Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How long ago did your hair growth journey start?

Length
    HL/TBL+/TBL+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: How long ago did your hair growth journey start?

I'd consider the start of my journey to be 2013. I'd been checking this forum since I think maybe 2007ish but in 2013 I started actively implementing the wisdom I learned here and then a couple years later I officially joined the board.

My path has been more about hair quality than quantity. I started off with decently long length at hip, but it was a very damaged hip length and was losing length to the damage... I grew it fairly easily to tailbone (my chosen length limit) but had some years of rehab to contend with.

I discovered my hair wants simple but specific care and I'd made a few key mistakes it just couldn't handle - a small handful of flat ironings took a huge toll, having razor-cut layers put in was probably the worst possible type of cut for my texture, and trying to go more natural by eliminating conditioner and stretching washes was the polar opposite of the kind of care it needed.

My journey has been mainly about microtrimming, bunning for sleep, daily shampoo/conditioning and patience. It's really not taken much effort but it's taken lots of time and consistency for my hair to recover from the trauma I'd unwittingly subjected it to.

My hair feels in pretty great shape now - I think it's finally forgiven me
    ▪daily washing▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the scalp▪combing from the top down▪hair worn down and loose▪

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by dreamingofcurls View Post
    Thank you! You've had a very lengthy relationship with long hair then I'm amazed...also, not knowing how to take care of it is me now I think I'm just starting to get a very basic grasp of what split/damaged ends entail after some very elementary research earlier this afternoon. Hair elastics, too! I just recently switched to scrunchies after years and years of only elastic bands. Not even sure how good or bad that is yet, so I'll need to do some more research there but it's a start.

4 years and counting. Very cool How big of a difference do you think the new shampoo/washing methods made for you, or did the biggest change come from somewhere else with your nourishment and growth?
    very good!
    You'll get there! Yep scrunchies are better than elastics

The biggest change really was learning actual protective styles. Along the way I changed to less harsh shampoo which was a major help for my roots, eventually figuring out a more moisturising routine (more conditioner and leaving it on for longer, mostly!) and I've seen a difference in my texture from doing so, and combing instead of brushing, eventually embracing the clumps so combing a lot less and my hair is a lot happier. But it's been a process, and even now although my desire to experiment is over, I am still alert to tweaks that might be beneficial. One big problem was developing sensitivities to things - which I've not entirely pinned down yet - so my scalp has directed my shampoo choices more than anything else. But that's okay because for the lengths, conditioner is far more important than the shampoo

It feels a clichť to call it a journey but it really is unless you hit on the perfect routine straight away (but even then people still have to learn how to deal with it at different lengths), so enjoy yours - happy growing!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    buzz/16/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Welcome, dreamingofcurls! This time around, my journey started in September 2019, when I decided to stop maintaining my super short buzzcut.

My hairís been yo-yoing from short to about APL though since I was 8 (when I first decided a pixie cut would look cute, and then cried and asked the hairdresser if she could glue the hair she had cut off back to my head!). Iíve had a lot of fun with crazy styles and colours over the years, but this time around, Iím committed to treating my hair kindly, and am very curious to find out just how long it can grow!

Length
    BSL/TBL/Wrist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/iii

August of 2018 methinks
    * BSL* MBL* WL* HL* TLB * ...

Length
    Waist/Hip/Class
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I grew mine out from about BSL to hip/TBL about 7-8 years ago, then cut to about chin in a multi staged fever of madness. I really hated it at that length and it took about 6 months before I could bear to wear it down, and about a year or two before I felt myself again. I maintained at waist for a long time, then in the last 6 months or so I've started to grow it out again.

Length
    APL/TBL/term
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Back in 2011 I'd say was when I finally stopped the bleaching, heat, etc and started following the LHC advice. It took quite a while for my hair to finally be long and in great condition. I'd say it wasn't until 2016 that it was great.

Now I feel like I'm starting over in a way because I had a huge shed after my recent surgery. So weird to not have my thick hair. Oh well, it'll grow back and be like it once was eventually, just takes patience

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Welcome dreamingofcurls!

I had my hair fairly short for years, the last year or two at a chin length bob. In mid 2017, I just didn't get around to cutting it for awhile, and decided I liked it longer. It wasn't healthy at all, so I decided it needed a trim about a year later. Unfortunately, I cut in a lot of layers, besides losing 4 inches off the ends. It's now tailbone length, but I'm still growing out those blasted layers. With age, my light brown hair was a mousy graying brown. I finally started using henna and love it!

Along the way I've learned a lot about what my individual hair needs. Everybody's is different. Without enough protein, mine just won't hold moisture. I don't have a good photo, but here's one I took recently.

Length
    SHL/34.5/35.4
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Long ago, but kept falling for monthly trim is necessary for hair growth ?!
    But dedicated with care, February 2018.
    I'm in my 4th year! Haha. It's great to see how much hair grew in 3 years. From shoulders to BCL. Amazing what you can do when you avoid scissors.
    Habits? Hmmm...
    1) Oiling my hair weekly was there since the beginning. I was convinced and still am that that's how you avoid ratty ends. Whenever I paused for few months, my ends were thinned out. Not sure if it's related, but I believe it is.
    2) I stopped visiting my hairdresser. I started s&d and never looked back. That said, you need to get some good hair scissors.
    3) I bought a lot of better products, I look at ingredient lists everywhere.
    4) I still use elastics for my braids, cause scrunchy is too much for my thin end braid. I bought wooden brush, boar brittle brush, wooden comb. I detangle with fingers mostly, don't rip out my fine hair anymore. But on a daily basis since I'm very near BCL, I bun my hair and use small clips, they don't rip my hair or make tension on my scalp.
    5) My wash day routine is much more complicated since I joined LHC tbh, I do double conditioning, which kills me. Idk what to do for 6 minutes, I can't shave my legs every other day. But other than that, I love the results.

I can't believe it took me so much to find this place. I joined in Jan 2020, and this place existed so much longer and I could have avoided so much disappointment and have my hair long way before. I wished for long hair since kindergarten to be honest, but in my small circle it's not something you do, and you can't get any good advice tbh. This forum is a game changer in many ways.
    Last edited by Belgrade Beauty; February 4th, 2021 at 08:27 AM.
    Growing virgin hip length

Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Four years in March! That's when I had my big shave and now I'm around BSL when dry or lower back TBL when wet!
    [Shaved | Pixie |Chin | Shoulder | APL |BSL | Waist | Onward...]

Type
    1a/F/i

I believe for me its been exactly 1 year and 19 days! At the beginning it was so hard not to cut, and now I'm halfway back to where my hair was before cutting it into a bob at 15. My hair was around bra strap length. I'm 21 now, so I had short hair for almost 5 years. It certainly gets easier after a while of practicing better habits. Oh, and I only had one trim in that time! I'll trim again this October on the one year anniversary of my last trim. <3