Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from a newbie :-)

Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Default Hello from a newbie :-)

Hi everyone, glad I found this place! I'm really struggling with my hair since trying to grow it longer and not being able to go to a stylist since covid happened.

My hair is super fine and seems to be stuck at the same length forever, just around my shoulder blades. For some reason there is always one shorter layer of my hair at the back that gets breakage and gets really tangled. I do microtrim it to keep it from snagging but as a result it just never catches up to the rest of my layers. Any advice?

(By the way, I keep seeing abbreviations on here when people talk about their hair length. Is there a guide to those for the clueless?).

Length
    scalp/50/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: Hello from a newbie :-)

Hi, I can't offer you any advice on your hair but here's a guide to many of the abbreviations you see

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ad.php?t=54874
    scalp > SL > MBL > WL > TBL > FTL > LHC > ???

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Hello and welcome. Perhaps if you say what your hair care routine is people can advise
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Hi, welcome here! Do you wear your hair down? It sounds like at your length if you are, it could be prone to rubbing on chair backs, purse straps, clothing, general tangling etc. If you wear it up it will protect your ends a lot and so help it grow longer. Also if you use heat on your hair it does cause terrible damage, better not to if you can avoid that too.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by maddie9 View Post
    Hi everyone, glad I found this place! I'm really struggling with my hair since trying to grow it longer and not being able to go to a stylist since covid happened.

My hair is super fine and seems to be stuck at the same length forever, just around my shoulder blades. For some reason there is always one shorter layer of my hair at the back that gets breakage and gets really tangled. I do microtrim it to keep it from snagging but as a result it just never catches up to the rest of my layers. Any advice?

(By the way, I keep seeing abbreviations on here when people talk about their hair length. Is there a guide to those for the clueless?).
    I would stop trimming it ever so often. Hair only grows 6 inches a year, on average (if you're lucky even), and if you want to actively grow, you have to just let it be. Even cutting a cm off every month will just keep you where you are.

There is a sticky in the newbie section that you can read and there will be a link in there to the abbreviations.

Welcome!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Thank you everyone. I'm slowly working my way through some of the recommended posts in the forums. It's a lot but there's so much valuable info I had never heard before. In the meantime I appreciate your advice and pointing me to the right resources on here

I haven't got a hair routine that's really set in stone, but in general:

My hair at the very longest has been BSL, but I used to trim it back to collarbone length pretty regularly to maintain volume. Currently it's at APL.

Most of the time I wear my hair in a semi-messy bun at the top of my head with one of those twisty hair scrunchies. Could this be damaging the shorter layers? Any neat or elaborate braided updos are impossible right now because all the different layers stick out but I'm open to any suggestions anyone has, especially for sleeping in without damaging.

I wash my hair twice to once a week using silicone and sulphate-free products, mostly follow the CG method and no blow drying or heat styling at all. I've never bleached or coloured my hair chemically (have used chamomile tea a few months ago to try lightening it but with little results).

My biggest problem is lack of volume because I have ultra fine hair. If I leave it down, it looks best on the first day after washing with some defined waves but after the second day it starts to frizz. When it does start growing past APL the ends look really stringy and limp (not at all like the nice 'fairytale ends' people on these forums have, lol). On the other hand if I use products in my hair or even the slightest bit of argan oil it gets really greasy and really darkens in colour. I guess that might mean I have high porosity hair?

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Welcome!

I will crawl out from your screen

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by maddie9 View Post
    Thank you everyone. I'm slowly working my way through some of the recommended posts in the forums. It's a lot but there's so much valuable info I had never heard before. In the meantime I appreciate your advice and pointing me to the right resources on here

I haven't got a hair routine that's really set in stone, but in general:

My hair at the very longest has been BSL, but I used to trim it back to collarbone length pretty regularly to maintain volume. Currently it's at APL.

Most of the time I wear my hair in a semi-messy bun at the top of my head with one of those twisty hair scrunchies. Could this be damaging the shorter layers? Any neat or elaborate braided updos are impossible right now because all the different layers stick out but I'm open to any suggestions anyone has, especially for sleeping in without damaging.

I wash my hair twice to once a week using silicone and sulphate-free products, mostly follow the CG method and no blow drying or heat styling at all. I've never bleached or coloured my hair chemically (have used chamomile tea a few months ago to try lightening it but with little results).

My biggest problem is lack of volume because I have ultra fine hair. If I leave it down, it looks best on the first day after washing with some defined waves but after the second day it starts to frizz. When it does start growing past APL the ends look really stringy and limp (not at all like the nice 'fairytale ends' people on these forums have, lol). On the other hand if I use products in my hair or even the slightest bit of argan oil it gets really greasy and really darkens in colour. I guess that might mean I have high porosity hair?
    A peacock twist (make a tail low on the head, but not quite at the nape, twist it up, clip it up with a claw clip) will be much easier on the hair than that "bunched up" bun. Those elastic/buns really are quite tough on the hair. Well, they were for me in any case.

Argan oil is a pretty "heavy" oil. Maybe try grapeseed or sweet almond, if you have access to it.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    chin/hip/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Hi Maddie, welcome! There's lots of folks with fine hair, here - including me! - and it does take some experimenting to find the best products and styles for your hair and texture.

In terms of styles: I love a high bun, but it's hard to make a nice one at APL without having to use a hair elastic or a ton of bobby pins. I had a decent amount of mechanical damage when my hair was that length from goody elastics and bobby pins! Soft scrunchies are probably ok, but you might explore other more protective styles, too. There's so many resources here, I hope you start finding new ways to care for your hair. Looking forward to seeing it!
    artist, lover, general mystic; maker of many things
    current length: hip / current goal: tbl

Length
    Buzz/-BSL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Welcome! I'm new too so I don't have a great deal of advice that hasn't already been mentioned, but good luck on your hair growing journey! You hair sounds pretty similar to mine though, perhaps we'll see each other in some of the other threads