Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How long ago did your hair growth journey start?

Default Re: How long ago did your hair growth journey start?

That's so cool! Definitely something to be proud of. I feel a lot more encouraged about my own journey reading this, as well as everyone else's posts. I guess it's never too late to start. Also, love the pics! I'm getting very pretty faerie/elvish vibes mixed with something painterly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark40 View Post
    Hi there! Welcome to the forum! I've been on my long hair journey off and on since I was 14 years old in high school. When I reached the age of 18 I did reach BSL but then I cut it back to shoulder length, and I wore it at that length for many years from 18 years old up until I was 26 years old. I got some extension and let it grow out to a little pass my shoulders up until I made 26 years old. Then, when I made either 28 or 29 years old I decided to bleach my hair and it was still rather long like armpit length. Then, I darkened it to a plum color, and it was still long at armpit length. Then, I bleached it again when I was in my early 30's, and I would get scissor-happy and trimmed it back to shoulder length. Then come 2010 is when I first discovered LHC, and I've been on my long hair journey ever since. i've been growing my hair long for the last 10 years.
    Just realized I forgot to quote-reply :,)

Thank you! It's nice to feel so welcomed here.
    Wow, that's a good bit of time! It's cool that you began so early, too. I wish I had realized the value of my own hair at that time, too. I think I remember my hair usually being somewhere around BSL to WL most of my life, but it's not something I really paid attention to or thought about until more recently now that it's all gone.
    It sounds like you had a lot of time to experiment though, which is awesome. Plum-colored hair...sounds amazing!! I've only had highlights before but colors like that keep me tempted.

How do you like your hair now?

Quote Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
    It'll be 10 years this October since I started growing, starting around BSL. It's a long road but an enjoyable one; my younger self would be very happy to see where I am now.
    Forgot to quote-reply :
    But that's so cool! Definitely something to be proud of. I feel a lot more encouraged about my own journey reading this, as well as everyone else's posts. I guess it's never too late to start. Also, love the pics! I'm getting very pretty faerie/elvish vibes mixed with something painterly.

Quote Originally Posted by KokoroDragon View Post
    I suppose my current hair journey started in December of 2019. I started growing out my hair from a pixie a few years before that, but due to some hair decisions I made I chopped off a bunch of damage at that time and made a dedicated effort to take better care of my hair and grow it really long. Once I found LHC, it became a lot easier and I've been learning new things about my hair and hair care in general ever since!
    That's a good bit of time! I definitely relate to the hair-chopping thing though. I went ahead and got rid of mine a couple of months ago (maybe August?) and it's been crazy ever since. I'm trying to learn my type as I mentioned in my original post! Your hair looks beautiful.

What do you think has been the best or most useful part of the community experience to you and how it changed your approach on self (hair) care?

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Welcome! I had long hair since childhood after wanting to grow it from a bob around age 6, but I didn't know how to take care of it so had an annual chop to get rid of what I now know were damaged ends and I kind of was stuck between hip~tbl give or take a couple of inches. Until the end of 2016, a few months after I came across LHC (I was looking for ideas trying to find a new shampoo / washing methods) and that's when I decided to stop using hair elastics and try to look after my hair better, just to see if it *could* grow beyond tailbone length. So 4 years
    Thank you! You've had a very lengthy relationship with long hair then I'm amazed...also, not knowing how to take care of it is me now I think I'm just starting to get a very basic grasp of what split/damaged ends entail after some very elementary research earlier this afternoon. Hair elastics, too! I just recently switched to scrunchies after years and years of only elastic bands. Not even sure how good or bad that is yet, so I'll need to do some more research there but it's a start.

4 years and counting. Very cool How big of a difference do you think the new shampoo/washing methods made for you, or did the biggest change come from somewhere else with your nourishment and growth?

Quote Originally Posted by Cg View Post
    This month marks 8 years from pixie. I whacked off all the layers when the shortest was around BSL-ish, I think.

I did grow to knee several times in the past.
    Congrats!!! Happy 8 year anniversary I've never hit anything past WL (maybe slightly HL?). Here's to another great year!

Quote Originally Posted by lakhesis View Post
    Welcome to the forum

I've started properly looking after my hair in 2017. I dyed it for one last time - I got balayage, so it blended the roots with the bleached ends. I started with a very natural approach to hair care and that's how I found the forum. It's going to be 3 years since I joined soon
    Thank you!

A final dye, then bon-voyage...very romantic. :star: Had to look up the term since I'm not familiar with it, but it looks pretty! The origin of the term seems especially neat. It adds a nice touch to the technique itself, I think. I love the hair now, though! I'm glad you were able to switch habits and find something more comfortable overall I'll be looking, too!

Quote Originally Posted by JasminxCat View Post
    Hello welcome
    I began my hair growth journey in 2019. I decided if I wanted to grow my hair long, I had to give up heat because I would use flat irons and blow dryers obsessively. My hair is longer than its ever been at mid back length now, I'm still slowly removing bits of heat damage but my hair should be completely virgin in another year with microtrims and regular S&Ding. I'm hoping to reach TBL, maybe longer if I decide
    Thank you!

Your hair looks great. I don't know much about hair still to be honest, but wow. Hair can revert/become virgin again? This sounds like such an obvious question like, of course it can! Once it's regrown and all the dead growth is gone and everything, but still, I'd never heard that before. That's really cool!

Microtrimming and S&D though, wow...you're so disciplined! I'm impressed. Your hair looks super pretty, and I'm looking forward to your continued journey! I'm sure you can do it. Maybe I'll try out these things or look into them myself, too This made me realize I don't even know how long it's been since I looked at my ends

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaBelle View Post
    I would say my journey has been on and off, I grew up always with long hair but puberty and experiments ruined it. I chopped it to chin length late 2019 and have been growing it since.

I have only properly cared about my hair in lockdown, before i would bleach it and just treat it horribly. Now iím very gentle and excited to grow it out!
    The teenage years of hair care are always the worst...at least in my experience Lockdown's been a blessing in some ways at least for the moments of self-reflection it's provided some of us. It's definitely made me reconsider my hair care, among other things. I'm excited for you, too! Keep it up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jools69 View Post
    My current hair journey started 5 years ago after a disastrous shoulder length perm. Once all the damage was trimmed off every 3 months for a couple of years, I started looking after my hair much better and now itís at waist - the longest itís ever been!

Before this, Iíve always wanted waist length ever since I was a child, but my parents were against me having any long hair - even into my teens. Of course by then, peer pressure attributed to me keeping my hair at shoulder length and then I had perms on and off for several years in the late 80s and 90s. I would try to grow my hair long in between and it would reach armpit length, but then I would get bored and cut it into a bob or have another perm. Now at my age, I donít care what others think, what I should do with my hair!
    Oh my gosh. That sounds terrible : I'm so glad you're out of that stage now!! It looks so long and pretty, though. You've made so much progress !! Also, very cute cat to boot.

Wow, that's insane. My parents were the exact opposite! I was never allowed to cut my hair until just a few months ago, and at this point I'm twenty-two. Just that was pulling teeth. My hair never grew any longer as a child or teen (I think because of all the straightening, products, treatments and other things done to it) so it always stayed around waist length until I cut it all off.

It sounds like the perm was a good step forward towards taking control of your hair and making a change, at least in some ways. It's awesome that you're following what you think and staying true to how you feel. Keep it up!! Or down! However you prefer