Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: How long ago did your hair growth journey start?

Length
    Neck/Waist/Knee

Default Re: How long ago did your hair growth journey start?

I've wanted long hair for pretty much all of my life. I think from about Age 8 onwards. Mostly I wasn't able to do anything about it though.

I did grow it long for six years, then cut it.... At some point during that time I found the forum. Eventually I started growing it long again and this time it has been for ten years.

Length
    CBL/HL/CL
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Maybe a month or so before I joined,,, so over a year
    33"
    Thinking Long Hair Thoughts

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Hmm..

I had ~MBL most of my childhood.

Chopped to an asymmetrical bob around 2008. One of those that had ~shoulder length in the front and shaved at the nape of the neck.

Grew that out aimlessly with a few visits to the hair dresser until 2015 when I had about waist length hair.

Chopped to shoulder length in 2015 and started researching curly girl. Found this place via curly girl, nopoo etc. topics and started lurking. I tried a bunch of different things for funsies, but wasn't trying to grow my hair though. But I didn't cut it and I guess I was drawn in to the LHC community?

I've found it difficult to be active here when I'm working full time, so I didn't actually join here in April 2017. Coincidentally I went on extended sick leave in May 2017 for like 6 months so I had time to integrate myself into the community...

Now I'm at TBL+
    2008: 24cm/10" 2015: 41cm/16" 2022: 120cm/48" // 2022: 52cm/21"
    instagram

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

2009 is when I first got interested in hair care. I didn't care too much about length, I was just struggling with brittle hair and naturally found long hair communities when looking at how to look after it better. I've wanted long hair for about the past 4 years but never got further than BSL without thinking I needed to cut it because it was so dry. Around May 2020 is when I decided to give it a good go and now I'm at waist length - hoping to reach hip length at least and who knows from there! I thought waist length was my end goal but it doesn't even feel that long (other than when I'm washing it and it slaps around my body!) so who knows where I'll end up

Length
    15/40/tbd
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    Hmm..

I had ~MBL most of my childhood.

Chopped to an asymmetrical bob around 2008. One of those that had ~shoulder length in the front and shaved at the nape of the neck.

Grew that out aimlessly with a few visits to the hair dresser until 2015 when I had about waist length hair. ...

This is basically my story, too! Wandering between APL/MBL from childhood til mid teens when the experiments began. I had a short bob in the late late 90s, a pixie ~2002 (and again in 07!), the asymmetrical bob in 05 (the year I finished college)... generally, though, I was always growing it out, however casually.

I started being more serious about growing it longer than I ever had before - around the time I cut my bangs in early 2017 (I had been vaguely maintaining shoulder/APL for a few years at that point) and was ready to finally work towards my ultimate goal: classic-length hair with short 90s-european-indie-film bangs.
    Lady Daybreak, keeper of the Stars & Sea ☽︎ artist, lover, general mystic

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

In 2010 I cut off my BSL bleached hair and wore it short for about 9 months. then I decided I would go for long in fall of 2011. This was about 7 months after my mm died. I have been to classic cut back to tailbone and on my way to classic again.
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

some out of the way corner of the universe
    Type
    1c/M/ii

First I started to grow in early 2017. I reached APL but had a major shed and decided to cut it shoulder length. I cut it even shorter in December 2018 to make the recovery from the shed easier; styling with a thick layer of new growth was difficult and every day was a bad hair day. I joined here in February 2019 when my hair was just under the ears and now I'm really close to APL. I wish to grow to waist length and then I'll see if I want to maintain or grow further.
    CL//SL//APL//MBL//WL

I got really sick about eight years ago. I chopped my thirty three inch hair off and got a pixie instead. A year later my DL renewal came due and I got another pixie in time for my picture to me taken. It was on my birthday that I decided that I wanted long hair again and ever since then I have been persistent. Right now my hair measures forty four inches and I am hoping to get to mid-thigh/ knee length, that is if I don't reach terminal length first. I love this community and the support it offers as well as the knowledge of hair care that is ever present!

Length
    APL/TBL/Long
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Back in 2012 I stopped all dyes, bleach and heat. Hair grew to classic by 2016, I got bored and went blonde for about a year, then got endometriosis and didn't have the energy to take care of classic length bleached hair. Cut it to shoulder length and started over. Now it's all virgin and approaching hip length again

My current journey started about 2 years and 5 months ago with my buzzcut so I had a "clean" start.

But the first time I ever wanted long hair was maybe 9 years ago? I remember watching a lot of reggae videos and all these people with long, maybe WL, dreadlocks and I loved it and wanted them for myself. BUT I didn't want to grow locs but have "instant locs" done that directly reached WL. I planned to grow to hip and then get them done, so that way they wouldn't be too short. Bear in mind I was SL back then and I have never had hair longer than BSL so that phase didn't last long.

The next time I wanted long hair was when I started taking care of my curly hair, about 5 years ago. I remember googling a lot of hair-related stuff and I would always end up here in the LHC, it wasn't long before I started getting hair envy and I learned that it wasn't that my hair "doesn't grow past a certain length" but that I never took proper care of it. So I chose Classic as my goal length, but it wasn't until I buzzed my hair two years ago that I took my journey seriously.

Curly:
    Buzz~NL~SL~APL~BSL~WL
    Buzz | NL | SL | APL | BSL | WL | HL| TBL | Classic