View Poll Results: Choose what applies to you

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • My hair grows fast, and my mother had me at 29 or younger

9 11.25%
  • My hair grows fast, and my mother had me at 30 or older

26 32.50%
  • My hair grows slowly or at average speed, and my mother had me at 29 or younger

25 31.25%
  • My hair grows slowly or at average speed, and my mother had me at 30 or older

20 25.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair growth speed and age of mother during birthing

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Hair growth speed and age of mother during birthing

Fast growth = More than approximately 0.5 in or 1.25 cm per month. If inconsistent, consider yearly gains.

If you have children of your own, it would also be of great interest to me what age you had them at.

I study Evolutionary Psychology and Biology as minors in university and happened to come up with a certain hypothesis, which is what I am trying to investigate here! Thank you!
    Last edited by Ylva; February 16th, 2021 at 08:28 AM.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    Bald/APL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Hair growth speed and age of mother during birthing

My mom was mid 20's when she had me. My yearly growth is just a smidge over 9" a year.

I had both of my kids young (under 23) and their hair (for what it's worth) grows like weeds, though I've never measured it as teenagers don't care about such things
    08.1.2020-Bald
    “Her messy hair is a visible attribute of her stubborn spirit. As she shakes it free, she smiles knowing wild is her favorite color” (J. Iron Word)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Well I can't answer this poll. I am having trouble picking the options!

You see, as of last year (when I was transitioning to menopause), now full on menopausal, I started having real fast growth. So much that I have to cut it about every month to couple months instead of seasonal. Before that I had average growth, of like say half an inch a month. Now it's more like an inch a month. I do have a slightly better diet, as I have started upping my vegetable intake (I still eat meat). Maybe it's that. I don't know.

I have always had "oilier" hair, needing 2/3 washes a week (through my teens). As a child, I got weekly hair washes, and now as of my 40s I could weekly wash again.

My mom had me age 26, after 3 years of marriage.

My mom is a slow grower, always has been. Has very dry scalp (wash every 2 months dry), no flakes.

I take after my dad with my scalp, as I have oily/normal scalp with SD (seborrheic dermatitis), and so has he.

HTH!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

My mother was 23 when she had me and I would venture to guess that my hair grows "extremely fast" A slow growth month for me is still over a half inch and it's not unusual for my hair to grow up to 1.5" in a month. Though the hair at the back of my head seems to grow much faster than it does on the sides.

I know that sounds crazy but...

I think it is worth noting that I do have a macroprolactinoma though... So, it could be that my especially fast hair growth is caused by messed up hormones.

I also eat a lot of meat, green vegetables (aka kale), dairy and nutritional yeast so that could contribute as well I guess.
    Last edited by jane_marie; February 16th, 2021 at 09:07 AM.

Length
    Bald/APL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    My mother was 23 when she had me and I would venture to guess that my hair grows "extremely fast" A slow growth month for me is still over a half inch and it's not unusual for my hair to grow up to 1.5" in a month.

I know that sounds crazy but...

I think it is worth noting that I do have a macroprolactinoma though... So, it could be that my especially fast hair growth is caused by messed up hormones.
    An 1.5" a month.....I would give a kidney for that kind of growth. Or at least my spleen. That suckers already damaged, so no great loss
    08.1.2020-Bald
    “Her messy hair is a visible attribute of her stubborn spirit. As she shakes it free, she smiles knowing wild is her favorite color” (J. Iron Word)

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ipickee View Post
    An 1.5" a month.....I would give a kidney for that kind of growth. Or at least my spleen. That suckers already damaged, so no great loss
    No deal. Would you be willing to trade me for a pituitary gland that functions properly?

Practicing Patience veryhairyfairy's Avatar
    Length
    APL/CBL/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

It's been a long time since I measured growth but I'm pretty sure it's the average of 1/2" a month, my mom had me when she was 19. I'd be very interested to hear your hypothesis if you want to share!

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Well I can't answer this poll. I am having trouble picking the options!

You see, as of last year (when I was transitioning to menopause), now full on menopausal, I started having real fast growth. So much that I have to cut it about every month to couple months instead of seasonal. Before that I had average growth, of like say half an inch a month. Now it's more like an inch a month. I do have a slightly better diet, as I have started upping my vegetable intake (I still eat meat). Maybe it's that. I don't know.

I have always had "oilier" hair, needing 2/3 washes a week (through my teens). As a child, I got weekly hair washes, and now as of my 40s I could weekly wash again.

My mom had me age 26, after 3 years of marriage.

My mom is a slow grower, always has been. Has very dry scalp (wash every 2 months dry), no flakes.

I take after my dad with my scalp, as I have oily/normal scalp with SD (seborrheic dermatitis), and so has he.

HTH!
    You could answer based on what you would consider the average of your "reproductive years".

In this poll, I'm not taking anything other than these two factors, hair growth speed and age of mother upon birthing, into consideration. There is a reason for this!

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by veryhairyfairy View Post
    It's been a long time since I measured growth but I'm pretty sure it's the average of 1/2" a month, my mom had me when she was 19. I'd be very interested to hear your hypothesis if you want to share!
    I will explain my hypothesis later. I don't want my explanation to affect anyone's answer.

Length
    13/45/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

My mother was 29 when she had me, and I have a growth rate of about .5 inches per month, though I haven't yet had the chance to measure overall yearly gain so I can't attest to the accuracy of that number. I suspect I may grow a little bit faster than that.
    My mother had my brother when she was 26, and just based on seeing his hair growth over the last couple years I suspect he has a similar growth rate as me, if not a little bit more. His hair is wavy, so it's hard to tell without measuring, and I don't know exactly when his last haircut was.