Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: February 2021: Link Bun

some out of the way corner of the universe
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: February 2021: Link Bun

Sorry for the off topic but what fork are you wearing, Finda? It's beautiful!
    CL/SL/APL/BSL/WL
    123456 months since trimming

Length
    APL/37/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    Sorry for the off topic but what fork are you wearing, Finda? It's beautiful!
    Thank you, I love it
    It's by this maker:https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ad.php?t=20490. The thread also has the link to their etsy store.

some out of the way corner of the universe
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Thank you!
    CL/SL/APL/BSL/WL
    123456 months since trimming

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

How strange! I managed this one back in the day and now I can't get it to look like a link at all! *pout*

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    pixie/MTL/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

I formed this twice, using slightly different methods. Both looked nice but pulled down almost immediately, as most buns do in my slippery hair.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Finda View Post
    Or, after reading the instructions of the first page on the other thread I came up with this

It's beautiful! Looks like an upside-down LWB to me

I tried a couple of times last night and ... nope. The first one sort of kind of looked like the right basic shape but without the middle prominent link (and barely held), and the second one was a total fail! I'll have to post pictures when I have some brainpower again. Would love to see a video for this. The 'simple' version sounds like a bun I already sometimes do and looks nothing like it because all the excess length is in the second loop, rather than two loops over the top of the excess length.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    APL/37/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    It's beautiful! Looks like an upside-down LWB to me

I tried a couple of times last night and ... nope. The first one sort of kind of looked like the right basic shape but without the middle prominent link (and barely held), and the second one was a total fail! I'll have to post pictures when I have some brainpower again. Would love to see a video for this. The 'simple' version sounds like a bun I already sometimes do and looks nothing like it because all the excess length is in the second loop, rather than two loops over the top of the excess length.
    Thanks! I thought so, too. In fact, I double checked with a picture of an actual lwb to make sure there was a difference lol

The easier version that's described in the other thread (wrap around the fingers once and then around the base), I have done for as long as I know how to do buns. To me it was a precursor of the lwb when my hair wasn't long enough yet to wrap it around the fingers and the thumb.

Does anyone have a picture from back then to compare results? I wasn't able to find one.

This looks interesting...I’ve never tried a bun just from written instructions. If I get time in the next few days I’ll put a video together of my feeble flailings and see if I can do it
    Letting my hair do whatever it wants to do!

Length
    21/25/45
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by KokoroDragon View Post
    I understand how to do it, but my hair is nowhere near long enough! Let's see if I can elaborate on the instructions to make them easier to understand...

1. Gather the hair in a ponytail. Hold it with the thumb on the bottom and first two fingers (index and middle) on top.
    2. Flip the hair up and over the two fingers on top, creating a loop around the fingers. The tail of the pony should now be hanging down, to one side of the base.
    3. Bring the tail under the base and around the top once. Let it hang down, the same as in the previous step.
    4. Flip the hair up and over the fingers again, creating the second loop, and wrap the rest of the hair around the base as before.
    5. Take your fingers out of the loops and spread them so one is on either side of the bun. Insert your stick through the loops to secure.

Sorry if this doesn't help, I wish I could make a video for you all!

ETA: I just looked at the link thread, and now I'm not sure I understand after all!
    Good explanation! my hair just isn't long enough
    CL (11/18 ) ~ SL (09/19) ~ APL (04/20) ~ BSL (01/21) ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ Classic
    No trims & no bleach from 10/20

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Please someone come to our rescue and make a tutorial for the link bun.
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.