Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering chopping back to shoulder

Type
    3b/M/C/ii

Default Seriously considering chopping back to shoulder

There's something wrong with my left hand. I'm not sure what exactly (the ER doc said carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve contusion, but I'm not convinced; I have an appointment with my doctor later this week). It's been going on for weeks now. There's no pain, but the fingers have lost a lot of dexterity and most of their grip strength. Washing my hair is difficult, and I can barely put it in an english braid. Buns aren't much better. I'm sure part of the issue is that I've been trimming my hair into a long v shape, but the rest is my fingers not doing what I need them to do. My hair isn't that long now (only about apl), but I feel like shorter would be easier to care for. That brings up another issue: can I still cut my own hair with only one fully functional hand? I literally have nobody else to help with my mom rehabbing a broken leg in a nursing facility, so if not my only option would be going to a salon. I have no problem with salons, but gambling on contracting a deadly virus for a hair cut is not something I want to do. Not after quarantining myself for an entire year.

I don't even know why I'm posting this, except I have no one to talk to about it. I guess it's lucky that I'm no longer interested in growing my hair super long, and just focus on taking the best care of it I can. I can't imagine how much worse I'd feel if it was still at tailbone length and I was going through this.
    Enjoying shorter hair for now.

Length
    chin/hip/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Seriously considering chopping back to shoulder

Iím so sorry youíre going through this! To my mind, if you can comb it out while your hand is recovering, your hair will be fine without a trim for the foreseeable future. It may not be ideal but if it will make you more sad to cut it than to just let it roam free while youíre recovering then... thatís what I would do. My best wishes for a speedy recovery. 💙

Length
    1"/33"/42"
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

I'm really sorry to hear what you are going through and hoping that you get good news from your doctor.

I’m sorry, that’s such a difficult thing to go through. I hope you get some answers and a plan of action soon.

Things might be a bit clearer in a few weeks, maybe you’ll have an idea about when you’ll get a vaccine, and when your mum will be home (and I hope your mum recovers soon). Does your hair get in the way too much to wear down in the meantime?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I am so sorry to hear that. Hope they get to the bottom of the health issues, that is the most important part! Keep us posted if you want.

I do have to say your length now is an awkward length, and going shorter is going to make it even harder to take care of (unless you shave it).

For me either a shave or very long hair is easiest to deal with, that is gonna be different for everybody.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/Hip/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

I’m so sorry. Big big hugs for you. I’m so glad you’re not too sad about growing long now but I’m very sorry for your troubles. I hope things improve for you soon.
    Wobbly are the walls ofmy mind. ~ Hip onward to tailbone and beyond~ No trimming 2021 from 8th February 2021 ~ My hair type is Asian.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I'd get a treatment plan for your hand first. This may be very temporary. I remember one year I had my BSL hair cut short because it had been oppressively hot for days, and even pinned up, my hair felt too hot and heavy. 2-3 days after I got it cut, we had a thunderstorm, and that marked the end of the oppressive heat. I was so mad at myself!

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

So sorry for you and your mom, I hope your hand and her leg can heal fast!
    The haircut for some reason doesn't sound like a good idea, unless you cut it really short (which requires frequent trims and much upkeep) you'd have to tie it anyway...
    If you have a gentle detangling brush like the Tangle Teezer or the Wetbrush, maybe even just a ponytail May be enough for few weeks.
    Would a snood or some kind of turban/headcover work for you? Some are lined in silk and super gentle.
    Pixie! - Shingle - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder...

Length
    BSL/calf/floor
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

That's so tough. Would cutting with electric clippers be at all easier? I may be off since I've never tried it, just imagining what could be feasible with one hand, though probably still difficult. Hugs to you!

ETA: just found this video. to me it looks like she's pretty skilled and precise with it so I don't know how practical this really is

Type
    3b/M/C/ii

Thanks for all the kind words. For me shoulder is a pretty easy length because I can still get it in at least a ponytail. My hair now isn't really in the way if I wear it loose, but it tangles so easily it would be a constant battle to keep it from turning into a matted rat's nest. Unless I straighten it, which comes with its own problems.

I'm not upset about going shorter per se; it's more annoyance that I'm doing it out of necessity, instead of because I just wanted to go shorter like when I had it cut into a long bob a couple years ago. I do think I'll wait until after my appointment to decide, though; always better to have more information.

Sorry if I don't respond as often as I should; the ER doc recommended wearing braces, and it's hard for me to type with them (even though they specifically say they allow for typing with carpal tunnel ).
    Enjoying shorter hair for now.