Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Choose Your Own Hair Adventure!

Length
    BSL/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Choose Your Own Hair Adventure!

I discovered when I first started growing my hair that the normal elastic hair ties cause breakage for me so I started trying to quit them. It took a while because I used to use them every day and I had to find alternatives, but now I havenít used an elastic hair tie, not even for the end of a braid, in like ... 2 months? I made my own soft fabric ties by cutting up old pantyhose and my hair is long enough and heavy enough now for my buns and updos to hold firmly with just pins or a stick.

Small thing- but Iím proud of it and lately Iíve noticed much less breakage and hair coming out when I take it down.

Length
    12/32ish/Thigh
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Handel'sWig View Post
    I discovered when I first started growing my hair that the normal elastic hair ties cause breakage for me so I started trying to quit them. It took a while because I used to use them every day and I had to find alternatives, but now I haven’t used an elastic hair tie, not even for the end of a braid, in like ... 2 months? I made my own soft fabric ties by cutting up old pantyhose and my hair is long enough and heavy enough now for my buns and updos to hold firmly with just pins or a stick.

Small thing- but I’m proud of it and lately I’ve noticed much less breakage and hair coming out when I take it down.
    I got rid of my elastic hair ties too! Even scrunchies break my hair. I've heard of the pantyhose trick before and I may have to give it a shot.
    Finally at waist! Now for the journey to TBL and beyond.

Length
    BSL/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebore View Post
    I got rid of my elastic hair ties too! Even scrunchies break my hair. I've heard of the pantyhose trick before and I may have to give it a shot.
    Yep! I have scrunchies and they break my hair a little less than elastic hair ties but not much. I think most scrunchies have elastic in them so they arenít elastic free. Highly recommend pantyhose ties! They are the only thing that slides out of my hair gently without breaking it and they are super soft and comfortable. I use them every time I wear a braid or just want to quickly tie my hair in a ponytail. I took 2 pair of hose that had runs and cut the feet off, then cut the legs into about 1/2Ē wide bands. It made a bunch of ties and now Iím set!

Length
    12/SL/Floor

Activating almost shoulder to CBL journey force myself to stop looking at my hair everyday lol

some out of the way corner of the universe
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I discovered when I first started growing my hair that the normal elastic hair ties cause breakage for me so I started trying to quit them. It took a while because I used to use them every day and I had to find alternatives, but now I haven’t used an elastic hair tie, not even for the end of a braid, in like ... 2 months? I made my own soft fabric ties by cutting up old pantyhose and my hair is long enough and heavy enough now for my buns and updos to hold firmly with just pins or a stick.

Small thing- but I’m proud of it and lately I’ve noticed much less breakage and hair coming out when I take it down.
    Thanks for the tip, I must try this!
    CL/SL/APL/BSL/WL
    123456 months since trimming

Length
    APL/BSL/Clsc?

My hair has always been prone to splits, but in the past I never had a great hair routine. I never dyed it until 2019 but I was pretty rough with it, daily washing with harsh shampoo and ripping a brush through it wet while blowdrying on high... so now I have pretty good hair care practices but so many splits still! Old damage is old damage. I hope that when the old dye is gone the splits will decrease. Of course, at the current microtrim rate of 1/4 inch every 3 months that will take me about 15 years... I think my revised plan is to keep growing with the microtrims until growth seems to stall and then maintain there for a while and cut through this old damage!

Length
    13/27.5/40
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I've been thinking about quitting hair ties for a while, maybe I should do it! I only use them to hold the ends of braids, and I think ribbon will work just as well for that. Maybe better, considering my elastic fell out today.

Length
    12/SL/Floor

I have one of those telephone cord hair ties, my hair is still too short to use them but it has good grip

Length
    APL/BSL/Clsc?

I’ve never used a telephone cord elastic. I have a couple silk lined elastics, small scrunchies. I don’t usually notice breakage on them but once in a while. I think I found them on ebay for about $5 each. But the elastic on the inside is starting to wear out. I might try the pantyhose idea, I think I have some old ones kicking around that Could get sliced up. That’s a good idea!

Length
    12/SL/Floor

Panty hose stretches out to much for my liking so you have to wrap it around your ponytail quite a bit