Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The hair butter thread

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: The hair butter thread

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    Babassu oil is amazing.. it penetrates the hair like coconut oil, but for me it doesn’t leave it feeling product-y which coconut did. Gives a lovely softness and shine. For my jar quantities it was approx 2 teaspoons each of babassu and shea butter. I melted them in the jar using the microwave on low setting, then added 2 drops each of rosemary and palmarosa and stirred with a cocktail stick. Allow to cool before putting lid on and storing in fridge.
    Thank you for the recipe, Feral! I'm going to Whole Foods tomorrow. I'm going to see if they have babassu oil.

Quote Originally Posted by physicschick View Post
    Currently I'm using Oyin Whipped Pudding on wet hair after each wash. It's not my favorite smell, but it works fine and the scent dissipates quickly. I used to make my own hair butter (4:3:1 cocoa butter:almond oil:jojoba oil by weight), but it doesn't last as well as the Whipped Pudding due to lack of preservatives.
    Thank you for your recipe, physicschick.

The Oyin Whipped Pudding looks nice, too. The castor oil would make it too heavy for my hair. But I like that it has aloe in it. Maybe I'll add aloe the next time I make hair butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Suortuva View Post
    My hair loves Babassu oil.

I have a self made hair salve, that works very well for me. It's mostly Cocoa and Shea butter, but I think there's some Babassu and Coconut oil too, and possibly even something else, and Mandarin and Orange EO.
    I love the fragrance of sweet orange oil.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by cestlavie View Post
    Oooh, I like this thread already! I love love love Panacea as well but can't afford it right now I purchased some babassu oil a few weeks ago and I really like it. Works better for me than coconut oil and it sinks right in. Maybe I want to make a recipe with so I will keep an eye on this threar to gather more inspiration!
    cestlavie, I'm glad that you're enjoying this thread.

I need to try hair butter. Thank you for this information.

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by pisces1480 View Post
    I need to try hair butter. Thank you for this information.
    You're very welcome, pieces! Please let us know how it works for you.

I have thin hair and the hair butter helps my hair to look more alive. Usually I use hair butter 20 minutes before my shower to nourish and protect hair. And sometimes afrer shower I put the hair butter on my wet hair to make it shine. Now I use "Naturally Smitten Moisturizing Hair Butter" and it suits my hair well.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I wonder, Neoma, does a "curl cream" qualify as hair butter? I don't think a leave-in would, but a curl cream has a thicker consistency and often does have butters in it.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I wonder, Neoma, does a "curl cream" qualify as hair butter? I don't think a leave-in would, but a curl cream has a thicker consistency and often does have butters in it.
    Interesting question, lapushka. Since my hair is stick straight, I had to look up what's in curl cream. It looks like the ingredients are very similar, though the purpose is different.
    What exactly IS a curl creme? ... Curl creams aide in providing a soft hold and definition to curls. They can often be more nourishing then gels and leave less build up. They don't have a “crunch” effect when your hair dries, as some gels and even mousses may leave behind
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaella4b View Post
    I have thin hair and the hair butter helps my hair to look more alive. Usually I use hair butter 20 minutes before my shower to nourish and protect hair. And sometimes afrer shower I put the hair butter on my wet hair to make it shine. Now I use "Naturally Smitten Moisturizing Hair Butter" and it suits my hair well.
    Thank you for sharing your experience, Michaella4b! That hair butter looks very nutritious!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    Interesting question, lapushka. Since my hair is stick straight, I had to look up what's in curl cream. It looks like the ingredients are very similar, though the purpose is different.
    I have, for instance, the "Curl Enhancing smoothie", by Shea Moisture, or the "Frizz-Taming smoothie", by Shea Moisture. Love these both and they might technically do the same thing, I don't think I apply nearly as much as someone using a plain butter cream would? I use about 2 dollops (about 2 coins' worth) and scrunch it in.

The reason I asked is because physicschick mentioned the Oyin, and I thought that was a curl cream? Or, used as such... at least, I think.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I have, for instance, the "Curl Enhancing smoothie", by Shea Moisture, or the "Frizz-Taming smoothie", by Shea Moisture. Love these both and they might technically do the same thing, I don't think I apply nearly as much as someone using a plain butter cream would? I use about 2 dollops (about 2 coins' worth) and scrunch it in.

The reason I asked is because physicschick mentioned the Oyin, and I thought that was a curl cream? Or, used as such... at least, I think.
    I think the amount varies according to hair length / type and what you’re doing with the cream. My understanding is butters and salves are richer than creams, and probably contain fewer ingredients? With my salve I apply a fingernail sized amount and melt between my palms to then distribute through damp ends on one half of my hair, then repeat on the other side. It’s very concentrated so I only need that amount.
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Type
    1a/M/iii

This is such an intriguing thread! It seems like so far people use it as a leave-in. Can it also be used for deep conditioning?