Thread: Hello!

Red face Hello!

Hi everyone! I thought I should finally get around to introducing myself after lurking for a few months.

I had mid back length hair with really choppy grown out layers. I have had layers probably since middle school. Hairdressers really love to put layers in fine hair... Yes, it looks great if you heat style your hair but I never had the patience to do so. My layers would always end up making my hair look thinner than it was. Back in August, I decided to do a big chop up to the shortest layer (a little past armpit length) in order to remove my layers. I have been growing my hair out since then. It feels so thick now!

I never did any sort of hair care other than shampoo conditioner so since August I have been figuring out a routine that my hair likes.

I use ogx shampoos since they are "sulfate free" but still have a pretty strong sulfate replacement in them. My hair gets oily fast and it doesn't get along with shea moisture/sulfate free products so "imitation sulfates" have been my compromise towards being sulfate free. I currently use silicone heavy conditioners since my hair seems to get along with them but I may start to dabble in silicone free conditioners. I do a moisturizing mask and a protein treatment every two weeks or so. My hair loves coconut oil, jojoba, and avocado oils. I get so much shine and softness from them! I don't know how I lived most of my life without hair oils!

For the past 3 years I have been dying my hair with box dye. Yikes, I know. My one comfort is that its only 20 volume developer and I do it every 2 months or so. Because of that, I definitely struggle with split ends so I have been doing a search and destroy once a month hoping that will be enough to keep my hair as healthy as it can be.

Hopefully I can make it to my goal length with the proper hair health/condition!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Hello!

My mom is about your thickness, and she has almost all one length, the top layer is brought up about an inch. You do that by making a horseshoe section up top, take the hair to the top and cut the little tips off (not even an inch). Then it will be "beveled" a bit on the bottoms. Got that from a Brad Mondo video. Mom likes it! Maybe an idea? It just finishes the cut, you know? Even if you don't like layers, and mom doesnt! It looks nice on the ends.

Welcome!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Hello and welcome!

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Welcome here!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Welcome!

Length
    Shave/Mid t/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Hi and welcome

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome!

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Howdy, good to meet you : )

One thing: if the OGX shampoos are agreeing with your hair, then more power to you. But I don't think there's much value in going sulfate-free (or silicone-free) for its own sake. Experiment with what your own hair "takes to" best, and don't be too worried about ideas of what is inherently right or wrong for your hair. You will find people on this forum using about every combination of products under the sun, and some using zero products! Everybody's hair/scalp/tastes/time/budget is way different.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Howdy, good to meet you : )

One thing: if the OGX shampoos are agreeing with your hair, then more power to you. But I don't think there's much value in going sulfate-free (or silicone-free) for its own sake. Experiment with what your own hair "takes to" best, and don't be too worried about ideas of what is inherently right or wrong for your hair. You will find people on this forum using about every combination of products under the sun, and some using zero products! Everybody's hair/scalp/tastes/time/budget is way different.