Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How long ago did your hair growth journey start?

Length
    SL/Knee/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: How long ago did your hair growth journey start?

My parents let me grow it down to APL and let me grow out my layers and bangs when I was 12, I wanted to grow it longer then that but my Mum kept trimming it to that length. At age 14, Some girls talked me into getting a professional haircut to my shoulders which I instantly regretted. At age 16 I got damage from heat and bleach foils so I got it professionally cut above my shoulders with layers. She did an amazing job and when I complimented her work, I found out that she has had further training to learn to cut curly hair. I started to grow it out straight away as I prefer longer hair.

Between 17 and 19, my hair was always between SL and APL. My Mum usually did my trims but there was twice I went for a professional trim at two different salons since I hadn’t been to my parents in a while and both times I walked out with a haircut to my shoulders with layers I didn’t ask for. I only let my Mum touch my hair after the second time it happened.

When I was 19, I missed one of my four time yearly trims as I hadn’t been to my parents in a while and it grew to MBL for the first time in my life. My Mum cut it back to APL. That’s when I realised why my hair could never could grow past APL. I started doing my own trims after that and eventually stop trimming altogether.

By 2010, my hair was to my waist which I always worn down and it was becoming impossible to detangle. I thought I was going to have to cut it but decided to do some googling which is how I found this forum. After browsing for a while, I decided to join. And my hair has been continuing to grow ever since.
    Hello

Length
    short/hip/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

About 6 years. I was led to believe that fine hair can never grow long, so having it down to waist was my first goal. I reached that length in 2019. Now I want to see if I can grow it longer and keep nice enough ends.

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL+
    Type
    2a/F/ii

It started in late 2018, but I've had long-ish hair pretty much for all my life.
    In late 2018 I had blue hair with almost an year of regrowth, and I (amost) impulsively dyed it black. But I was between BSL and mid back and I hated how that combo suited my style. So, there is were my journey starts, but my goal was just to gain 4 inches.
    After less than a year (summer 2019) I decided to grow out dyes and bleach (I was thinking about that for at least one year at that time) but I needed something to make me appreciate my regular hair color, so I decided I wanted classic length hair. I'm actively growing it for 2 years and 3 months.
    Next Goal: TBL. Final Goal: CL+.
    26/07/2019 last bleach - 11/10/2019 last dye

Length
    3.9/24/30
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Welcome to the forum! I actively started in 2018 (last trim in my signature) and have been growing since. I had multiple "long hair journeys" when I was a teenager, but I never really committed to it 100% (or more didn't know how to take care of my hair) and therefore newer grew much past APL then.
    Last edited by Hexana; January 26th, 2021 at 02:42 AM. Reason: typo
    Don't regret the chop, but now I want to see how long it can get

Length
    Chin/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I've wanted long hair since I was 16, and I'm 26 now. I had no knowledge at all about hair at all and I dyed it and used heat every day. Washed every other day and barely used conditioner!

I really started to learn how to care for my hair when I was 18/19 and first dyed my hair a bright hair colour (turquoise). I dived into haircare online and amassed a lot of information about how to care for my hair, and it grew down past APL whilst I just kept it turquoise. I also stopped using heat quite as often. But then I decided to try every colour under the sun and that involved a lot of bleaching... whilst still using heat very often too.

By 2016 when I was 22 my hair had got shorter and shorter through it snapping off.

November 2016 I had had enough and decided to chop my hair off to chin length and start fresh. I have been continuously growing it out since. Joined LHC at the end of 2018 and my hair has grown down from collarbone length to waist length since being here!
    Next goal: 34" - Hip

Length
    Hip/TBL+/CL+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Welcome to the LHC!

I was a longhair as a child, but it was cut into a bob before I started school at 7. I think that was what I wanted. By the time I was 10, my hair was long again, and for the next several years, I did all sorts of crazy things with my hair.

I completely isolated myself at 16-17, and that was when my hair grew long again. I was suffering from depression, and I have a memory of standing by the microwave oven at my mom's house. It was dark outside, and with the lights on inside, I could see my reflection from the window to my right. I was wearing a ponytail, and thought to myself: "Huh, my hair has gotten pretty long." I figured it could be fun to see how long it could get.

I've had my hair at hip or longer since at least 2013, but I didn't start taking proper care of it until late 2017 when I began researching haircare on YouTube. Even after that, I still decided to go platinum blonde one more time, so that has hindered my growth journey a bit. Now, I've been growing out natural since spring 2019 and no longer intend to go back to heavily processed hair.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Welcome! I've been growing my hair since I was 16 (started with 0,5 cm). But I wasn't too kind to my hair the first years.

I will crawl out from your screen

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Welcome from me Had long hair as a child but my mum didn’t know how to look after it, bath time tangles (no conditioner!!) Result was hairdressers who cut it to CBL. It’s been short, bob, APL, layered, all lengths except bald. Mid twenties I had BSL length hair then cut it to a pixie - why?!? Actually I think it was because I was doing a lot of exercise and my job then was a PT so short hair was easier. Over the years grew it back to APL where it’s more or less stayed, with and without long layers. Started growing it for actual length 2019. Learned a lot how to look after it from this forum!
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Thank you! It's nice to feel so welcomed here.
    Wow, that's a good bit of time! It's cool that you began so early, too. I wish I had realized the value of my own hair at that time, too. I think I remember my hair usually being somewhere around BSL to WL most of my life, but it's not something I really paid attention to or thought about until more recently now that it's all gone.
    It sounds like you had a lot of time to experiment though, which is awesome. Plum-colored hair...sounds amazing!! I've only had highlights before but colors like that keep me tempted.

How do you like your hair now?

Length
    SL/MBL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

The first time I started actively growing long was 2010/2011. I joined here 2012 after lurking for a long time, this place got me really in to hair care I would divide my long hair journey in two: first one going 2010-2016 and the second one starting around 2018. The first time around I grew my hair to around hip length/tailbone length and grew out hair dye, was natural and long for a some time, started getting some highlights and cutting shorter little by little until I cut to shoulder length in 2018. I started growing longer again pretty much immediately since I didn't like not being able to keep my hair up properly. And so here we are, from SL to MBL and aiming for WL. I have some bits of old highlights and will probably get them done again eventually. Right now I'm fine this way.

Welcome to the forum!