Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alma over henna?

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Default Alma over henna?

I'm still growing out my Red Raj lengths, and the roots are being dyed with a 40/60 henna cassia, which is a great transition color for me as it grows out. But lately I've noticed that my hair just isn't working for me, and I couldn't figure out why until now - it's my wispy baby hairs around my face that don't grow longer than 2 inches and are naturally lightest blonde and have had like 10 henna treatments. They are bright orange/red, while the rest of my hair is a medium auburn. The auburn looks great, but the bright orange doesn't. It's just odd looking because it's so out of place. If my whole head was bright orange it would make more sense.

SO I'm wondering if I could apply amla just to the baby hairs to add a darker, ashy tone so that it matches the rest of my hair? Would this work? Is it permanent? Any experiences with amla over henna? Or with henna?
    Buzz - Pixie - Bob - Shoulder - CBL - APL - MBL - Waist - Hip

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

Default Re: Alma over henna?

I believe amla will only affect the color of henna if it is applied while henna is still oxidizing. But I don’t have experience! Good luck! Those baby hairs can be so pesky.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I think amla is not permanent, at least the oil isn't and I suppose the powder isn't either.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I haven’t experienced amla to be sticky without the henna. I use a henna mix that is darkened by amla. But when I tried an amla treatment separately, all it did was condition my hair. I didn’t see a color change. (I did the same with jatamansi and had similar lackluster results.)
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I tried amla over my henna once, did nothing to the henna color and was a gloppy mess to work with. It didn't stick to the hair and kept fall off.

You might have better luck mixing a little indigo into you henna mix to, won't be ashy but would tone down the orange

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Ah darn. Well I will just keep letting it grow out until everything matches again. Not sure it would be worth the effort to mix two separate henna muds just for my baby hairs. I will just have to be diligent about keeping henna of those hairs and eventually they'll lose the intense color.

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Something else I am interested in knowing regarding amla, if anyone knows:

Now that I know that amla applied to hennaed hair after oxidation won't affect color, I'm curious to know if I can restore texture to hair that has been straightened after henna? My crown is now nearly straight and the underlayer is wavy/curly, so I'm wondering if I can restore some of the lost volume on top by doing amla masks.

I tried to find this info online, but all I found was that you can mix amla paste into pre-dye released henna mix so that you preserve texture without muting color.

Length
    Waist/3 ft./6ft.
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

THAT info is quite news to me! I've only really heard of Amla being used to tone down the inevitable orange POP;in masks as an attempt to combat loss of curl, or just for general herbal goodness. I always add a couple Tbs. Of Amla powder to my henna mix WHEN I MIX UP THE PASTE. In other words; I don't see why any two- step process would be needed? Can you explain a bit? Cause maybe I should be doing it that way!

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

I also wasn't aware of this, but I read it here: https://www.ancientsunrise.blog/tag/...%20application.

"If you wish to keep a brighter tone, dye-release your mix with your choice of acid, then mix 25g of amla into a paste, and stir this into your henna or cassia just before application. This will protect your curls without neutralizing henna and/or cassia’s brighter tones."

EtA: will amla alone as a mask restore curl from previously hennaed hair?

Edit 2: nevermind, I've just read that the effects are temporary.
    Last edited by stardust lady; March 28th, 2021 at 02:18 AM.

Length
    5/5/10
    Type
    1b/F/M/i

I’ve read all the comments and I would like to share my experience. I once tried using alma over my henna. It really did nothing to the color of henna as I was imagining. For more clarity, you can visit this site SPAMMEROO It didn’t even stick to the henna and all of this caused a lot of irritation. It kept falling off. If you want to give your henna an orange color, you should a little indigo in your henna.
    Last edited by Ylva; April 9th, 2021 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Spammy link removed