Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January 2021: Dianyla Braid

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default January 2021: Dianyla Braid

Dianyla braid - a sectioned English Braid

Create the front section by using finger or tool (hair sticks are great) across your head from left to right: ear to ear, temple to temple, across the top of your head. The second and third sections are the remainder sectioned straight down the middle to nape. Braid as usual.

This braid creates a slightly different appearance from the front (that first deliberate section) and some with thick hair find it to be more comfortable than three random sections.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: January 2021: Dianyla Braid

Here is one I did quite a few years ago

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

That looks really nice! Sadly far too complicated for me, I can only do a basic English braid

Length
    pixie/MTL/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

I used to do this one a lot when my hair was a good deal shorter, and I always liked the look of the Dianyla.

Length
    APL/FTL+/FTL?
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    That looks really nice! Sadly far too complicated for me, I can only do a basic English braid
    Don't fret! This is a basic English braid, it just uses deliberately-created sections to start, instead of randomly-separated thirds. Lots of words for a very minor (yet much larger looking) change.

Edit to add: For my part, I've tried this method of sectioning a couple times in the past, because it sounds like it would work better, and I like how it looks, but it pulls in all kinds of awkward places for me. So, I stick with my own equally-deliberate sectioning instead. Basically, pie pieces, where the nape/back of head narrows towards the middle of my head as the third section, and the front/sides/top of my head are split in half as if making a center part (but not actually parting it) for the first two sections. I've been doing English braids that way for as long as I can remember. It's also the sectioning I've found that best emulates a high ponytail placement, which is where the weight sits best for me.
    Last edited by SparrowWings; January 1st, 2021 at 08:38 PM.

Darn hair dressers and their misplaced bra straps... Looks like it'll be longer between hair cuts this time, with an extra 6 inches to regrow!
    <APL ~APL~BSL~MBL~WL~HL~TBL~Classic~ FTL ~ Knee???

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SparrowWings View Post
    Don't fret! This is a basic English braid, it just uses deliberately-created sections to start, instead of randomly-separated thirds. Lots of words for a very minor (yet much larger looking) change.

Edit to add: For my part, I've tried this method of sectioning a couple times in the past, because it sounds like it would work better, and I like how it looks, but it pulls in all kinds of awkward places for me. So, I stick with my own equally-deliberate sectioning instead. Basically, pie pieces, where the nape/back of head narrows towards the middle of my head as the third section, and the front/sides/top of my head are split in half as if making a center part (but not actually parting it) for the first two sections. I've been doing English braids that way for as long as I can remember. It's also the sectioning I've found that best emulates a high ponytail placement, which is where the weight sits best for me.
    Thanks for that explanation SparrowWings. I understand the pie pieces! Embarrassingly I can’t master any plait where it starts on the head itself (Dutch, French and even half up braids are all beyond me). The sectioning is messy, I lose the thread of what goes where and I run out of hands. My limits are a basic English, milkmaid or a plait that starts out as a pony tail!

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SparrowWings View Post

This is how I've done English braids for over a decade and I was sure this WAS the Dianyla braid

On my hair I don't like how this looks as well as gathering all my hair at the nape and sectioning it into three equal pieces, so I tend to do the latter for everyday wear and the higher, more carefully-sectioned form for sleep and exercise.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    Pixie/SL/WL?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Oh hey, this is one I can kind of do!

https://imgur.com/La4tMtk

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SelenVinland View Post
    Oh hey, this is one I can kind of do!

https://imgur.com/La4tMtk
    That looks really neat!

Type
    2a/M/iii

Haha I've been thinking of this as the "COVID" braid, because I started doing it at the beginning of the pandemic because it was nice to not part my hair all the time and who cares about my appearance anymore
    Good to know it has another name! I like it because it makes the sectioning so easy - almost automatically the right size every time!