Thread: Lush Brun Henna

Length
    CBL/MBL/Waist

Default Lush Brun Henna

Hi, I stopped using powdered henna (pre-mixed like light mountain) because I was getting breakage due to not wrapping it. I tried wrapping it but the colour was way to warm for my skin tone.

I started using demi-permanent colour and I don't like it at all, I really miss the henna shine and dont like using the chemicals.

I was wondering if I used the Lush henna and didn't wrap it if I might have less chance of breakage. I thought maybe because its based in coco butter that it might protect my hair from breakage.

Would love to hear your opinions on this.

Thanks for reading
    Lilly

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Lush Brun Henna

The key thing is that if the henna dries, it doesn't matter where it came from. Henna is effectively mud. Dried mud in your hair is gonna make your hair break. The coco butter won't make much difference, and as someone who's used LUSH henna, while I have nothing positive or negative to say on the color or conditioning it imparts, I can very assuredly tell you dealing with their henna is worse than anything else you'll encounter in terms of preparing because it's in a brick. It's an absolute exercise in aggravation to melt into something that you can put on your hair.

TLDR: Yes, you'll have to wrap LUSH henna too, or your hair will break.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    CBL/MBL/Waist

Bugger! I wonder if I just try and make my own mix from BAQ henna/indigo and just add more indigo than I think I need and wrap it, will that work?

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Are you looking more for brown or for red-brown? If you're aiming for brown, a two step indigo might do you. I am crawling through the forum to find the thread but I cannot to save my life. There is a thread somewhere about it I'm sure.

I did find this:
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=97499 from this thread https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=112982

There are some color experiments available here:
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ead.php?t=1380

If you're looking for reddish brown and want it to be cool reddish brown and not warm reddish brown you could also try picking up some cool dark red in Manic Panic (like Vampire Red, Divine Wine, or Red Velvet) or similar and mix that into your henna. That's how I got my henna to be cool red (did still flare orange in the sun but I imagine you're familiar with that).

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Also, if you're ok to both wrap and deal with the hassle that is melting it down....
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...=1#post1108194
    Poster says Caca Brun gives a nice brown shade without any red.

But for the love of hair, wrap your hair when you do it.

Length
    CBL/MBL/Waist

Thanks so much! I'll read through it all. I'm looking for just brown

Length
    SL/WL/??
    Type
    1b/F/i

Yes, wrapping up your hair with henna in it seems like a lot less work than grating up and then melting the lush henna bars, which still are going to require wrapping your head.

If you're not picky about mess, have you tried just using a plastic grocery bag? Instead of something like saran wrap. You can gather the loops of the grocery bag to tighten it across your forehead. I use saran wrap myself but I understand that it is a little annoying. Or you could get some cheap shower caps--that would be very easy.