Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The hair butter thread

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: The hair butter thread

Quote Originally Posted by xel View Post
    This is such an intriguing thread! It seems like so far people use it as a leave-in. Can it also be used for deep conditioning?
    I'm glad that you're enjoying it, xel!

I use it almost exclusively as a pre-wash deep conditioner. I apply it to the length of my hair at least a few hours (usually overnight) before shampooing.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Does anybody here use cocoa butter as a leave-in? I have questions. Do you have to melt it in the microwave or can you just warm it in your hands? Does it make your hair ďcrunchyĒ like a gel or mousse? Do you use it before leave-in oils or after?
    Last edited by Handel'sWig; March 22nd, 2021 at 01:00 PM.

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Update: I tried it. I just did my usual light oiling with baby oil mixed with a tiny bit of lavender oil, then rubbed a bit of cocoa butter in my hands and put it on my hair before braiding for bed. I think my ends felt softer than usual and it gave my hair a shine. But my braid waves were super defined this morning which I donít like ( my braid waves are tight, kinky and poofy, I donít get the pretty waves some of you do). Canít say it did anything frizz wise. Juryís still out on this one. Iíll have to keep using it and see how it goes. If I do decide to incorporate it permanently into my routine, Iíll have to either change my sleep style or apply oil and butter in the morning instead of at night.

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Handel'sWig View Post
    Update: I tried it. I just did my usual light oiling with baby oil mixed with a tiny bit of lavender oil, then rubbed a bit of cocoa butter in my hands and put it on my hair before braiding for bed. I think my ends felt softer than usual and it gave my hair a shine. But my braid waves were super defined this morning which I don’t like ( my braid waves are tight, kinky and poofy, I don’t get the pretty waves some of you do). Can’t say it did anything frizz wise. Jury’s still out on this one. I’ll have to keep using it and see how it goes. If I do decide to incorporate it permanently into my routine, I’ll have to either change my sleep style or apply oil and butter in the morning instead of at night.
    Another thing to consider is using butter as a pre-wash, Handel'sWig.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Ankle/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Not a butter technically but my hair also votes for babassu oil. All the benefits of coconut oil but none of the drawbacks (ahem, crunchiness). I currently use it mixed with some castor oil (and maybe rice bran, at the moment?) as pre-poo oil. It was fine by itself but I decided to mix a small amount with other oils just to see, and to help keep it liquid. I can't say I noticed much difference between pure babassu and the mix, tbh though it is easier to apply when I only heat it to become less viscous, rather than having to actually melt it. My hands are never warm enough to easily melt any oils/butters!

So no, not butter for me, but as others mentioned babassu I thought I'd chime in
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Not a butter technically but my hair also votes for babassu oil. All the benefits of coconut oil but none of the drawbacks (ahem, crunchiness). I currently use it mixed with some castor oil (and maybe rice bran, at the moment?) as pre-poo oil. It was fine by itself but I decided to mix a small amount with other oils just to see, and to help keep it liquid. I can't say I noticed much difference between pure babassu and the mix, tbh though it is easier to apply when I only heat it to become less viscous, rather than having to actually melt it. My hands are never warm enough to easily melt any oils/butters!

So no, not butter for me, but as others mentioned babassu I thought I'd chime in
    Thank you, MusicalSpoons! Whole Foods doesn't carry babassu. I will probably have to order it online the next time I run out of oil.

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I want to make my own hair butter again. I think I'm going to add babassu, coconut oil, shea butter and some vitamin e oil. Wish me luck!

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by cestlavie View Post
    I want to make my own hair butter again. I think I'm going to add babassu, coconut oil, shea butter and some vitamin e oil. Wish me luck!
    Good luck! That sounds like a lovely combination!

Length
    CBL/MBL/HL
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Curious to try this now, it sounds super luxurious. Any European hair brands to recommend?
    Collarbone (12.08.21) | Armpit (16.10.21) | Midback (14.10.22) | Waist | Hip

Length
    APL/MBL/MBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

This is interesting. What's the consistency like for hair butters? I'd want to test it out as a pre poo. Does it build up easily?