
    Hi!

I'm a newbie (ish, I used to be a member maybe six years ago, but have no idea what my account was, or even what email I used...). After a lot of shorter cuts and crazy bleaching, I'm now growing out mostly natural (there's still a little bleach at the ends, and I may wind up dumping semi-permanent dye on it soon for an interesting sheen), and my hair is currently around shoulder length. I'm not sure about my hair type, but it's curly.

Looking forward to getting it long enough for some interesting styles, but for now I will be just admiring all the pretty pictures people post here! Lastly, any tips for learning to do braid styles other than english? Even with my fairly short hair, my shoulder starts to hurt really badly when I try to do any more complicated braids.
    Maybe try contacting a mod, or post in "site support"; they perhaps can work with you on getting your old account back? It's about the 1 account per life-time rule. A little concerned for you here.

Otherwise, welcome back. I might have recognized the old user name, as I'm quite the "oldie" around here.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Maybe try contacting a mod, or post in "site support"; they perhaps can work with you on getting your old account back? It's about the 1 account per life-time rule. A little concerned for you here.

Otherwise, welcome back. I might have recognized the old user name, as I'm quite the "oldie" around here.
    Thanks for letting me know, I emailed staff and they merged my accounts for me! (And yes, I remember your posts (and your avatar, I love the gold) from when I was here before, though I've never been a super active poster so my username probably wouldn't stick out.)

And Bugg, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person with difficulty braiding! I'm always a little nervous working with my hair wet, because it tangles easily, but maybe braids will get easier when my hair is a bit longer.

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Welcome back!

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Welcome back Yassi!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome back!

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Howdy! Glad to hear the mods were able to merge your accounts. I have so many ancient usernames on disused forums that I would never be able to recall now--!