Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Multi-Level Marketing / MLM brands

Length
    APL/37/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Multi-Level Marketing / MLM brands

Concerning Lilla Rose, I'm undecided. I'm still waiting for my first order and I don't know yet what to make of their system. I ordered via their homepage and I didn't have a stylist assigned to me. That was fine with me. All other flexis I've bought second hand, partly because I always felt ordering over a third person unnecessarily complicated. Also, if I understand correctly, stylists can organize sold out flexis for you? That seems somewhat unfair to me, because I think all customer should have equal chances to obtain a product.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Speaking of Avon, my mom was gifted a bottle of Avon hand lotion when I was a kid. The bottle always fascinated me. It was glass, shaped and colored like a corn cob. A few years ago I found an identical bottle in a vintage store and the pump still works! I fill it with a random unscented lotion.

Does anyone know if Skin So Soft is still a mosquito repellent?

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I think there is a company "like" Avon here in Belgium, as I never saw Avon here, but I did see Mylène here. I still remember the dry shampoo (regular spray bottle) from that company that my grandma on dad's side bought me when I went through puberty and obviously needed it. But anyway, I think they operate about the same way.

And that my aunt worked at the mail-order place (Quelle) and brought us our order was just convenience, it has nothing to do with peddling wares from friends and family to you. We wanted to have it mailed to us, of course, but since she worked there, she could bring it and we then did not have to pay for shipping. Just wanted to clarify that bit!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL+
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Yves Rocher only exist in Italy for like 10-12 years now. But for the first years physical stores were way more popular and I still find them more comfortable.
    However I don't appreciate that the brand claims itself as green, full of natural ingredients when it isn't. I'm not someone who only use natural/organic stuff, at all, but I dislike this thing.
    Last edited by Bri-Chan; March 4th, 2021 at 12:50 PM.
    Next Goal: TBL. Final Goal: CL+.
    26/07/2019 last bleach - 11/10/2019 last dye

Length
    chin/hip/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    "*Ding dong* Avon calling"

Interesting little bit of its history here https://serenitykitchen.com/ding-dong-avons-calling/

Totally agree about EO companies. They're not really a thing over here as far as I know, but what little I've seen of them ('oily mamas' on Instagram) ... yeesh
    FASCINATING

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    Speaking of Avon, my mom was gifted a bottle of Avon hand lotion when I was a kid. The bottle always fascinated me. It was glass, shaped and colored like a corn cob. A few years ago I found an identical bottle in a vintage store and the pump still works! I fill it with a random unscented lotion.

Does anyone know if Skin So Soft is still a mosquito repellent?
    Ahh, nostalgia – as a kid, we used Skin So Soft as a mosquito repellent and it was so good.
    artist, lover, general mystic; maker of many things
    current length: hip / current goal: tbl

Length
    29"/34/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    I haven't been told otherwise by any mod yet so I hope it's okay

I have been leery of mentioning anything before because Lilla Rose has quite a big following here, and considering I'm against MLMs for ethical reasons... Well, it's easy to step on someone's toes. Also, I'm happy to change my mind if I learn more on a topic, but I also hate getting told "I told you so", so actually putting my own opinions out there is a bit daunting sometimes...

That being said! I found this on the r/antiMLM subreddit:

I found it a bit funny that they're basically getting good reviews even on the antiMLM forum and the most negative critique is that they're pricy lol
    Quote Originally Posted by kimgeas View Post
    No ****, I didn't realize lilla rose is a MLM until...well basically until now. I thought they were established small business (hence the price). I must admit when I found out their designs are not 100% original (saw the same charm on esty and realised it's premade charm) I feel a bit weird. I look up on reddit and not sure I'm comfortable buying from them (again). I think I'll stick to esty shops that sell true hand made hair toys just for now.
    I had the same realization a little while ago and it made me super sad. Flexi-8 was a normal small business until it got bought out in 2008(?). The prices have gone up and the quality control has gone down since then. Still, the products are decent but I hate that they have an MLM model. I haven't bought one since I learned about the MLM aspect. I don't know if I"ll buy any in the future. If I do, it definitely will be through the site and not a rep. But, like you, I hate to support the MLM model in any way. Even if they aren't as actively predatory, they still aren't good.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    BSL/CL/?
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I don't see Herbalife mentioned They have hair products too.

(and I would totally add MaryKay to the list too, that is definitely MLM)

Length
    17,5/25,8/?
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I'm sure it wasn't purpose of this thread, but Avon was a new brand for me and I got curious and then I saw Notino had their products and they were very cheap so you can guess what happened...
    I have heard the mermaids singing... and I do think that they will sing to me...

Don't miss the LHC Book Club!

Length
    ~20"/55"/55"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I had heard good things about Lila Rose on here and was considering buying some. Then I ran into a sales rep at a flea market. It should have been amazing, a chance to handle and try on this product in person instead of buying it sight unseen off the internet. Instead, it was so obviously a MLM. This poor lady had so much product, that she probably had spent hundred if not thousands on, and it just wasn't selling. She seemed kind of desperate and I felt so sorry for her. I almost bought something out of pity, but there wasn't anything I really liked and I was short on money at the time.

That's the predatory part of an MLM-the reps have to buy the product before they can sell it. Then it never sells, of course. That women must have had dozens or hundreds of hair toys. Even if she only paid half price for them, how much money is that? Especially for a person who was likely in need of money, if the extra income appealed to her. There was no way she could make her money back. Nobody was buying.

I looked up Lila Rose as soon as I got home and was dismayed to find that, yes, it was an MLM. It felt kind of horrid, actually, to discover that something with such a great rep on here was so sordid and unethical.

So no, I will never buy Lila Rose. I met that lady, I've seen what MLMs do to my own friends. Not something I could ever put money into, even buying directly off the website.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

The essential oil companies are the worst and I get hit up by reps for them all the freaking time. There is no ~ aromatherapy grade~ or ~ therapeutic grade ~ for essential oils. These are just trademarked terms by various MLM companies. Because they are trademarked terms, no other company can use them, making the one company that holds the trademark sound like they have something special of superior grade, and they do not.

It's just like with prescription pet food. There's nothing "prescription" about them, but Hills Science Diet trademarked the term "prescription diet" so now no other petfood company can use it--the food is horrible, but they can slap that label on it, make it so it's only sold through vets (who make money hand over fist on the stuff), and make it seem both of higher quality and exclusive when it is neither.