Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Multi-Level Marketing / MLM brands

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Multi-Level Marketing / MLM brands

Mod note:

Nothing wrong with discussing the pros and cons, sellers need to follow the LHC seller guidelines.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Type
    1c/M/C/ii

No ****, I didn't realize lilla rose is a MLM until...well basically until now. I thought they were established small business (hence the price). I must admit when I found out their designs are not 100% original (saw the same charm on esty and realised it's premade charm) I feel a bit weird. I look up on reddit and not sure I'm comfortable buying from them (again). I think I'll stick to esty shops that sell true hand made hair toys just for now.

Length
    Pixie/Chin/WL?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I only found out about Lila Rose when I looked it up after hearing about it on this forum. It had some language on the website that triggered alarm bells in my head (stuff about hosting a party) and wouldn’t you know it...

It seems like people here really like the clips, so maybe this is one of those “stopped clock” situations where it’s not as bad as the average MLM. I’m not comfortable buying direct from them either way sadly.

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

I feel like I should clarify; I don't think MLM brands automatically create bad products; I just don't think the business model is socially desirable. I've seen product-selling competition sour relationships and have seen people cash in on familial, friendly, and faith-based relationships in a way that makes me uncomfortable. I also don't enjoy the level of devotion and loyalty to company that being a seller seems to require.

However, products can still be high quality. Tupperware comes to mind. As for Lilla Rose, I've used two of their flexis and find them to be durable, quality products that are visually attractive. I appreciate the attached stick design. The one I bought came straight from the company and not a second party seller, which I don't think hurts anyone. (I didn't like signing up to be one of their people, though--I just want to buy a product, not become a representative).

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I don't have any experience with hair care related MLMs. A while back a friend of mine got into an MLM, though. I forgot the name, but they basically sold overprizes and overdosed vitamines that were supposed "to cleanse your body" or something similar, so naturally they advertised strong hair as well. They had an entire almost sect like ideology to go with it. They also had a huge annual happening/convention where a lot of the sellers met. My friend was somewhat dissatisfied with her job at the time and it was suggested to her that she would be able to gain more freedom / spare time by making money off selling their products. Gradually all our meetings turned into sales pitches and it got more and more annoying to tell her off. The highlight was a birthday party I was invited to that turned out to be not much more than a sales event. At the party there were people higher up the food chain who could already live off their earnings (and that of their underlings) and they were constantly asking me if I was satisfied with my job, if I wouldn't want for more spare time, all the time fishing for problems or issues I had with my life. I was so freaked out by that, I said my part and kept my distance from then on.

It was very dissapointing on a personal level to be downgraded from friend to possible buyer. And I'm trained in communication a bit, so of course I recognize manipulation techniques. But it's especially hurtful when it comes from a supposed friend.

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GordonMurphella View Post
    Just my humble (HA!) opinion. MLMs are legal pyramid schemes. And they seem to prey upon folks who lack the wherewithal to see how these types of businesses work and only see a free lunch, which we all know doesn't exist. Only a very few really profit from MLMs. And the products are usually higher priced than comparable available products. And there's ALWAYS a comparable product, always.

Don't throw things at me please ...
    I totally agree with you. They are really problematic and predatory. I find that people who are in them also change and become awful. I had family in Monat right now and they turn every interaction into a sale's pitch.

I was so angry when I found out that the Flexi-8s (Lila Rose) were now a MLM. I'm really hesitant to support them now even though you can still buy directly from their website.

I recommend https://www.facebook.com/SLMLMbutoka...mwwdke2UFLdjtE as a good starting point.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    SL/?/?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I've never bought an MLM product but even if it was absolutely amazing I would not buy one. It's pretty impossible to make a living off just selling the products unless you are pretty god damn popular. Most people get their money from having a downline, a.k.a recruiting people to sell the products. It is a very slimy business model which preys on vulnerable people, especially house wife or army spouses and lands them in tons of debt. All round a disgusting sales practice.
    ☼ Cut bleach out to CBL 08/22

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I have flexi8s from back in the day, pre LR. After the site changed, and I got enough designs (nice, sober ones, like the eternal knot) and sizes, I quit buying them. I'm glad I did, because it can be a wild ride these days. And that's all I'm going to say, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings on the matter as this in particular might be sensitive.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I ... hm. I have mixed feelings. Generally MLM = bad, especially when people have to push to recruit others to be able to break even, let alone make any money. But Lilla Rose - from what I know - seems to be somewhat of an exception. I know members on here have had fantastic customer service from reps (stylists) and the owner himself.

Avon, my Mum did for a few years to make a bit of extra money and the only reason she stopped was because the demand fizzled out when customers in her area gradually stopped buying and it became unviable (any commission she made with just a few customers was spent on the petrol to get to the customers). She had to buy the brochures herself but I think that's all she was obligated to do, samples were optional and she got access to some lower rates on things that were really useful. She never had to recruit anyone.

I was not aware Tupperware were an MLM, though I do recall the concept of Tupperware parties That is good stuff though, we're still using the same two microwave bowls and various containers from my childhood

I can't buy from Lilla Rose any more without incurring ridiculous customs charges, but if there is a sinister side to it I genuinely would very much like to know so as not to recommend to others who are still able and willing to buy.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    HL/BCL/IDK
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Yves Rocher I think. I mean, it works as Avon but it also has some stores.
    I tried a lot of product by this brand and I liked (almost) all of them, so my opinion is positive. However, I don't like the "pression" around this brands.