Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

Hi everyone! I've read quite a few posts on the Long Hair Community forum, but only recently become frustrated enough with my own hair to start posting. I grew out my hair from a bob with bangs with I was 7, and it's been long ever since. It's only now, in my 20s, that I've started to be cognizant of the frequency and amazing depth of my split ends, and it's driving me nuts.

I found it difficult to choose a hair type during registration, because as far as I can tell my hair is a combination of types that aren't adjacent: seemingly 1b/2b. The most common advice I got from people with hair like mine, especially my mother, has been to avoid washing my hair as much as possible. It didn't fit my old lifestyle of swimming every other day, and I find that even after being unable to swim for a year (thanks, COVID!) I cannot go more than 2 days without washing my hair because my scalp hurts. I've tried anti-malassezia shampoo (Nizoral) but while it does decrease my scalp pain, it also dries out my hair. I hope I can learn the ropes of this community soon because I really only know about hair on an anatomical level!

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Hello!

Hi! Welcome to the forum
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Hello and welcome Maybe check out the stretching washes thread if you do a search as over washing might not be helping an irritable scalp?
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

There is also a thread for SD (seborrheic dermatitis) aka a case of "bad dandruff". I have it too, for which I use Nizoral 2%. But, I have found that if I wash (I was weekly now that my scalp has normalized) with a harsher sulfate shampoo, say Herbal Essences, or Pantene, or Head & Shoulders that it stays away for longer. The key though with shampoos like H&S and Nizoral is to suds up and then let it sit on your hair, for H&S a couple minutes, for Nizoral 5 to 10 depending on how bad it is. Letting it sit is the most major *key* to resolving your issues. After letting it sit, you suds some more, wash with it (same suds) and then rinse well.

Shampoo, sorry, but, it is meant to wash / dry out the hair (root especially) a little bit. Conditioner and masks are the things that need to moisturize; bit of a pet peeve of mine.

In any case, lots to talk about. And very much a warm welcome to this forum.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Welcome!

I will crawl out from your screen

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    ?/??/???
    Type
    3b/3c/M/i/ii

Hi, I'm new here!!! How do you make a post?

@valeriamorales, click the "Post New Thread" button (it may blend into the background of the page" above the phrase "Forum: NEW? START HERE!" on the forum page. That's how you do it on every forum on this site.

I don't think I should make a new thread (but do counsel me otherwise), so here are my hair pictures! I don't have large facing mirrors, so one is a bad photo of my back and one is a more detailed photo where I'm leaning to the side. I've set these links to autoclear in a month, at which point I hope to have permission to directly upload images.

Hmm, I'm new to this hosting site. Perhaps I can't embed images yet?

There we go! Sorry for the double/triple-post. I washed my hair with Nizoral today (I alternate with a shampoo bar), conditioned with Aussie 3 Minute Miracle, detangled as much as I could in the shower, and let it all air dry while shaking my head every so often to keep it from plastering to my scalp.

Length
    BSL/calf/floor
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Welcome!