Thread: Hello from Germany

Default Hello from Germany

Hello to everybody and thank you for letting me join this community. I am 61 years old and am very proud of my long hair (about 41 inches). I have not filled in all the fields concering hair type, because I have no clue, what those cryptic letters mean. But I am sure, I will find out, now that I am able to read in the forum.

My main reason for coming here is my colour problem. I always had a little red tint in my brown hair, which I enhanced with a little help from henna. Lately that became really difficult, so I changed to box dyes and I am not unhappy with the results. BUT.. there is always a but, isn't there? For the past 6 or 7 years, my hair started to turn grey and of course I just covered that up. But I am wondering if there is a way, to stop using hair colour - or a different way to colour the hair, which will let the coloured parts grow out, without looking horrible.

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Hello from Germany

Welcome to the forum If you look at the stickies on the main forum there’s info on hairtyping.. it’s useful to know what yours is. There’s threads about dyeing, covering grey or embracing it (Salt and Pepper thread).
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

You can ask your hairdresser to color it gray, but that is *major* and I would not recommend it unless you are near to full gray. Otherwise the upkeep on that will be a hassle. Especially in these Covid times, even getting to a salon can be problematic.

We have the Salt & Pepper thread, for those wanting to grow their gray out.

And we have a few stickies (Ursula's newbie advice) that will help you out with the cryptic letters and with how to hairtype and such.

If you need more help, give us a peep!

Welcome!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Welcome to the forum! I gradually transitioned from dye to natural uncoloured hair by gradually reducing the time I allowed the dye to remain in my hair before rinsing it out. It took a couple of years, but eventually the dye blended nicely into my natural colour and there isn't really a visible line between dyed and non dyed hair. It worked well for me. Currently, the bottom half of my hair still has dye but it's not so easy to see that it's there.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Welcome to LHC!

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Welcome!

Length
    Shave/Mid t/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Hi and welcome

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome! Here you can read about hair typing https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=116252

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Howdy, nice to meet you! Your hair sounds lovely.

Others have already pointed you towards helpful threads. Whether you want to keep your reddish hair or go all grey, I am certain it will turn out looking lovely. I actually really enjoy the blended looks that some of our users have while growing out dye/henna!

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Aaaaah, double post! This has literally never happened to me before, and now three times in the same day. *headdesk* Perhaps our internet is super-choppy, or the server is super-sleepy.
    Last edited by shelomit; April 7th, 2021 at 04:19 PM.