Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grey Ombre

Length
    16/32.5/50
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Question Grey Ombre

I really don't like the brown at the end of my hair. Hair dresser has streaked it to try to blend it with my going grey roots, but it doesn't really work.

I'd like to get the brown bits dyed grey like this

But it would involve bleaching first and there is a long lot of brown that would have to be bleached.

The hair dresser is very good and would not damage my hair, but I'm very on the fence about it. I wish the brown would just go away!!! (the brown is from a home dye job and was much darker).

I didn't want to commit to anything until I spoke to other long hair ladies.

Thanks

Length
    Bald/Pixie/Term

Default Re: Grey Ombre

You'd be better to find a Color toner they netrualizes golden tones so you'd have more of a silvery brown, bleach will damage no Matter how good a hairdresser is,

Still it is a lot of work up keeping artificial silver hair

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    You'd be better to find a Color toner they netrualizes golden tones so you'd have more of a silvery brown, bleach will damage no Matter how good a hairdresser is,

Still it is a lot of work up keeping artificial silver hair
    True, very true. It is the absolute worst. It's like doing roots every month, for sure, and I don't know that in these pandemic times that is a reality (access to hairdressers). On top of that, for it to go gray, it needs to be the lightest blonde (so a lot of bleach from brown) in order to tone it gray. Might not even be possible in 1 sitting, if even 2. Did your hairdresser mention that? Because that is need to know!

I would maybe ask the hairdresser to color your hair as close to your natural color as possible, and do that? Or is that a no-go?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Your hair is amazing right now! It has awesome shine. However I do understand being unhappy with your hair and needing a change. I agree that bleach will always cause some damage, but it can be cared for and just as shiny as beautiful as your current hair. The other thing I am thinking about is how bleach reacts differently when used on dyed vs virgin hair, as bat said maybe a toner would be a better option. Either way I would love to see how it comes out in the end

Length
    Bald/Pixie/Term

What Lapushka said you'd have to be a level 9-10 to get silver like that a level 7-8 might give you a very dark slate Color

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Before commenting to bleach, ask your hairdresser of its possible to tone to a dark ashy color.
    Going that silver will be damaging, no matter what your hair dresser says and you will need to retone periodically to keep away brassy tones

Length
    24+/TBL/E=mc2
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEliza View Post
    I really don't like the brown at the end of my hair. Hair dresser has streaked it to try to blend it with my going grey roots, but it doesn't really work.

I'd like to get the brown bits dyed grey like this

But it would involve bleaching first and there is a long lot of brown that would have to be bleached.

The hair dresser is very good and would not damage my hair, but I'm very on the fence about it. I wish the brown would just go away!!! (the brown is from a home dye job and was much darker).

I didn't want to commit to anything until I spoke to other long hair ladies.

Thanks
    I've seen longhairs dip/bleach the ends, but they consider them cutaways (will be snipped off eventually). So if it's only the last few inches of brown that's worrying you, and you're okay with them being "throwaways", then yeah, you could bleach them. BUT, as mentioned, you'd have to go many levels to remove the brown, and that's a lot of potential damage to deal with in the long run. And if you're looking at blending with the brown and golden streaky bits above it (very fiddly--especially if you're totally removing all the brown) I don't think you'd get quite the grey/white you're after. There's often an element of yellow that remains (been there, done that--my natural whites and silvers are waaaaay lighter, brighter and shinier than any bleach I've seen or used).

I reckon your hair will grow out with a unique ombre as it is! The ashy tones up top will blend while playing havoc with the golden ones, and the end brown colour will fade (and probably be snipped away over time) but it all makes for a really cool mix in the end.
    Lady Soreil, Fey-Born Bard in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    ~spider silk fine, 4.5" pony circ.~

~Back from Tippy Fingers to the Buttzone, yet forever onwards through varied hues of Tawny Trails, towards ye Crystal Cascades~

Length
    Bald/Pixie/Term

The only other solution is cutting off the worst of the Color but your hair is gorgeous, it needs to be long for sure

Length
    16/32.5/50
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Thank you everyone - you have talked me out of it

I haven't spoken to my hair dresser yet, so I'll ask her about a toner.

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I'd suggest you trying a silver-grey deposit dye or a purple conditioner to get a cooler shade. The base is not really light enough to get silver, but an ashier blonde shouldn't be difficult. It would wash away and require some upkeep, but on the other side it won't damage the hair and be fairly non-committal.

I'd do a strand test, anyway, just to be extra safe. Some dyes fade on the bluish side, which may go green over a golden base. Which leads me to say... I don't recommend Pravana Silver, which is really bluish and requires a super white base.
    Actually a purple conditioner may be easier to handle, for these undertones reasons..
    Last edited by SleepyTangles; January 24th, 2021 at 01:57 AM.
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...