Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Multi-Level Marketing / MLM brands

hair-brained
    Length
    pixi/butt/butt+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Exclamation Multi-Level Marketing / MLM brands

Would it be alright to start a discussion on MLM-companies in this sub-forum? Obviously MLMs exist in all industries, not just hair care, but I'd love to hear other peoples general opinions on MLMs, as well as specific opinions/experiences with hair care MLMs.

MLMs are essentially companies that recruit individuals to sell their product e.g. at home parties and whatnot. I think Instagram is popular these days too. Often the sellers have to buy the inventory from the company and when they make a sale, they get the cost of the product back plus a percentage (commission) from the surplus. They also get money for recruiting new sellers, as well as a commission off their sales. The recruited sellers are their "downline".

Personally I can't say I know a boatload of stuff about MLMs, and that's why I wanted to start this thread, but so far I've been sceptic about how ethical that type of business model really is. I get that everyone are responsible for their own financial decisions, but a lot of MLM-sellers don't make a good living at all and even go into debt. They recruit friends and family to become their downline and they also risk going into debt... Like, is it really ethical to provide the venue where people have a very real risk of going into debt?

A special note on Lilla Rose - I tried to research it a bit and couldn't really find any negative experiences with it. If they are out there I'd love to know, BUT, so far they seem like the most ethical of MLMs I've come across.

List of a few hair MLMs:

Avon - general beauty incl. hair
    Body Shop - has an MLM-side to the company
    Lilla Rose - hair toys
    Monat - very pricy hair products
    Oriflame - general beauty incl. hair
    Yves Rocher - MLM-side in some countries
    HerbaLife
    MaryKay

Let me know if you have any more!
    Last edited by Siv; March 18th, 2021 at 02:52 AM.
    ᛃ 2008: 33cm/13" ᛃ 2015: 41cm/16" 2021: 104cm/42"
    instagrampre-poocwc wccpuppy

Length
    bsl/mbl/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/iii

Default Re: Multi-Level Marketing / MLM brands

Just my humble (HA!) opinion. MLMs are legal pyramid schemes. And they seem to prey upon folks who lack the wherewithal to see how these types of businesses work and only see a free lunch, which we all know doesn't exist. Only a very few really profit from MLMs. And the products are usually higher priced than comparable available products. And there's ALWAYS a comparable product, always.

Don't throw things at me please ...

Length
    26/Knee+/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

I tend to be highly skeptical of MLM (I’ve seen an uncomfortable amount of community conflict stemming from them), and was taken aback to find out about Lilla Rose. It put me off of buying from them, honestly, though I went through with the first purchase because it was for a swap.

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Someone once tried to involve me in being a Forever Living rep, from a ‘health’ perspective with my physio work. Thought about it. For a nanosecond. Nope!
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

I have a friend who is very, very against these. I think she has had too many friends lose a ton of money on them. Just nope.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by GordonMurphella View Post
    Just my humble (HA!) opinion. MLMs are legal pyramid schemes. And they seem to prey upon folks who lack the wherewithal to see how these types of businesses work and only see a free lunch, which we all know doesn't exist. Only a very few really profit from MLMs. And the products are usually higher priced than comparable available products. And there's ALWAYS a comparable product, always.

Don't throw things at me please ...
    This. In some places they are actually illegal.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I remember that "Monat" craze that went through YT. And I watched some of my (up to that point) favorite older YTers absolutely sink into that hole (like LisaLisaD1, and Tammy's Ageless Beauty, and she's a cosmetologist). I don't know the situation now, but they were so heavily into it that the first one mentioned had her own page on the site, to sell the stuff. She got some flack for it.

I watch a lot of YT, and have favorites in all age-ranges and budgets and watch all kinds of different content. I watch, drs, family doctors, derms, gynos, podiatrists, even chiropodists, family channels (large families), dog grooming (Rover's, so nice!), natural hair channels, etc. etc. etc.

I don't get *how* you can claim that the products are better, etc. ... well, you guys know the whole Spiel by now.

I'm glad it got mentioned, because finally I can say something about it, and about how detrimental it is to fall prey to something like this.

If you are offered products of an MLM, just know.... do not do it! And for sure don't start selling for them! Just don't get involved. Period.

I wanted to say something earlier today, but I had no clue we were allowed to talk on this here.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    13/27.5/40
    Type
    1c/F/ii

My parents dabbled in a couple MLMs when I was growing up. Fortunately they saw sense before anything too bad happened, and I now know to avoid them. The unfortunate thing is, some of the products were actually really good and I haven't been able to find alternatives I like.

Length
    Pixie/SL/WL?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I live in an area that seems to be just absolutely drenched in MLM nonsense, so I have a strongly negative reaction to MLMs and things that I associate with them, fairly or unfairly (essential oils for example). I was pretty surprised to find out about Lila Rose.

From what I understand of Monat that’s the one you REALLY want to avoid, there’s so many horror stories about people having bad reactions to it and I think there may be/have been a lawsuit or two about it?

Generally speaking MLMs are a very predatory business model that are barely distinct from pyramid schemes. I try not to support them when I can.

hair-brained
    Length
    pixi/butt/butt+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I wanted to say something earlier today, but I had no clue we were allowed to talk on this here.
    I haven't been told otherwise by any mod yet so I hope it's okay

I have been leery of mentioning anything before because Lilla Rose has quite a big following here, and considering I'm against MLMs for ethical reasons... Well, it's easy to step on someone's toes. Also, I'm happy to change my mind if I learn more on a topic, but I also hate getting told "I told you so", so actually putting my own opinions out there is a bit daunting sometimes...

That being said! I found this on the r/antiMLM subreddit:

I actually know the owner of Lilla Rose. Most down to earth guy ever. He started by making the clips himself and only sold at trade shows. He still makes some of the clips by hand himself (design might be painfully obvious because he's a dude) but he works in his warehouse just like everyone else; answers phones, works in shipping. I heard their core staff is like, 8 people. Still super small but yeah, they are an MLM.

Personally I think some of the clips are pretty old-looking, but still kinda neat for the design concept. I think what should really determine if a company truly is an MLM, is if the products can be sold without the whole "zombie-minion-come-by-all-the-things-at-my-party" sales tactic. If someone bought their products and sold them at a craft booth, they'd do pretty well for themselves.
    I found it a bit funny that they're basically getting good reviews even on the antiMLM forum and the most negative critique is that they're pricy lol
    ᛃ 2008: 33cm/13" ᛃ 2015: 41cm/16" 2021: 104cm/42"
    instagrampre-poocwc wccpuppy