Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how many hair toys/pins do you need for your average updo?

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default how many hair toys/pins do you need for your average updo?

Since I am still bothered with how many wisps and frizz I have when I try to put my hair up, I was wondering if others here experience the same, or what 'normal' is among LHC members.

With a messy, twisted updo - my default - I put the bulk of my hair into a Ficcare. Then I secure both sides with bobby pins, then the bangs with two more, finally, I have to control my neck wispies with another bobby pin. That means, on a good day, 5 long bobby pins and one Ficcare to control my hair. Sometimes, if I haven't twisted my hair well enough on the sides before putting it up and back, I need two more side bobby pins for the sides behind and below my ears. So 7 bobby pins and a Ficcare!

With crown braids, which I've just mastered, I need three bobby pins to hold the end of the braid wrapped around my head, and a bobby pin for my neck hairs. 4 total, assuming there aren't any bumps or lumps I have to 'correct' with pins.

Compare that to my friend A. whose hair is also fine and BSL but straight and thick, or my acquaintance R. with APL straight, M hair - both have just one elastic holding their hair back and it STAYS.

What's normal around here? What 'do do you do (heh heh) and what do you use to hold it? How many toys?

curious,

Katze
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    mbl/waist/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

I usually do nothing more than a simple cinnabun. The way I finish the style, I only need one stick or fork (I'll push it up and then back down through scalp hair). I get a lot of neck whispies, but I usually just leave them. On the few occasions I have actually tried to use bobby pins, it only takes two to keep them from going anywhere.
    "I see the time. But I would rather listen to my heartbeat." ~Laila Jadallah

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Most of the time a pair of hairsticks, a ficcare, or a fork is enough. If I have some loose coils hanging or I want it extra secure I'll add 2 to 4 Good Days pins. Occasionally I'll switch things up and use my quattro starlight mini sticks (3" metal hair sticks) or hair scroos but I much prefer the Good Days pins. The trick is to angle them so the round part caves away from your head, otherwise the pointy ends will stab at the scalp all day long.

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

I hate to post this... but if it takes more than one, I can't be bothered. I have some face framing layers that don't always stay in, but it's cool, that's one reason I wanted them.

(If it was a pair of sticks I would use two and count them as "one toy," lol.)
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    ??/38.9/39 in
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Braided buns: 1 stick/fork or 4 pins

The killer: 1 stick/fork + 8 pins

Cinnamon bun: 9 pins, but I already need 6 to keep the inner coil flat, to keep it from transforming into a beebutt bun

Chinese bun: 1 stick and 4 pins

Woven bun: 2 sticks and 4 pins

10sec bun: 1 stick
    Last edited by Isilya; June 7th, 2008 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Making my sentence understandable
    Lady Isilya Nimblefingers of the Flowering Buns in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    tb/tb+/clssc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I don't have layers or a fringe to deal with, so one stick, pair of sticks, or fork is enough to secure my everyday 'dos - cinnabuns, braided buns, knots, various other buns.
    I need four bun pins to secure the ends of my Chinese bun.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Cinnabun: 3 scroos or one Ficcare.
    French twist: one Ficcare, Flexi 8 oder two sticks (when put up wet)
    braided bun: 3 or 4 scroos
    flipped braid: one flexi 8
    Chinese braid: one stick and one scroo (sometimes two)

Before I discovered the scroos I used bobby pins quite generously. Somehow the scroos hold irrational lots of hair. You may wish to try them.

I'm not perfectionist about smoothness, though. Actually, a little wispy doesn't disturb me, up to a certain point when I feel i have to re-do.

I have to re-do my dos more often when done in dry hair. Post-wash updos hold a bit better.
    1b F ii/iii
    92cm/36.2"

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Riot Crrl View Post
    I hate to post this... but if it takes more than one, I can't be bothered. I have some face framing layers that don't always stay in, but it's cool, that's one reason I wanted them.

(If it was a pair of sticks I would use two and count them as "one toy," lol.)
    This sums up my philosophy as well! Less is more!
    SuperCool Sunglasses generously provided by snowbear!
    Lady Wavelengthe of Auburne Waves, Order of Long Haired Knights

Herb user/hair origamist icydove's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/ii

I'm a one (or at most two) hairtoy kind of girl. Cinnabuns require two hairsticks or a couple of Amish or Wavelength pins (DPNs). Anything else like a F-8 requires one stick or fork. Anything that requires more than that is too much trouble unless it is a special occasion
    Wash: shikakai and amla tea, Condition: hibiscus and elderflower tea with honey
    Leave-in: aloe vera gel and apricot kernel oil, Extras when needed: coconut oil and shea butter

Length
    17"/30"/50"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I only use bobby pins when my fringes annoy me for some reason or I'm physically active..

I'm a one stick kind of girl, so besides 1 or 2 bobby pins I use 1 stick, 1 fork, 1 ficcare or 2 small jaw clips for almost every bun:
    Cinnabun
    Figure 8
    Flipped up cinnabun
    Lazybun
    Orchid bun
    Braided bun
    Wrapped bun etc
    - "If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable"