Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olive oil for hair?

Length
    Chin/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Olive oil for hair?

I've been thinking about using olive oil for my hair, especially my dry ends. Does anyone do this? Is it as good as other types of oils? Should I just put in a few drops every day or so or would it be better to put a lot of it and then wash it off? Also sorry if I'm not allowed to post this, I haven't been on here much.

Length
    13/45/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Olive oil for hair?

Yep, I prefer to use either olive or sweet almond oil on my hair. You can apply it however you like, I suggest experimenting to see what works best for you. Using it as a pre-poo treatment makes my hair very soft, and using a drop on the ends every day helps prevent splits. Some people really like using a few drops on damp hair after washing.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I would just put a couple drops (spread through palms and then applied to the ends) after washing, and then none the rest of the time, until you wash again. Hair doesn't need to be oiled every day, it can build up on itself, and turn oily quite fast!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    18"/33"/45"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

When I want some me-time, I have a mini spa moment by warming up some EVOO and putting it in my ends, and throwing on a shower cap. Personally, I turn on a movie and let it sit before washing it out, but some will leave the oil overnight, some will only have it in twenty minutes, so you do you. My hair feels softer and is more manageable afterward.
    Thinking Long Hair Thoughts

Length
    waist/TB/long

I don't like olive oil on my hair as it has a noticeable smell which I don't care for.

I think you should try different methods and see what works best for you! As it has been suggested above, try: Putting some as a pre-poo for a couple of hours before washing, using it as a rinse-out oil (link is in lapushka's signature), putting a bit after washing and leaving it until next wash, and also using a couple of drops every day.

Try one at a time and see what works best for you! A lot of people use olive oil and I think it's one of the best to start with as most people have it at hand in their own homes so you don't need to buy extra oils

Personally I haven't tried olive oil as I don't consume it, but it seems like my hair likes oil used as a pre-poo or when I use a couple of drops daily regardless of the oil I'm using.

Curly:
    Buzz~NL~SL~APL~BSL~WL
    Buzz | NL | SL | APL | BSL | WL | HL| TBL | Classic

Length
    Chin/MBL/MTL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I used to oil my hair (more like drenching it in oil) before washing it, but even after 2 washes I would still find oil patches and oily strands (same with coconut oil), so I just figured that since I didn't feel that much of a difference and it was hard to get it out (probably because I was using so much of it), I would only use a tiny bit of oil on my ends morning and night. I think you have to try a few different oils or methods like CuteCrow said and see which ones suit you best! Personally I love argan oil for the tips, especially during the winter time.
    CL-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-CL-MTL...

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/WL/Hip+
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

It depends on your hair type I think, olive oil is way to heavy for my hair, but some people swear by it. I would suggest starting out with a small amount and then going to more. As someone mentioned, it can be hard to wash out.

Length
    Shave/Mid t/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

I use olive oil on my hair and really like it, it gives my hair plenty of slip if I use it before a wash.

Length
    Chin/MBL/FTL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Sorry if this derails the thread a bit, but do any of you notice a difference in using regular olive oil versus extra virgin? I have both on hand for cooking and I'd like to see if my hair likes it.