Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hair lightening using clay?

Default Re: Hair lightening using clay?

Quote Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
    This method doesn't have the synthetic ingredients that are commonly used, like ammonia, persulfates or ammonium persulfates. So the things that make your scalp itch. I read someone being pleased that clay lightening didn't make their scalp burn or itch, so that would be one pro. Also the eco approach is quite a big deal for many and for example ammonia is harmful for aquatic life.
    Hm. I thought a lot of people were anti-peroxide?

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Fair enough, I didn't know different clays had different pHs. I've never heard of kaolin being moisturising though!
    I hadn't, either-- I thought clays were supposed to be drying. Hence why they're in so many products for oily skin, and people with dry-to-normal skin are told to avoid clay masks and such...
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    SL/MBL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Fair enough, I didn't know different clays had different pHs. I've never heard of kaolin being moisturising though!

I looked up the ingredients for 10vol developer, most of them don't contain ammonia either. The ingredients probably aren't biodegradable though. I just don't know enough to be able to work out whether flushing any highly alkaline substances down the water system is a good idea, even if they are all natural ingredients - in nature they (probably) wouldn't be mixed together or in such concentrations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Hm. I thought a lot of people were anti-peroxide?

I hadn't, either-- I thought clays were supposed to be drying. Hence why they're in so many products for oily skin, and people with dry-to-normal skin are told to avoid clay masks and such...
    That was a new claim for me too! I'm looking at random sources that say bentonite clay "can offer deep moisture" for hair and somewhere it was stated that while doing the clay lightening, it's good that the clay hardens a bit and creates a barrier, the other ingredients work better under it, something about moisture and so on. Still, it goes against my image of having clay on hair and sounds/feels odd haha.

I have no idea about anti-peroxide, since I never had scalp, skin, breathing etc. issues when my hair was bleached.

Quote Originally Posted by cestlavie View Post
    I find this very interesting! I'm going to do some research just for fun. I think this is a matter of choosing your battles: biodegradable/non-biodegradable, natural/synthetic ingredients, high lightning/minor lightning etc. I think it's pretty cool that this option is available
    It does sound interesting and promising to me but still need to read more I wonder if there's a reason why you don't hear about this too much... I'm still hopeful that someone here on this forum has personal experience and could give some insight!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I thought bentonite clay was used for clarifying. And for stripping like no other? Maybe I'm wrong.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I have no idea about anti-peroxide, since I never had scalp, skin, breathing etc. issues when my hair was bleached.
    I always thought the concern was that it was too harsh for hair. Hence why many are always looking for "more natural" alternatives, and why some people prefer to use honey, for example, and then others remind them that honey still has peroxide, just a lower percentage.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    SL/MBL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I thought bentonite clay was used for clarifying. And for stripping like no other? Maybe I'm wrong.
    I read couple of articles that claim bentonite is conditioning, moisturizing and clarifying but only one so far stated that there are still few scientific studies out there, they had one link to a study that is about sheep wool growing quicker and softer with bentonite clay lol This could also be about hair texture since majority of these articles are aimed at curly and kinky hair? They still advertise it as suitable for dry, damaged etc. hair.

The article with the sheep study link https://www.healthline.com/health/be...or-hair#recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I always thought the concern was that it was too harsh for hair. Hence why many are always looking for "more natural" alternatives, and why some people prefer to use honey, for example, and then others remind them that honey still has peroxide, just a lower percentage.
    That makes sense. I've done honey and cinnamon lightening myself back in the day haha. There's still no actual alternative for peroxide if you want to go fully blonde. This method is pretty clear about the ingredients and apparently it's a pro for some that the ingredients list is short and simple. I haven't seen anyone claiming that it's damage free lightening but "gentler" and that's why I was looking to hear from people who have personal experience, how they feel this compares to traditional bleaching.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I read couple of articles that claim bentonite is conditioning, moisturizing and clarifying but only one so far stated that there are still few scientific studies out there, they had one link to a study that is about sheep wool growing quicker and softer with bentonite clay lol This could also be about hair texture since majority of these articles are aimed at curly and kinky hair? They still advertise it as suitable for dry, damaged etc. hair.

The article with the sheep study link https://www.healthline.com/health/be...or-hair#recipe

That makes sense. I've done honey and cinnamon lightening myself back in the day haha. There's still no actual alternative for peroxide if you want to go fully blonde. This method is pretty clear about the ingredients and apparently it's a pro for some that the ingredients list is short and simple. I haven't seen anyone claiming that it's damage free lightening but "gentler" and that's why I was looking to hear from people who have personal experience, how they feel this compares to traditional bleaching.
    I see some natural YT'ers using the clay as a conditioner, like you mentioned, but fairly few. I see most mixing it with ACV (apple cider vinegar) to create this concoction to clarify their hair once a month or so.

But I have to say... I am intrigued by this thread.

Wonder what you will end up doing in the end.

Would it be possible to test strand a big ball of shed hair, for the chemical side, and one for the natural side, and see which one you like more? I would strongly recommend, and wouldn't just make up your mind and then use your head as a lab, if you will.

If you could then take pictures, and post it... it would lift this thread to a whole nother level!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/MBL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I see some natural YT'ers using the clay as a conditioner, like you mentioned, but fairly few. I see most mixing it with ACV (apple cider vinegar) to create this concoction to clarify their hair once a month or so.

But I have to say... I am intrigued by this thread.

Wonder what you will end up doing in the end.

Would it be possible to test strand a big ball of shed hair, for the chemical side, and one for the natural side, and see which one you like more? I would strongly recommend, and wouldn't just make up your mind and then use your head as a lab, if you will.

If you could then take pictures, and post it... it would lift this thread to a whole nother level!
    Yup I've seen those DIY recipes too, clay paired with other ingredients since on its own it probably wouldn't do much.

Oh yeah I will definitely report back here if I try it! I would feel more comfortable doing strand or shed hair testing with my usual hairdresser but she doesn't do clay lightening... I know couple of other places that provide the service but would probably feel too shy to ask anything unusual Another reason to be nervous, completely new person would be doing my hair! I'm still only contemplating the possibility, so won't be doing anything to my hair any time soon.