Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: February 2021: Link Bun

Default Re: February 2021: Link Bun

Well, here's my final attempt. It looks similar I think? I wish I got a better angle and the stick wasn't so crooked. Oh well I'm still learning how to take decent photos of the back of my head. I attempted like 10 different buns before this and I needed to give my arms a break.

Length
    16/26/36
    Type
    2a/F/i

I love this! I also love hair sticks. (I made one from porcelain but it is not glazed, I wonder what is the official point of view on its hair damaging properties.)

Length
    27.5"/35"/36"
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Okay so done correctly, this looks a LOT like a LWB? Or am I doing this wrong?
    I am Christian. This said, if you post to me in an effort to make a micro-aggression against my faith, values, freedoms, or against my religion; refrain. I do not tell others what to do and expect the same respect in return both on LHC and IRL. Thank you.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Laurel Rose View Post
    Looks great! (And so shiny )

Quote Originally Posted by Strands View Post
    Okay so done correctly, this looks a LOT like a LWB? Or am I doing this wrong?
    No, I don't think so, because it's supposed to have the bit crossing over in the middle to look like a link. I think Laurel Rose probably got it right. The photo on the original thread appears to look similar.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I wonder if part of why it isn't looking "right" to me is that my shed has grown in enough to make my first loop significantly thicker than all other loops and that is throwing off the visual?

This is how it is supposed to look:

I'll give it another try and get a picture.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Ah, thanks neko_kawaii, for sharing this picture. I had a similar result after one try but wasn't able to reproduce it.

Well, I finally got around to make some sort of a video tutorial...hope this helps some who are struggling to make it. And please let me know if you think I should have done something different...written instructions can be vague (or perhaps I can be vague!)

Oh, and I should say, if you want to avoid the chit chat at the start...jump to the 3 minute mark.

Last edited by PeonyBlue; February 11th, 2021 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Added afterthought
    Letting my hair do whatever it wants to do!

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Thanks for the video! I caught a glimpse in the first time you did it where it does indeed look like three links in a chain but it was loose and you twisted the first loop to tighten the bun and it lost the shape. I've been doing this one repeatedly, trying different possible configurations and I have found that twisting during the construction of the first loop makes it a stronger bun, but I haven't managed to make it look like a chain again. Ah well, I have that picture from a few years ago.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Oh! Is that what it’s meant to look like...3 links in a chain! That makes so much sense - I feel a bit slow that I didn’t twig before now

Time to try it again and see if I can get it to look like that again...I’ll post a pic if I can manage it!
    Letting my hair do whatever it wants to do!